• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Creative Intelligent Arts Steps Down From Under the Dog Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
Hmm....seems like there's some creative differences. I hope they can get things together though as I am actually looking forward to this for quite a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daichi383

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
I was excited when i read Koji Morimoto then sad when it said not "that" Koji Morimoto lol.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping that this project will now turn out well enough that we end up smiling when we ask, "Which Koji Morimoto?"

Mark Gosdin
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
What an unexpected turn of events! Surprised
Here's hoping that Kinema Citrus will fare well with what will now be their production Under the Dog.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
I had forgotten about this feature. For some reason I thought it was a game that Suda 51 was involved in. I guess it was the design work. But hoping that it gets done the way they want.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
I was excited when i read Koji Morimoto then sad when it said not "that" Koji Morimoto lol.

Yeah I thought it was that one, don't know much about this other one.
AnimeTenchou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
Unexpected, but it's not a complete deal breaker.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
I've read the statement on KickStarter; it uses a lot of nice language and all, but what I got from the text was "screw it. If they want to do it their way, let them. I'm out."
Kreion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
But guys, this will save anime!

...because NOTHING has hot girls in skin tight suits in a sci-fi setting about going against the authority...

I really don't like how they've been trying to market this.
r3ronaldo
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
I've read the statement on KickStarter; it uses a lot of nice language and all, but what I got from the text was "screw it. If they want to do it their way, let them. I'm out."

Yeah I feel the same way. Bit worried, never like to see someone back out of a project. Hopefully, it will turn out fantastic.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“In order to comply with certain requests from members of the UTD creative team, and to deliver an unhindered product to our backers, CIA is hereby removing itself from the UTD project,” said Producer for UTD and CIA founder Hiroaki Yura.
“We were very excited to concept and develop UTD but believe this decision is in keeping with our goals for enabling creative teams to retain as much rights and autonomy as possible and to have production move forward with full force.

The way this was phrased makes me think that maybe the creative team didn't really know what funding your project through Kickstarter entailed. Maybe Yura-san eventually realized they wouldn't even consider feedback from backers, or provide materials for regular updates to them, then maybe as the project manager he felt wrong about spearheading the project he sold to 12 000 backers and said "F* it, I'm out.". This is nothing but speculations on my part, but as a backer this news worries me quite a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
I've read the statement the statement on KickStarter; it uses a lot of nice language and all, but what I got from the text was "screw it. If they want to do it their way, let them. I'm out."

That's the feeling I got too. Not that I particularly care about this project. I found the message from that guy saying they were going to save anime from moeblob to be very arrogant and ridiculous considering they're doing "Leather suited big boob girls in apocalyptic dystopia" as if that were the most original shit ever. Still, it always feels as bad news when people start dropping out of projects
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Since this project was always supposed to buck the Japanese "Production Committee" system... I suppose I'll be less worried, at one less involved Producer.

Since it's a brave new world of financing the making of... this may have increased the potential of failing, but then, I figure if you throwdown for kickstarter you are throwing dice -

and they don't stop spinning until you see a product.

cross your fingers.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Really depressing if unsurprising news. Anime really needed this sort of thing to succeed and have some project outside the clutches of the production committee system but of course events have to conspire to make sure that can never happen somehow. Typical, but again unsurprising considering the way things are going. Hopefully it won't discourage others from at least attempting it, but I have a feeling it might AND scare people off of contributing to this sort of approach again out of what basically amounted to false advertising for their investment.

Like what they said was going to happen and how it was going to be used and how the crowd funding just ended up in some in industry producers hands to use...I don't see how that can't make people suspicious and distrusting. Like it's bad enough that there's so much commercial consideration in the industry and way to many cooks in the kitchen with this whole production committee model to regularly produce a competent coherent product, but at least before they were throwing their own money at it. Now they're throwing fans own money at something that is going to pretty much benefit their own interests which is kind of shitty when you think about it.
ReddiShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
But guys, this will save anime!

...because NOTHING has hot girls in skin tight suits in a sci-fi setting about going against the authority...

I really don't like how they've been trying to market this.

CrowLia wrote:
I found the message from that guy saying they were going to save anime from moeblob to be very arrogant and ridiculous considering they're doing "Leather suited big boob girls in apocalyptic dystopia" as if that were the most original shit ever.

Yeah, although I backed the project and am still looking forward to it, the idea that this was some really innovative and out-there concept always rubbed me the wrong way.

Because if there's one thing we know from watching current anime, it's that there are absolutely no dark and violent sci-fi shows. At all. Sell your product on the fact that it's outside committee control, you'll do fine. Don't go making up stuff that's not just blatantly untrue, but also kinda, y'know, stupid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2