• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Rest assured aya_honda, this weekend either today or tomorrow I will be restarting the manga volume discussions back up, now that AX is over and I don't have anything going on until Sunday. So as soon as I get my money from my work, and read the second volume (I need a recap, seriously) I will start it all up. And yes I've noticed I'm almost to 5000.

He wondered earlier this week who would get to their next thousand first...I told him he would be the one.

Looking forward to the discussion of Vol. 2!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:46 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
He wondered earlier this week who would get to their next thousand first...I told him he would be the one.

Looking forward to the discussion of Vol. 2!

Looks like I caught up to you and passed you. Well, it's 5:50 in the morning as I'm writing this, so as soon as I eat breakfast, change, clean, I'll read volume 2 so I can start our little escapade.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote
みなさん、大変お待たせおいたしました。

It has finally come, and I almost forgot about it Sad
Anyways, I am starting the discussions for the second volume of the Fruits Basket series, and hopefully I can see you all come back from what I believe has been quite a long hiatus from us having any real fun here in the FB thread. Anyways, I'll start off with the beginning chapter of volume 2. Volume 2 of the series opens up with spoiler[Hanachan and Uochan coming over to check out the Sohma place, seeing as how they had no idea until volume 2 that Tohru was staying at Shigure's house. This chapter brought out some sides to certain characters within the series that we haven't seen in the series so far, such as Yuki opening up to hanging around with people. We also found out that Shigure writes novels, and if I may bluntly say, rather perverted novels Laughing Uo and Hana leave after spending the night, knowing that Tohru is in good hands, with Tohru so touched by her friends thoughts. (Kyo and Yuki's reaction to that was: Is she going to get married or something?) ]Anyways, I leave for now, hoping to get some reactions to this chapter, and getting more into the volume as the week progresses.

figherholic
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote
Kyo's description of the girls to Shigure was rather classic spoiler["A yankee thug and a psychic freak."] Perhaps a bit cruel but it certainly fit with Kyo's personality at the time. Plus the fact that he was probably still pissed at Arisa.

We also see "the hat" and how Tohru got it. "The hat's" story will come to further light in later volumes of course.

We also learn why Kyo won't attack Yuki at certain times and why he's so angry about it. spoiler[Yuki's even faster when he's half asleep and Kyo realizes that when they are fighting awake, Yuki isn't using his full strength.]

At the end of Chapter 7 there is this conversation:

spoiler["Since Tohru-kun came...Yuki and Kyo have matured. I would like to see them continue in that direction. Of course, knowing you, you probably think the whole plan's doomed to fail."

Now, does this mean that Shigure has told Akito of his plans to use Tohru to break the Zodiac curse?]

Then there is this:

spoiler["I feel sorry for you...Tohru-kun is a dozen times a better person than you are."

In that Shigure claims to love Akito, that was very, very cruel.]

Then we come across Tohru's theory that people don't know what their good qualities are because they are stuck on one's back where one cannot see them. I think that is very, very true. We all have good qualities but we don't know what they are because we can't recognize them in ourselves.

And we also get to meet the adorable Momiji. Momiji is just too darn cute! His bouncy bouncy ways, of course, irritate Kyo who just knows that Momiji's ways will end up in disaster...which happens...fortunately only Tohru's around.

We also me the serious but sad Hatori and learn a portion of his tragic tale and Akito's part in it. I think it's here that we begin to learn what sort of person Akito is...and it's not a nice person at all. We also learn about the relationship between Hatori and Shigure. spoiler[When Tohru asks Hatori which member of the Zodiac he is, Shigure starts to tell but Hatori says (in a voice of doom) "I will tell everyone in the publishing industry everything I know about you starting from when you were four years old..." Shigure begins to sweat and "Soory, tohru Kun, my lips are sealed!" So, not only does Hatori know how to handle Ayame - whom we haven't met quite yet - he also knows how to handle Shigure quite well.]

Tohru also asks Shigure about the Curse and if she needs to do anything. Shigure replies spoiler[You just need to be you."] With hindsight, this is an interesting statement. What does Shigure know about spoiler[Tohru's personality and how that will cause the curse to break.]

We also get to see the main three spend their first New Year together and Yuki and Kyo begin to realize that there are depths to Tohru beyond her surface smile but in this volume, they barely begin to scratch her surface.

We also learn the answer to "What happens to snow when it melts." This really shows you Tohru's (and Kana's) mindset and how she thinks.

