• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: LA County Holds Off on Charging Power Rangers' Medina in Fatal Stabbing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh good, let's the investigator do their job and see what the hell happened on that night.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Oh good, let's the investigator do their job and see what the hell happened on that night.

Exactly. All too often, people jump to conclusions before all the facts are in and considered. That's especially true with the Internet and these BS trials by social media.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
Exactly. All too often, people jump to
conclusions before all the facts are in and considered. That's especially true with the Internet and these BS trials by social media.

This applies to many cases. To me, the Ferguson shooting comes to mind on this.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I hope, for that guy's sake, that his actions were in self-defense. Though I still wonder if he had to go that far, if he has MA experience.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I hope, for that guy's sake, that his actions were in self-defense. Though I still wonder if he had to go that far, if he has MA experience.

Well, taken at face value, when someone bashes in the door to your bedroom, he is not there to talk about the laundry. With his girlfriend present, it makes things all the more serious
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

The limits to self-defense that I see is if the offender(s) are no longer a threat and you continue to fight, then it is no longer self-defense.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of awesomely ironic that an Ex-Power Ranger stabbed some one with a sword. Feels better laughing about it since it appears to be self defense.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:
It's kind of awesomely ironic that an Ex-Power Ranger stabbed some one with a sword. Feels better laughing about it since it appears to be self defense.

An argument I can see being against self-defense is if his attacker didn't have any weapon other than using his own body while Medina had a sword.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
The thing that gets me with this case is the sword.
Dfens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
It doesn't matter if the attacker has a weapon or not if you fear for your life or great bodily harm you have the right to defend yourself even with a sword.

Now lethal force in the eyes of the law must end if the attacker is no longer a threat, ie they give up or are incapacitated.

I for one am glad they are actually doing a investigation instead of just assuming that anyone who fights back to defend themselves is the aggressor and stepped over the line.

When you kick down someones door even if it's in your own home you should of thought of the consequences of your actions, especially in a angry state of mind.
est.1983

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:02 am Reply with quote
Hold off? A sword was involved and he plays the role of a power ranger. The shoe fits.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
Good to hear that they aren't rushing to charge. It makes it far more likely that justice will actually be served in what is a messy situation.

Kadmos1 wrote:
ReifuTD wrote:

An argument I can see being against self-defense is if his attacker didn't have any weapon other than using his own body while Medina had a sword.

He could have a gun, and his attacker be unarmed and it could still easily be self defense. The point of self defense isn't to engage an attacker on equal terms, or use the least deadly means of defense available to you. The point is to protect yourself and others from harm. If someone keeps coming at you in spite of the threat of lethal force, you're usually justified in using it.

KH91 wrote:
The thing that gets me with this case is the sword.

Why? Owning a sword, even one with a sharp blade, is not all that unusual among fantasy, history, or martial arts enthusiasts. An actor that did work on a series involving samurai fits right in with the rest. Nor is it unheard of to use such weapons for defense. There was a case in Baltimore 5-6 years ago, where a recently burglarized college student took his sword with him to investigate a noise, and ended up killing a burglar. Ultimately that was ruled self defense.

Notably, in this case, and that case, all it took to kill was on blow. Swords are designed for killing people, and it doesn't take all that much to inflict a wound that causes someone to bleed out and die. A lot of internet commentators don't seem to realize that, though I don't think I've seen anyone falling into that trap here.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
Well it's good to hear that they are not jumping to any conclusions in this case and that they are doing a thorough investigation.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
Good on them for actually taking the time to perform a formal investigation before declaring someone officially guilty. Now if only every case was handled as such...
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
Now that I think about it, this sounds exactly like one of those Phoenix Wright cases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2