• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - The Disastrous Premiere of Tokyo Godfathers

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mosaic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
What was the American made artwork for Millennium Actress?
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, that story was just great... though on a pretty twisted fashion, as I'm sure it was the complete opposite for the person who experienced it.

Quote:
And then he said, “The worst thing about making this movie was being here tonight for the screening.”

And Kon seems like a really straightforward guy.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Mosaic wrote:
What was the American made artwork for Millennium Actress?

Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing that, too.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Justin can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it was some variation on this:

Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Kon didn't like this trip for sure, but reading of the nonstop disasters of the showing and how Dreamworks handled the promotional materials and cover, I don't blame him.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I remember hearing this story way back on the ANNcast decade retrospective (which everyone should listen to if they haven't btw, it's great) and having a combination of laughing fit and semi-panic attack over it. I'm glad we got to hear the full story in all of its cringe-inducing detail.

I think I would literally keel over dead if I was in this situation.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I swear, reading stories about these things happening in New York anime events that decade makes me SO jealous. Literally got into this stuff as NY Anime Festival was dissolving...now, compared to everything going on in the west coast or Otakon, there isn't a whole lot happening here (sorry, AnimeNext)

I don't suppose the current landscape of the industry would enable this sort of thing to happen any time soon.
thenix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna love this segment, I hope it's weekly. I love behind the scenes stories like this although I feel really bad for this one.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow reading that almost gave me an anxiety attack, good story.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
I'm gonna love this segment, I hope it's weekly. I love behind the scenes stories like this although I feel really bad for this one.

It's bi-weekly. Alternating between Tales of the Industry and The Set List each week.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
That was fantastically, horribly awesome. Anime hyper

I'd feel pretty bad for the folks who couldn't get his autograph though. I'd probably just whip out a scrap of paper and beg for it. Never really paid attention to the cover, though now it's very obviously not his work.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
what a story and what a let down that must have been for you, justin. and what a nightmare that must have been for satoshi kon. i can totally understand his sentiments towards the dvd cover due to the fact he was not only the director of the film, but also the character designer. to see the star of the film tampered with would be infuriating. i never understood why edited marketing collateral is so prevalent in the anime and video game industry across different regions. i know our cultures are different, but generally speaking, a beautiful poster/cover design, will have universal appeal.

thanks for sharing your story. i am digging this new column!

Last edited by Xristophoros on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
One of my great memories is getting to meet Kon at a Tokyo Godfathers/Paprika showing in DC. I think it might have been the year before he died. So, it is one of those things I feel super lucky for.

Even though the rest of the weekend was kind of terrible as I was having super bad gallbladder attacks. Not to mention Tokyo Fast Food Grifters was shown and that was the worst. Turns out all of my friends wanted to leave during it but we all thought everyone else might be enjoying it. >__<

Recently, a local Church had a save the bell tower theme weekend and somehow got rights to show Back To the Future at a small local cinema. They had to stop the movie 20 minutes in because the aspect ratio was messed up and everyone looked super short and wide. Thankfully, no one important was there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
When are you going to bring back the wtf that was Ikurara and the premiere of the Utena movie?

[...or, for that matter, the original NY theatrical premiere *of* Perfect Blue?]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5