• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
In regards to a certain forum user...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:14 am Reply with quote
Yep, I caught animegomaniac being a jerk again. This time, it was on the "unpopular opinions" thread in the anime forum. He didn't just talk down to one fan for liking Kill la Kill, oh no. This time, he indirectly called the entire fanbase idiots for liking the show. I don't care what he thinks, but he's gone too far this time.

I say we ban him. I've given him many chances, but he's proven over and over that he doesn't deserve them. He's an unpleasant individual who's been bullying other members who dare to have an opinion that's different than his. Something needs to be done about animegomaniac, and at this point, kicking him off the website might be the only thing left to be done. Anyone else?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
it's not that I don't sympathize with you, as I've certainly posted threads like this in my innocent youth. What I discovered is that the ANN brass frowns upon these kinds of things - it's considered a form of backseat moderating and it's a no-no. If there is somebody you feel should be given the heave-ho, just report each of their individual posts that you feel violated ANN rules. If management thinks a particular user needs a time-out they will do so. Making threads like this doesn't really help your cause. Just some friendly advice from somebody who has been there before.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
^ Thanks. As a matter of fact, I did report his post. I don't think it's been seen yet. Actually, I've reported a whole butt-ton of his posts. I feel he's shot himself in the foot over and over again. Honestly, I have no clue why he hasn't been banned yet.

One thing I didn't mention at first was something he posted in the top ten lists thread in the anime forums. It was fine at first, until he said the number one most important thing an anime should have was girls (specifically, fanservice showing off girls). Due to our past, I can't help but think that this "joke" hides an uncomfortably misogynistic attitude. Which makes what he said in the unpopular opinions thread extremely hypocritical.

Look, he's been a problem for months, and I've finally had enough.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:14 am Reply with quote
So that user is at it again. OK, you did the right thing by reporting it. To make sure he doesn't edit the statement to make it look like he's innocent, can you maybe take a snapshot of his posts just in case that happen.

EDIT: I check out his post, yeah it's a bit offensive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
in my innocent youth.

I didn't know ANN existed in like 1970s.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
I think it's adorable how you think I was still a youth in the 70s.

As for animegomaniac, yes he strikes me as a bit of tool. I have to admit, I haven't seen too many instances of breaking forum rules so much as just always seeking out the most odious way to express a negative opinion of a show. That's of course when I can actually understand what he's trying to say. I'm not sure if it's a ESL problem or if he just has constant white noise interrupting his thought processes, but most of the time I really have no idea what his friggin' point is.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
I thought you were like 50? Give or take a few years. So I just assumed you were born in the 60s and therefore still a kid atleast in the early 70s. Maybe I was wrong. Sad
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Nah, you're not wrong. I'll be 50 in a couple of all too brief months. I'm just messin' with you.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-
You will always be a sweet young thing to me.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I am going to lock this thread because at this time I don't see what good can come from continuing this particular conversation.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Yep, I caught animegomaniac being a jerk again. This time, it was on the "unpopular opinions" thread in the anime forum. He didn't just talk down to one fan for liking Kill la Kill, oh no. This time, he indirectly called the entire fanbase idiots for liking the show. I don't care what he thinks, but he's gone too far this time.

I say we ban him. I've given him many chances, but he's proven over and over that he doesn't deserve them. He's an unpleasant individual who's been bullying other members who dare to have an opinion that's different than his. Something needs to be done about animegomaniac, and at this point, kicking him off the website might be the only thing left to be done. Anyone else?

You say we ban him? I was unaware you were an admin and had that sort of power. And coming here to complain about another user bullying users and being disagreeable yet making a thread to insult another user, trying to rabble rouse the mob, and acting as if you're the judge here makes you the problem. Not him. You can be tired of him all you want, violating the rules blatantly like this will only serve to get you in trouble, not him. If you dislike him so much than avoid discussions with him. Walk away from topics and threads you can't be civil in. Reporting people and then making threads to complain about them and demand action is not how you handle rude posts.

Let me also make something else crystal clear This backseat moderating routine will not be tolerated anymore. The mods are not your dogs to be called in when you see fit. You do not make policy here or determine who gets banned because you've had enough. You have a real bad habit of acting like this and acting as if you can decide how we handle a user. That is not the case. In fact most times when you report, complain about, or otherwise criticize another user for their behavior you almost always violate the same rules yourself in the process. You almost always ensure whatever action that might be taken against a user will be taken against you as well. I suggest you calm down the hair trigger and mellow out some.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1