• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 30 Japanese & International Otaku Events Form Association

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:12 am Reply with quote
Oh, this'll be neat. I wonder what kinds of things the'll actually collaborate on when it is in practice.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
I wonder what it be like if this group started to emphasize something like legit scanlations (like Manga Reborn),
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
I think I remember hearing about this a few days ago via Japan Today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nooble5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:59 am Reply with quote
Hopefully this association is able to be effective. It's a lot of conventions and a first of its kind (from what I'm aware of).

Let's see what they'll do in the future for Anime Conventions.
grimmydark

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:02 am Reply with quote
aww no Australian cities listed... Sad
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I wonder what it be like if this group started to emphasize something like legit scanlations (like Manga Reborn),

There really isn't such a thing as "legit" scanlations. Either their 100% official translations, or they're illegal. There's no middle ground. And, from everything I've seen, companies frown on scanlations even more than fansubs.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
There are for more events in Japan, those need to join ASAP. Also, there are way more in the US that need to join.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
grimmydark wrote:
aww no Australian cities listed... Sad

I almost wonder if it's because Australians find it easier to visit Japan than have some event with Japanese connections organised in Australia?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Mexican Expo TNT is a hot mess of a convention, it's wildly overpriced and they've been stuck in doing dub specials for old shows because anime dubbing is as good as dead for anything that's not Saint Seiya. Just this past year their four editions were a Digimon dub special edition, a Dragon Ball dub, a Saint Seiya dub and a Card Captor Sakura dub special edition. The international guests are rarely remarkable too, and most of the booths are selling bootleg merchandise only. This'll only be an excuse to raise the ticket price even more (the price has literally doubled in the past 6 years) with no tangible improvement to speak of.

As for J'fest, I haven't attended it, but from stories I've heard it seems their staff are a bunch of pricks, and rather than an otaku convention it seems more focused in J-music (not even Anisong) and K-pop, so I'm not quite sure what's going to happen with this alliance
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
There really isn't such a thing as "legit" scanlations. Either their 100% official translations, or they're illegal. There's no middle ground. And, from everything I've seen, companies frown on scanlations even more than fansubs.

Generally speaking, yes. However, look at the "About Manga Reborn" section on Manga Reborn. It mentions scanlations but these are legal scanlations.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Dessa wrote:

Generally speaking, yes. However, look at the "About Manga Reborn" section on Manga Reborn. It mentions scanlations but these are legal scanlations.

Former employee of MR here -- and the difference I'd say is that MR is not a company that scanlates itself, really, as these are primarily scanlations, done by fans, of whatever series that fan feels like cleaning/editing/translating...just with the author's permission.

So in that sense, it's a translation by an amateur--a fan--not a company, which is just what scanlations are, except legitimized by being permitted.

It's like when people ask pixiv artists for permission to translate/scanlate their comics. Is that an "official" translation? Not really, as there may be many different versions of that translation, even in the same language, and if the author hasn't approved that translation on its merits (trusting that the translator knows what they're doing), then I wouldn't call it "official".

It's a legitimate scanlation, that's all. Not official.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
fencer_x, thank you for the clarification.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1