• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 Musical Moments of Cowboy Bebop

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Those polls are too hard to choose from. The Cowboy Bebop albums are one of my go to playlists if I just want to play music while doing something else and I love far too many of them.
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Definitely had to put in a vote for my favorite track off of the Bebop OSTs (which sadly didn't have enough of a role in the actual anime), 'No Reply'.
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Great list, although I disagree with the voice of Steve Conte. To me he sounds more like Sting rather than some random Christian rock singer.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
The other day I found myself reciting, "Africa, Mexico, Cicily, Tijuana, India, Osaka, Indonesia..." from "Mushroom Hunting".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Great list, although I disagree with the voice of Steve Conte. To me he sounds more like Sting rather than some random Christian rock singer.

I submit this as better evidence of what I hear in his voice than Call Me Call Me. That could easily be mistaken for a christian rock song. Which I find hilarious, but ya know, it's distracting. Laughing

Side note: I know about the video glitch on the #9 spot. Sorry about that! I've fixed it, but it'll be a little while before the fixed version updates on site. Embarassed

Last edited by JacobC on Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Production values-wise Cowboy Bebop is a powerhouse, but I am not a big fan of this week's set list. No doubt, the music in Bebop is great (I even bought one of the CD soundtracks), but it did not connect with me in a very deep level. I will vote on this week's polls and look forward to the next edition of the Set List.
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
omnistry wrote:

I submit this as better evidence of what I hear in his voice than Call Me Call Me. That could easily be mistaken for a christian rock song. Which I find hilarious, but ya know, it's distracting. Laughing

Yeah, that's definitely very Christian rock-y, so I'll give it to you on that.

Interesting note: from 2004-2010 Conte played guitar for legendary punk band the New York Dolls.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Excellent list, even though it's missing my personal number one: "Rain", also from episode 5.
albanian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
While I fully realise that they do not fall speciifically within the particular remit of the article, I still wish some credit could be given to the OPs for both the TV series and the film. Of all the great music across both iterations of the franchise, these are still the two tracks I find myself returning to again and again - especially the brilliantky animated opening sequence for the film. (But then, isn't the whole point of an OP to lodge itself in your brain and not let go!)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Before reading the article, I just wanna say my number one Cowboy Bebop musical moment is easily "Waltz of the Flowers" from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite at the end of "Toys in the Attic", so I hope that's on there.

"Toys in the Attic" is probably my favourite Cowboy Bebop episode overall, and I like how it now feels in retrospect more like a Space Dandy episode than a Cowboy Bebop episode, almost like it was a prototype episode for a series that wouldn't be made for another 16 years. (Correction, 15 years, I see that "Toys in the Attic" didn't air until January 1999.)

EDIT: Ah, I see "Waltz of the Flowers" didn't make the cut with Hope. That's fine, I like its inclusion in the show and that's all that matters.

Last edited by Tenchi on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
albanian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Yeah, that's definitely very Christian rock-y, so I'll give it to you on that.

Interesting note: from 2004-2010 Conte played guitar for legendary punk band the New York Dolls.

Thanks a lot for that. It will now take me all night to rid my head of the vision of the New York Dolls playing Christian rock!

Whoops. I think my brain just exploded!!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
"Toys in the Attic" is probably my favourite Cowboy Bebop episode overall, and I like how it now feels in retrospect more like a Space Dandy episode than a Cowboy Bebop episode, almost like it was a prototype episode for a series that wouldn't be made for another 16 years. (Correction, 15 years, I see that "Toys in the Attic" didn't air until January 1999.)

Amusingly, a certain infamous refrigerator from said episode eventually made a cameo in Space Dandy. Very Happy

Man...favorite Bebop track? That's like asking me to pick my favorite candy. No way I can whittle it down.
bazinko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Fabulous. I've been meaning to check out this new column since it started and I am so glad this was my introduction. You did a stellar job, Hope. I laughed out loud multiple times and, more importantly, it gave me an emotional rush revisiting all these scenes. Even though I just recently rewatched Bebop for the zillionth time, I am now itching to put it on again.

I look forward to more similarly-styled videos as well as to see what else you come up with. ANN has been in need of a good music-related column for some time now.

Thank you!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Did I miss a qualifier? Why is See You, Space Cowboy not on the poll list? I guess Tank and Real Folk Blues were excluded for being OP and ED tunes, but while Cowboy can be considered a reworking of RFB, it's very different in its lyrics, instrumentation and mood. It's probably my favorite song of the series.
FierceAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
It's really hard to choose music from the movie, but I've always loved "what planet is this". Definitely would be near the top of my list if I made one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA4P1A3jtu0
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3