• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Checking your browser"

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I just clicked the link for the forum index and got a page that said "Checking your browser before accessing Anime News Network ..."

There was a bit more too it but that was all that I could read before it was gone and I was at the index page. It was just plain black text on a white background.

It does not show in my browser (Firefox) history, so it seems like it was part of the index page.

Has anybody else seen this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm using Google Chrome and no I never seen what you claim. That's kind of odd from reading your statement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
It is possible that it was something that Firefox did.
Firefox is open source and I am using a beta release that was recently updated. So it is possible that this is a minor bug of some sort.
I will just have to be alert for it to happen again.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
The message originated from our proxy, which acts as a layer of security to keep naughty traffic from our servers.

For some reason or another, it decided you needed further investigation so it tested your browser for... something (I don't know what).

Obviously you passed the test, otherwise you would have received an annoying page telling you either
1) Go away
2) fill out this captcha to visit ANN
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:46 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the information, Tempest.

Now I am really curious about why it thought that I needed to be tested, and what was tested, but I am glad to know what happened.
The mention of captcha makes me think that I was suspected of being a bot.
The fact that Firefox is a beta that was just upgraded might have something to do with it.

But it seems like there is nothing to be concerned about. So, thanks again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1