• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Yamato 2199 Film's 1st 9 Minutes Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:38 am Reply with quote
really looking forward to this. the series is excellent and i welcome any new Yamato content as long as it has the same mark of quality - and it looks like they've done it again.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
Too bad this won't make it out here, because Voyager's handling of 2199 outside Japan has been despicable to the point of ridicule. They basically canceled their "limited edition" import releases and I doubt they've realized they could just pass the license off to someone who actually cares about it. There was supposed to be a screening of this film too and now that's not happening.

Quite a shame that we can't see a proper release all because of this.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
Not too sure how I feel about this movie, since the plot is basically within the story the TV series.

Seems to me more like some silly Shonen Jump anime movie where you see your characters react to a meaningless and un-altering plot changing adventure.

Would have loved to see a movie about the events AFTER the tv show. Oh well, I'll still check it out.

ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Too bad this won't make it out here, because Voyager's handling of 2199 outside Japan has been despicable to the point of ridicule. They basically canceled their "limited edition" import releases and I doubt they've realized they could just pass the license off to someone who actually cares about it. There was supposed to be a screening of this film too and now that's not happening.

Yeah really, Voyager Entertainment's staff must live in a cave where they dont understand that without streaming your series gets NO attention. And the fact that they were originally gonna try to edit the ship to the "Argo"... Seriously VOYAGER ENTERTIANMENT wins the WORSE ANIME DISTRIBUTOR AWARD OF 2014 and OF ALL TIME in my book.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm eager to see the movie.

I'm not crazy their putting in a side-story in the middle of the voyage home. I guess it does not bode well for a second season.

Here I thought this was going be rehash of television show. Least it's not completely that.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Exactly. Voyager Entertainment has done nothing but make people NOT want to buy this series from them. It's like they actively hate their consumer base. The price was ludicrous and they did no advertising. They had some hapless model hold up cards in videos on their site and that's about it.

Other than Harmony Gold, I have a hard time thinking of a less competent anime licensor. They've been making nothing but mistakes ever since Tim Eldred was let go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Well, I'm eager to see the movie.

I'm not crazy their putting in a side-story in the middle of the voyage home. I guess it does not bode well for a second season.

Here I thought this was going be rehash of television show. Least it's not completely that.

The rehash of the series was A Voyage to Remember, which was released on home video two weeks ago. This movie, Ark of the Stars, takes place between episodes 24 and 25 and aside from the opening credits in this clip being a "Episodes 1-24 in 90 seconds", it doesn't rehash the series.

This part of the trip has not been told in either anime iteration of Yamato in any great detail. Even the original 39-episode synopsis for the original series (which was cut to 26 due to poor ratings) only had one or maybe two episodes at most covering the return trip. This way it has potential to be a lead-in story to a potential remake of Yamato 2/Comet Empire.

It certainly gives the lead-in to sell Gatlantis kits. There have already been multiple Gatlantis ships in the mechacolle line and the first 1/1000 scale Gatlantis kitis out on the movie release date.

I'd be amazed if the main purpose of this movie isn't to kickstart funding of a Yamato 2 remake. 2199 was funded initially from the proceeds of the live-action film, so I dare say the box-office and home video success of Ark of the Stars will have a significant bearing on such a project proceeding.

I've been in Japan for the last three weeks, and there's plenty of exposure for it - events, attraction tie-ins, public transport advertrising, product promotions, you name it. I went to two different events in Osaka on the same day Saturday before last, on opposite sides of town. One had a 5-meter model of Yamato, artwork, merchandise, a kit-building area, and an on-stage appearance from Starsha's voice actress and anime stalwart Kikuko Inoue (was definitely fun seeing that). On the other side of town another large model of the ship was there and they were selling advance tickets, which they've been doing for months now. I got myself one while I was there.

They want this movie to succeed, and from what I've seen so far, I believe it will.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I imported the seven Blu-rays for the Y2199 series (skipping the recap movie), and I'll do the same for this film, whether or not it's got English subtitles.

I'd love to hear about another Y2199 anime series starting pre-production... ^_^
Desslok

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:47 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I guess it does not bode well for a second season.

Are you kidding? That looks like the've done nothing BUT set up season 2, what with all this Comet Empire foreshadowing. Plus you've got a well recieved series - they'd be crazy not to jump on more Yamato.

That said, a pox on thee Voyager! You've totally clusterfucked this release! Christ, I wish you'd give up the license to Discotek. Someone who cares about their shows.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
Wrangler wrote:

Are you kidding? That looks like the've done nothing BUT set up season 2, what with all this Comet Empire foreshadowing. Plus you've got a well recieved series - they'd be crazy not to jump on more Yamato.

That said, a pox on thee Voyager! You've totally clusterfucked this release! Christ, I wish you'd give up the license to Discotek. Someone who cares about their shows.

The big spanner in the works for some reason which defies logic to me is the Hollywood live-action film that Voyager have backed. It's almost as if they want to stop everything else pending what happens with this Hollywood movie.

