• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses Kotoura-san School Comedy TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
If there's one Masahiko Ohta-directed anime I wish would be licensed for physical media in North America, it would be Minami-ke (season 1), but Kotoura-san was pretty good as well and I'll probably buy it, but I may wait for a standard version without the oversized packaging.

EDIT: Actually, looking at the photo more closely, it looks like a normal-sized box set and not the un-DVD-shelvable packaging NISA used for earlier sets like Working!/Wagnaria!.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
This one, yes please take my money.

Mark Gosdin
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh god. Kotoura-san is one of the most disappointing animes I have ever watched. I hope the license was dirt cheap because I don't think there is a big clamor to have this show released. Good luck NIS America!; you are going to need it.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Dropped this after 3 episodes. Initial interesting premise squandered for high school laffs.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I can only keep hoping that someday, maybe, hopefully within a couple of years, I will actually see a license announcement for Kyousougiga.

For now, I shall just continue to silently weep at another premium NISA release for a series I didn't like enough to want a collector's edition.

But I hope this does well for you, NISA, and I'm glad for the fans of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Watched it on netflix, enjoyed it, just not enough to buy it.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I can only keep hoping that someday, maybe, hopefully within a couple of years, I will actually see a license announcement for Kyousougiga

Yes, please. I am happy to have Kotoura too, though. My only regret is that I just finished importing the series on blu-ray about two weeks ago...haha. I remember when shows getting licensed, or at least, less-popular shows getting licensed a couple of years past the airing season were rarer. I was waiting and waiting...haha. Kind of funny.

It is a nice surprise, and hopefully we'll get Kyousougiga soon too.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
If there's one Masahiko Ohta-directed anime I wish would be licensed for physical media in North America, it would be Minami-ke.

It's his best work too. I have no idea why it never got licensed, but at least we've gotten practically everything else by Ohta. Kotoura-san was pretty weak for me though. Ohta is a SoL/comedy director, not a drama director, and even then I didn't find the comedic timing in Kotoura-san as sharp as I'd thought it would be. I'm much more likely to pick up last year's Sabagebu! which Ohta directed.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering how it was on Netflix when it wasn't licensed!

Well, I really enjoyed the anime, but since it doesn't look like it'll get an English dub, I'll pass.
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was OK. Not good enough to actually buy it, but it still offered some entertainment.
Melicans

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I'll gladly buy this set. Kotoura-san was a series I really enjoyed, both the earlier comedic aspects and the darker police arc. The only thing I'm not sure about is the title they've chosen, but that's really such a small thing.

It's worth noting that RightStuf has the whole set up for under $50 right now. NISA really do have the most content for the prices. http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/aNAynRffi5qEm7EDHu/browse/item/105540/4/0/0
Jajanken

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
It was good but unless there is a figure as a bonus that edition isnt going to cut it
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah that show exists.
I don't remember the show at all, but what I do remember is how cringeworthy every single episode was. It was painful to get through.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
It's rare that a show can go from being one of the single most talked about shows of the season to being completely forgotten.

Early 2013 was a dark time for anime. Well, except for Love Live.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I kept bitching for this show to get released in their forums and now they finally released it. Whew. Now I just need the money...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2