• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Scarlett Johansson: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Begins Filming in Early 2016

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
still will get finished before james cameron's gunnm
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Eugh. Just watched Lucy recently, still don't like Blonde Drew Barrymore. That and Avengers really did nothing to make me think she's decent at what she does.
SerialXperiment

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Eeeuh.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
It remains to be seen how good Scarlett Johansson will be. No sense beating her up, before you see what she does.

Hopefully she is correct about the filming date. Though it is still far away.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I actually want this to be good or just interestingly terrible, which it's more likely to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
That's why I'm basing my lack of enthusiasm on her past work. You can do that, you can pre-judge actors by what they've already done. Her might have been her best performance of the last few years.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
She'll get my respect if she just watches the original GitS movie. Not just to watch Motoko in action and get a feel for the character, but also to understand exactly what she's helping to adapt.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I see this being another Dragonball Evolution type flop.
KamikazeJawa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
I see this being another Dragonball Evolution type flop.

While I personally don't think it will be as bad as that, based on the staff that are currently signed on for it Dreamworks is sure as hell trying to make it freaking close.

I'm still kind of miffed at how Spielberg keeps saying how much of a huge Ghost in the Shell fan he is and how he's wanted a live-action movie of it to be made for years and yet he's assigning his Z-team to make it. If you love it so much, direct it yourself!!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I love her! but she's a horrible actress. She's good at mindless stuff but GITS is the complete opposite of mindless...
TRNielson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
I feel like alot is gonna depend on what kind of rating they aim for. Granted, GitS was never the most mature anime ever, but if they try to tie their hands by aiming for a PG-13 rating, there's no way it's gonna turn out well.

I'm not gonna pass judgment at the moment, as I know I've been wrong in the past about casting actors for certain characters. But once trailers start coming out...

*Karl Urban voice* Judgment Time.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
So a live-action GitS movie is actually happening?

But hang on - Scarlett Johansson will play Motoko?

MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
hmm well lets just see how this turns out leave all hopes for it to be either bad or good and then let everyone bitch their collective heads off AFTER the damn movie hit's theaters, I'm honestly amazed at how some people are still bitching about how a movie will turn out before filming has even begun, I'll admit I use to be like this but now it's just so pointless that I'll just save my complaints till after it's out
SerialXperiment

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
Not really complaining about her in particular (infact I'm fine, all she'd be doing is playing a shell, and her acting alone would create Kusanagi), just not really stoked about Dreamworks trying their hands on something that doesn't need to be redone at all.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
ScarJo is a capable actress, and one who portrays stoic, strong women very, very well. I'm not worried about that. While I still think Motoko should be played by a Japanese-American actress (and please, save the "b-but Muh-toko can be anyone she wants because ROBOTS" argument,) I feel like she'll do a good job with what she's given.

Is what she's given going to be good? Eh... I'm not so hopeful, personally. I feel like with who's on board, they're going to water down the source material into another action flick instead of tapping into the deep, rich social commentary that both the original movie and both "Stand Alone Complex" series were laced with ("Innocence" was more existential than social commentary, I felt.)

Plus, Japanese politics and social trends played a huge part in the original works, and to take GITS out of its element and make the whole cast white, from the looks of it... I'm not confident that this is going to do the original any justice.

After all is said and done, I think "Fist Of The North Star" is still going to be the best anime-to-film adaptation. Fight me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5