• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman: Are you ready for the Fan Girls?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:50 am Reply with quote
Actually, Viz did tell me at AX that they had at least one Inu Yasha movie. Don't remember, but they might have theatrical plans for it.

Quote:
There used to be a stereotype that they couldn’t land girlfriends, either, but since the advent of the fangirl, that notion has mostly gone the way of the Dodo.

Wouldn't say it's completely gone.

Quote:
They have a reputation for being excessively shallow, watching anything for the ‘cute guys’,

Which is why the stereotype for fanboys still sticks.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:21 am Reply with quote
I want to marry Tamahome.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:50 am Reply with quote
Sakura-chan kawaii.

coudlnt resist
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:52 am Reply with quote
[Fanboy] Aoi....[/Fanboy]
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:04 am Reply with quote
Speaking as a person who has been "glomped" for dressing as Duo Maxwell, and then had some very odd questions asked of me since my bestest friend in the whole wide room was standing next to me dressed as Heero Yuy, I'd say you've pretty much hit the nail on the head with your fangirl definition.

But I do make one good looking Duo Maxwell. Don't even need hair extensions for the braid. :wink:
Mou Kaoru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:

No way girl, he's MINE!! Razz
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:42 am Reply with quote
This actually reminds me of a time where I was verbally assaulted by a pair of Tamahome fangirls for bringing up the actual events of the show. I mean, when it's reached the point that you refuse to acknowledge the established plot as canon...there's seriously something wrong. And don't even get me started on the time I accidentally set off this one fangirl by saying Duo & Hilde (Gundam Wing) made a cute couple (please tell me where in Gundam Wing Hilde actually acted like a "filthy skank whore," I think I missed that episode).

And as far as the fanfiction pairings go, I'm not homophobic or anything, but the prevalent yaoi thing is getting to be a bit much. I can understand the plausibility of some of the couplings, but when they pair the likes of, say, Sanosuke & Aoshi (Rurouni Kenshin) because "OMG they TOTALLY were in the same arena together during the mummy guy fight!" it gets a bit much. Also...Lord of the Rings yaoi...Harry Potter yaoi...someone please explain what bowels of hell those dredged up from!

But I tell ya, what's worse than yaoi fanfiction are the self-insertion fanfictions. Egotistical garbage where the author inserts herself into the story & proceeds to warp the characters' personalities so that they all bow down and kiss said inserted author's feet. Typically the author also seems to enjoy inserting herself as an angel-winged furry. Or a vampire (even in anime where vampires are wildly inappropriate...like Fruits Basket!). Explain that one.

But then, the fanboys aren't much better. Lately I've been having a bad time with some ardent Rei Ayanami fanboys. Okay, y'know that thing I said about fangirls ignoring the canon story? Yeah, some of these Ayanami fanboys are claiming she's great at certain sexual acts that I'm 135.8% sure never happened once in Evangelion! They also view certain hentai fanart as more canon than Sadamoto's design or even actual show screencaps. And don't you dare bring up another female -- real or animated -- around them, lest you enjoy the notion of living, especially another Evangelion girl (Asuka, Misato, even Maya & Hikari!).

Anyway, that's my rant based on true-to-life past experiences. Hope you liked it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:08 am Reply with quote
the one good thing about rabid fanboys/girls is when ever you think you hit a low in your fandom theres always one lower.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
drakh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:48 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Also...Lord of the Rings yaoi...Harry Potter yaoi...someone please explain what bowels of hell those dredged up from!

Actually, that would be so-called slash fiction, the scifi/fantasy fandoms' equivalent of yaoi. There were perverted fangirls there long before yaoi ever was introduced to the west.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:15 am Reply with quote
Mou Kaoru wrote:
Quote:

WHAT?! I thought I was the only one who liked him! Everyone's always "Oooooh, Chichiri" or "Oooooh Tasuki!" IT'S NEVER TAMAHOME! He's MINE! *gets out her official fangirl kendo stick*

Nagisa wrote:
Also...Lord of the Rings yaoi...Harry Potter yaoi...someone please explain what bowels of hell those dredged up from!

That I think you can partially blame doujinshi. Anime hyper There are doujin out there for everything, with every possible couple. The crossovers are rare, but the in series couples are there. GO MOONY AND PADFOOT!!

Oh yeah, and just because the genre is shoujo romance, that doesn't mean the plot is completly canon. *goes looking for those Genbu scanlations* Anime hyper I'm not even a giant FY fan. Only seen... the first 20 something eps, and a couple of the ovas. Shocked It's soooooooo addicting.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:44 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Mou Kaoru wrote:
Quote:

WHAT?! I thought I was the only one who liked him! Everyone's always "Oooooh, Chichiri" or "Oooooh Tasuki!" IT'S NEVER TAMAHOME! He's MINE! *gets out her official fangirl kendo stick*

Heh. You two can duke it out. I was really just kidding. Wink
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:57 am Reply with quote
With a couple slight edits, you could put Zac's description of Fanboy's/Fangirl's into the Lexicon.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:07 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:26 am Reply with quote
That has to be one of the most funny and accurate things I've read in a while.

Our anime club vice-president is the defination of a fangirl. She cosplays as what I called "Bad fanfic"

Half Naruto/ Half Gravitation

The horror!
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:28 am Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:

*right clicks/saves picture as*

Laughing

EDIT: Kirk as an ocelot. Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2