This is a good volume, it begins to show you that the various characters have a great deal of depth to each of them and it makes you want to learn more and more about them.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Depth indeed. I was a bit taken aback when I saw there was a darker side to this manga than what so happened in the first volume, that being of Hatori's story. spoiler[A love story to say none the less, but doomed from the beginning. The point behind Hatori and his tragedy is even though they loved each other, how would they be with each other while he was cursed? Plus he could never get permission from Akito. Akito's reaction when you read through the series and going back to that event is understandable. ]But you wonder why in the beginning. Jealousy of something being taken away from you is more than someone can bear, and then you have to grind down on those who treaded your grounds.
viajantedemundos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:15 am Reply with quote
In fact, that's right , but not just that there also spoiler[was Akito afraid to be left behind, because little by little the curse is being broken.]

And Tohru the same thing, spoiler[She was jealous of her father for taken away her mother (point view of Tohru), and afraid, and felt to be left behind by the people she likes.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for being MIA all weekend; I was at a friend's weddding (07/07/07 was a popular date to get married it seems) and the volume discussions are back and I missed it! Crying or Very sad Heh, my friend just returned my volumes 2-5 so I'll probably reread it tonight so I am better able to contribute. Anime smile + sweatdrop
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
Sorry for being MIA all weekend; I was at a friend's weddding (07/07/07 was a popular date to get married it seems) and the volume discussions are back and I missed it! Crying or Very sad Heh, my friend just returned my volumes 2-5 so I'll probably reread it tonight so I am better able to contribute. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Hope that you had a good time!

Read fast!
Ningensei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
So Volume 2.

I always liked reading the backstory on spoiler[Hatori and Kana], it is just so sad and touching. At first, spoiler[Hatori seems like a cold person, because we only know him as the person who has to erase and suppress memories. But then you find out about his own painful past and that he is not cold and emotionless and the tragedy that it was for him to take the memories of the person he loved the most.]

This is also where I started to dislike Aktio. Heh. But of course it was done on purpose and I still don't know yet why spoiler[Akito is the way she is]. But all in good time, I guess. Very Happy

We also got to see the growing feelings that both Yuki and Kyo have for Tohru, when they ditch going to the Sohma house and spend the New Year's with her! I always thought that was so sweet. (Though I always want it to be just Kyo and Tohru..heh I'm biased). Embarassed
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I think that Hatori is a very sensitive person but because of what he's required to do by/for the Sohma family, he tries to hide it under that cold facade. Because, if he really was that cold, he wouldn't love so deeply.

As for Yuki and Kyo skipping the New Year's dinner. Think about it. That was a very brave thing for them to do. Especially now that we know what sort of person Akito is.

And I forgot...we see Haru for the first time in this volume as well. But we certainly don't get to see what he's really like...yet.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
If anybody didn't notice towards the end of the New Year chapter spoiler[Hatsuharu also came up for the first time. Indeed he was calling Shigure "Sensei" of which why he does this will be revealed in later volumes. For the most part, Shigure is let known of how Akito is feeling, and he knows that he is going to have a lot of explaining to Akito of why Kyo AND Yuki aren't there. But Shigure sees this as a good thing, because something is starting to happen.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote
Ok, so I have a quick question that doesn't have anything to do with volume 2 discussion. I'm curious, are we ever going to see spoiler[Kureno in his transformed state]?

Oh, and I also noticed that little intro/cameo before Hatsuharu is officially introduced. I totally forgot about that.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
Ok, so I have a quick question that doesn't have anything to do with volume 2 discussion. I'm curious, are we ever going to see spoiler[Kureno in his transformed state]?

No. There is one acception, and that is spoiler[the volume of which he appears on the cover, there is a bird on the back of the cover. He is released, so we never will know which kind of bird he really was.]
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No. There is one acception, and that is spoiler[ the volume of which he appears on the cover, there is a bird on the back of the cover. He is released, so we never will know which kind of bird he really was.]

I don't remember well but I think it was somewhere said that he was spoiler[ a sparrow ]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
No. There is one acception, and that is spoiler[the volume of which he appears on the cover, there is a bird on the back of the cover. He is released, so we never will know which kind of bird he really was.]

Yes, it was the back cover of Volume 15 that made me curious about his transformation. Since the trend was to have the Zodiac members on the front and their anime equivalent on the back cover, I was just curious.

Thanks for the replies fighter and aylinn. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 86 of 170