• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comical Psychosomatic Medicine Anime's 3rd Promo Parodies Yo-kai Watch

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
So, uh, identifying as a different gender than your physical one is a mental disorder as well, huh?
This tooootally does not sound like it could be the most offensive thing ever.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Considering the source is supposedly written by a psychologist, I suspect this is going to say more about Japan than it will about psychology.

BrainBlow wrote:
So, uh, identifying as a different gender than your physical one is a mental disorder as well, huh?

However, that one guy wearing lingerie looks more like a garden-variety fetishist (like the dominatrix) than a transsexual.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:

Gender dysphoria is officially considered a disorder in most of the world, even in the west. This classification has been criticized and will likely change in the future, but that's what it is for now. They might just be calling it a disorder here because of that official lingo.

The importance is in how this manga treats it. I'm a bit hesitant about the whole thing, though, because humor can so often lack tact.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:

Metal disorder is define as a dysfunction of the average mental function. In that regard, it does make sense since the vast majority of people would make up the norm and others would be the outliers.
Suzy J Webber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:

Pointing out the fact that GID is considered a mental disorder by the medical community is the 'most offensive thing ever'? I would have personally saved that label for maybe Holocaust deniers, or other groups dedicated to mass murder based on religion or other beliefs myself. Please don't use hyperbole so freely, it undermines actual appropiate uses of the word
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
This can't be taken seriously at all, however it's not going to be right for everyone. Japan's mental health system is useless for the most part and definitely behind the times compared to the US and Europe (compounded by Japanese culture frowning on seeking mental help) so this anime could be a bit off color. I think many will enjoy it if they don't take it seriously and take in consideration on how dreadful the mental health system is there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1