Don't agree with it in theory, but it's the only reason aside from poor sales of previous volumes that makes any sense, even for Voyager.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
Wrangler wrote:

Did you miss the part where they keep saying "The movie promises to have the "true ending" of the Yamato 2199 story with a three-way battle between Yamato, Gatlantis, and Gamilas."

We've been hearing that series director isn't interested in a second season. He wants to explore a prequel instead. Personally I'm not sure they'd be able to keep up momentum to meet deadlines to have the Blu rays ready to be sold at the movie showings, if they did another 26 episodes. They weren't done in time for chapter 7 and are not being done for this movie.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
Desslok wrote:
Wrangler wrote:

Did you miss the part where they keep saying "The movie promises to have the "true ending" of the Yamato 2199 story with a three-way battle between Yamato, Gatlantis, and Gamilas."

The wording doesn't preclude a Yamato 2 remake. Such a remake would likely have the title of the year it's set in, going by the original, it wouldn be Space Battleship Yamato 2201. "The end to the 2199 story" in that context means the journey to Iscandar. It would mean that in this reimagined universe, "there's nothing left to tell in the year 2199. Bring on the Yamato 2201 story".

Yamato 2 is one of the most popular, if not the most popular part of the Space Battleship Yamato saga. If the movie does well and they're still making money from merchandising, why the heck wouldn't they make it?

yamiangie wrote:
We've been hearing that series director isn't interested in a second season. He wants to explore a prequel instead. Personally I'm not sure they'd be able to keep up momentum to meet deadlines to have the Blu rays ready to be sold at the movie showings, if they did another 26 episodes. They weren't done in time for chapter 7 and are not being done for this movie.

Just because Yutaka Izubuchi isn't interested in remaking Yamato 2 doesn't mean that one of the episode directors couldn't take over as chief director, or someone else for that matter. Granted, it would be nice if Izubuchi did it, but just because he's said in the past he'd rather do a prequel doesn't entirely rule out him working on such a remake.
Desslok

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:

Well, of course that's the end of the 2199 storyline. If they did more, it would be Yamato 2201, wouldnt it?
Ordell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
Sorry for digging up an old thread but I came late to it.

Haven't the writers of Yamato 2199 kind of killed chances for a Comet Empire series? Between killing off Dessla, thus ending his major role in S2, and sealing the Wave Motion Gun to keep Starsha happy, I would have thought they put themselves in a corner.

And on a completely unrelated note, does anyone know if there is any significance of the Yamato returning to Earth on December 8, 2199? Granted, the Japanese do nothing at random, so it meant something to them. Yes, I know it's the day after Pearl Harbor but I'm curious as to what it means to them.
Desslok

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:30 am Reply with quote
Ordell wrote:
Haven't the writers of Yamato 2199 kind of killed chances for a Comet Empire series? Between killing off Dessla, thus ending his major role in S2, and sealing the Wave Motion Gun to keep Starsha happy, I would have thought they put themselves in a corner.

To be fair, they also killed off Desslok at the end of the original Yamato, and kind of handwaved it when he came back in the second season. I imagine they'll do something similar here - assuming they do Yamato 2201, that is.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
Ordell wrote:
Sorry for digging up an old thread but I came late to it.

And on a completely unrelated note, does anyone know if there is any significance of the Yamato returning to Earth on December 8, 2199? Granted, the Japanese do nothing at random, so it meant something to them. Yes, I know it's the day after Pearl Harbor but I'm curious as to what it means to them.

I'd say that it's far from over.

We have no confirmation that Dessler is dead. After all his death in the original seemed even more final.

Meanwhile, just because Yamato sealed its wave motion gun doesn't mean the military back on Earth won't mass produce it, leading to the Earth fleet we see in Yamato 2/Comet Empire. They won't see Okita's promise as binding. That said, the promise was not to use it against other worlds, which, if the ships that equip them can't warp or are merely kept as a home defence fleet, would still technically not break Okita's promise. Keep in mind we never actually see any of the Earth Fleet in Comet Empire warp (although it's assumed it happens off-camera).

Meanwhile, just because one Megaluda-class ship has been defeated, Sabella and the vast majority of Gatlantis is still out there, and while Hyss has taken control of the Garmillas government, it's well-established that the Garmillas military is stretched very thin (Frakken notes this when mentioning the use of Garmilloids as soldiers). The Garmillas Empire could very easily be under threat by Gatlantis sensing the opportunity to strike at the outlying worlds. From there, Earth is threatened.

There's plenty of room left for a sequel series.

As for December 8, 2199, I'm not really sure. Yamato wasn't commissioned until eight days later on December 16, 1941, so aside from it being the date in Japan when the attack on Pearl Harbour occurred. The date Yamato depated in 2199, on the other hand (February 12), was a significant date, being the date in 1942 that IJN Yamato became flagship of the Combined Fleet of the Imperial Japanese Navy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2