• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Clannad Kickstarter Adds Side Stories, Manga Stretch Goals

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carefree859

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Interesting Cool
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
All-new CLANNAD anthology manga - $380,000

Pft, easy. The thing still has a month and a half left, I hope they're already thinking up goals for $500k and possibly beyond.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I hope that one of the last stretch goals that they do is for an English dub. I know they said they wouldn't do it, but with the way that this project is turning out, might as well complete the package.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm still hoping for a Vita release, I know it was declined but if money keeps coming in who knows what they could do. Make it happen sekai!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
I hope that one of the last stretch goals that they do is for an English dub. I know they said they wouldn't do it, but with the way that this project is turning out, might as well complete the package.

If everyone's cool with the project coming several years later, that's a lot of lines to dub.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
gravediggernalk wrote:

If everyone's cool with the project coming several years later, that's a lot of lines to dub.

It's already going to be at least another year before it gets released, so it's feasible. Even then, the game's settings could be set to handle a second language, and a sound pack could easily be released digitally after the game's planned release to allow for any overtime needed for the dub.

Even then, I think that, if it is set, it should be one of the last set.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
There are a lot of requests on the KickStarter project's page to change one of the Stretch Goal/add a new one of re-porting to consoles (especially handheld). I'm rooting for that one to happen.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
Whoa, whoa... Sekai is surely on fire. I can imagine how euphoric people will be hearing this news. Hopefully they'll bring more Key VNs especially Angel Beats!
mehh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:00 am Reply with quote
It's a great game, and deserves this.

Besides, the quality of the fan translation was poor, while it was great to play it all those years back, when there was no official English translation of the game, and I am very grateful to those who put in the effort to get the game translated, the end result was playable, but most certainly not fit for a commercial release, quite a bit of it was machine translated and then edited for instance. SekaiProject have already stated that they wont be touching the fan translation and will be hiring a team of skilled, professional translators for this. It'd take more work to edit that to a standard required for a commercial release, than it would to translate it from scratch. Be happy this is even happening, it's amazing news.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:33 am Reply with quote
acetatsujin wrote:
Yay keep stealing the fans work. This shit is already available for free on the Internet.

Why, I found you're always bitter about Sekai launching Clannad. Are you perhaps the member of a fan-translation team?

Although I already played the fan-translated one and I didn't find it totally horrendously horrible as some say, but I really am very grateful for Sekai to bring the official release. Currently there's no proof that Sekai translator team will bring us the best of the best VN translation ever, but since they're paid professional I'm sure they'll bring us a great result. Furthermore, when it's already accepted widely, there'll be a bigger chance for other Key's VNs and VNs in general to come in western market. I am highly anticipating for their next releases.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:16 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
acetatsujin wrote:
Yay keep stealing the fans work. This shit is already available for free on the Internet.

[...]
Although I already played the fan-translated one and I didn't find it totally horrendously horrible as some say, but I really am very grateful for Sekai to bring the official release.

Does no one remember (or maybe they never got to) After Story of the fan translation? There were parts where the 'translation' was so bad I wished they had just left it in Japanese because I would have understood it better. I played the visual novel before watching the anime and the part where spoiler[Nagisa dies] was so butchered I couldn't even tell what happened.

Clannad is infamous in the visual novel translation community as a sort of cursed project that no one can finish, so I'm glad to see it get it picked up by an official company with money. ...And now I'm sure I've jinxed the whole thing and the curse of Clannad will strike again. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:19 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
Whoa, whoa... Sekai is surely on fire. I can imagine how euphoric people will be hearing this news. Hopefully they'll bring more Key VNs especially Angel Beats!

Let's hope Key finishes Angel Beats! without going bankrupt in the process. They're like a year late at this point, with no new announcement of a release date.

Personally, I'd like to see Clannad add an iOS version as a stretch goal. Seems like it should be possible - there's a YouTube video of an English patch of Clannad running on an jailbroken iPhone - but the Japnese iTunes Store only shows official versions of Air and Kanon, not Clannad.

Last edited by invalidname on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:26 am Reply with quote
acetatsujin wrote:

So Sekai - and since they are working in collaboration with Sekai, Key as well - are stealing from the fans' work, although it wasn't an official translation, and was free?

To me it seems that you are either related to the fan translating group, or played the game with the fans' translation, and you are upset about the time you "wasted" on a work that'll get a higher quality, official release.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:04 am Reply with quote
Again, never anything positive from tatsujin. This is a monumental project that could potential pave the way for more as noted by other fans in this thread.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:07 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Clannad is infamous in the visual novel translation community as a sort of cursed project that no one can finish

You wanna talk cursed? Son, let me tell you 'bout a little VN from long ago called Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2