• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Moyoco Anno Has An Instagram And It's Amazing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or has ANN been a bit more "clickbaity" lately?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit it is awesome.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:

Not sure what you mean. Anno is a notable author and this is marked "Interest", which means usually lighter, less informative stuff, so I don't see how it's failing to meet a reasonable standard of quality.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Moyoco's art is beautiful.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:

The "Interest" article titles have indeed gravitated toward "Top 10 list" and meme-style phrasing such as this article's "X is Y and it's amazing" pattern.

Accept the fact that if this annoys you that just means you are now an internet old-man.

...yay for old men Sad
me_barron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
GVman wrote:

Accept the fact that if this annoys you that just means you are now an internet old-man.

...yay for old men Sad

Get off his lawn! Razz

Anyways, don't really know who she is, but, based on these posts, really like her style.
traveling

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
me_barron wrote:

Get off his lawn! Razz

Anyways, don't really know who she is, but, based on these posts, really like her style.

Her last name alone should tell you who she is.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
me_barron wrote:
samuelp wrote:
GVman wrote:

...yay for old men Sad

Get off his lawn! Razz

Do you know who Hideaki Anno is? That's her husband. She wrote a manga about their marriage, "Insufficient Direction".

But she's a great mangaka in her own right.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:

Count me also among those rolling their eyes over these headlines. I've no problem with the Interest content itself and have always enjoyed these articles. But I absolutely hate the trend of being told how I (supposedly) will feel about some un-named attraction hidden within the article, and I will (and regularly do) refuse to click on the links even if they sound like something I'd be interested in. (and that's how I ended up in this forum, looking for a hint about what's so amazing about her instagrams. Now I have to go try and figure it out on the wide open internet for myself.)

If this means I need to start answering to the name Grandma, so be it. I'll have oatmeal raisin cookies cooling in the kitchen. But I feel it would be to both ANN's benefit and mine to just use regular headlines. Like, "Moyoco Anno uses Instagram account to document [...whatever it is she's doing that's apparently too amazing for words]" is just fine, isn't it?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:

The entire point behind interest pieces was to be clickbait. At least ANN won't dissolve into utter drivel with the frontpage full of bullshit fluff articles and very little news. Not for a while anyway.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Good thing I scrapped my original headline, which was, "You'll never guess who has an Instagram now!"

I kid, I kid. I can dial it back.

I also made a conscious decision to not mention who she is married to. I didn't think it mattered, as she is a very accomplished mangaka!
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
The article title did rub me the wrong way a bit. I personally would prefer it a little "dialled back".

True, Bamboo, I don't see that it's relevant. I've just noticed how each of their encyclopaedia pages refers to each other. Certainly better than "somehow marries an artist with actual talent and integrity, mangaka Moyocco Anno" or "marries far above her artistic status to super-famous anime director Hideaki Anno" or the like.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Good thing I scrapped my original headline, which was, "You'll never guess who has an Instagram now!"

I also made a conscious decision to not mention who she is married to. I didn't think it mattered, as she is a very accomplished mangaka!

Haha, thanks for being willing to listen and consider readers' input :) I also appreciate your choice not to name her husband in an article where it wouldn't really be relevant. And I'm glad you brought her instagram account with its lovely artwork to more readers' attention, even if I did get huffy about the headline!
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Makes me want to check out her manga. Very talented lady. I love the feathered lashes and the female forms are so delicate. Reminds me of Kuragehime, and the Fujiko reboot.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

I get where you're coming from, but I would argue that her marriage is relevant because she wrote a book about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2