• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Fukushima School Gets Uniforms Designed by the AKB48 Costume Designer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banjo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
designing such unique uniforms must have been tough. Laughing
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
The folks at Futaba Future are going to have quite an awesome time learning knowing that the uniforms they will be wearing came from a costume designer of AKB48.
amagee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
Beyond the somewhat different motto for the school, what's supposed to be special about this place? I wouldn't think off the top of my head that Japan was a place opening new schools that often.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:41 am Reply with quote
That's very interesting to read.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neonie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
Man those designs are unapologetically boring.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
So, technically they would be cosplaying every day for 6 years Laughing
bluesheep02

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:06 am Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
Beyond the somewhat different motto for the school, what's supposed to be special about this place? I wouldn't think off the top of my head that Japan was a place opening new schools that often.

Oh you know, that earthquake we had that wiped out most of Fukushima. It's a recovery project aimed to help rebuild the devastated educational system of that area. You are aware that the devastation is still ongoing, correct?
shiranehito

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:52 am Reply with quote
Well, the uniform looks... so very normal.
But yeah, it's impossible to apply most anime school uniform as real life school uniform. The designs are too absurd to be worn everyday.

So they just put a "normal blazer uniform" with the tagline, "designed by AKB 48 Costume Designer".
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:14 am Reply with quote
Interesting, since my country for the most part doesn't have school uniforms, I never gave much thought to the matter that since different schools all have different uniforms it's an actual meaningful and aesthetic thing to design them.

I also really like the graphic design of the logo. It plays really well off of the fact that the two kanji 未来 look very similar, so the logo has that really visually interesting property of having a near symmetry, or a broken symmetry. Really good stuff.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:34 am Reply with quote
Hmm. If this was a project to help Fukushima after the disaster, then I can see that, but I could have sworn reading a couple months ago that Japan was actually closing schools because of the declining birth rate. Or maybe I'm just mistaken.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:30 am Reply with quote
Real school uniforms have to have practicality and durability as their primary goals, looking nice is very much secondary. These done for the new Fukushima Future School seem to have hit those marks perfectly.

The schools here locally ( Kissimmee, Osceola County, Florida ) do use uniforms which are, unsurprisingly, Polo Shirts in either Black or White depending on grade and seasonally Tan Slacks, Shorts or Skirts for Girls. Practical enough given Florida's weather. Some of the other Private schools go full on with traditional blazer based uniforms similar to what the Japanese use.

When I first moved here running into a gaggle of kids wearing school uniforms while shopping would pull me up short as I had only ever seen that in anime before.

Mark Gosdin
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
Hmm. If this was a project to help Fukushima after the disaster, then I can see that, but I could have sworn reading a couple months ago that Japan was actually closing schools because of the declining birth rate. Or maybe I'm just mistaken.

When you think about it this makes sense, from what I've seen there were places in Fukushima where there were no buildings left standing. So if all the existing schools ( underutilized or not ) in an area were destroyed or left unusable your are going to have to build new ones regardless.

Mark Gosdin
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
Something........... conscionable........... from AKB designer?! Shocked

Well, sailor fuku are declining, like gym bloomers went the way of the dodo.

Tempest_Wing wrote:

They are. This is a combined school for those who remain in Fukushima.

mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Tempest_Wing wrote:

They are. This is a combined school for those who remain in Fukushima.

Yeah I remember hearing about more public school in Japan are closing because of the population decline which was caused by years of Japan's low birthrate or so what I heard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Basically, took the leftover uniforms from "Aitakatta", added some white trim and called it a day I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2