• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon 2008 Dates Announced

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rikabu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote
Awesome! I missed out this year, sadly, but hopefully I can return to Otakon again in 08!
miji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I'll be there! Was there this year and had a great time! Hopefully it will be organized and laid out a bit better than this year, but regardless of all the little things, I had a great time.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
All right! I really do hope that I have enough money to go to Otakon! Considering being about 2 weeks after AX this year, couldn't really make it. I really do hope I can make it there!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote
It looks like Otakon attendance dropped a bit this year because of how close the date was to AX. Good thing that won't be an issue next time.

It was a bit disorienting the way some of the rooms were switched around this year, so hopefully they'll keep things the same next year now that we're all used to the new locations.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
It looks like Otakon attendance dropped a bit this year because of how close the date was to AX. Good thing that won't be an issue next time.

It was a bit disorienting the way some of the rooms were switched around this year, so hopefully they'll keep things the same next year now that we're all used to the new locations.

There was AX, then Otakon, then San Diego Comic Con this weekend. That's a lot of cons in a short period of time. But I still think they came as close as last year for attendees.

Hopefully we will have the same kind of weather next year, it was so nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zeroteque

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for next year. This was my eighth straight year, but I don't remember them releasing the dates for next year so early.

Reservations!
hikura

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

There was AX, then Otakon, then San Diego Comic Con this weekend. That's a lot of cons in a short period of time. But I still think they came as close as last year for attendees.

Hopefully we will have the same kind of weather next year, it was so nice.

Do not forget that animenext was also in the mix in between AX and Otakon.
Hellbuny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Though I did not announce the date at closing ceremonies, I carried on our tradition announcing our dates at the con feed back panel.

I mean, I gotta have a hook to make sure people come and give feedback yah?

-Sean "Hellbuny" Chiochankitmun
President Otakorp Inc,
Con-Chair, Otakon 2007
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Now this is what I found to be interesting:

Quote:
Otakon 2008 will once again (for the tenth year) be held at the Baltimore Convention Center in Maryland.

Gee Exclamation TEN WHOLE FREAKING YEARS IN THE SAME SPOT Question Exclamation Now ain't that interesting! Shocked

Perhaps a certain other Con (not naming any names mind you Wink Rolling Eyes ) should take some lessons.

Edited for sentence placement.

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

Gee :!: TEN WHOLE FREAKING YEARS IN THE SAME SPOT :?: :!: Now ain't that interesting! 8O

...even though, every year, Otakon tries new things, some of which work and some of which don't, a decade in the same space does make it a lot easier to figure out what *really* works out well...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Now this is what I found to be interesting:

Quote:
Otakon 2008 will once again (for the tenth year) be held at the Baltimore Convention Center in Maryland.

Gee Exclamation TEN WHOLE FREAKING YEARS IN THE SAME SPOT Question Exclamation Now ain't that interesting! Shocked

Perhaps a certain other Con (not naming any names mind you Wink Rolling Eyes ) should take some lessons.

Edited for sentence placement.

Lydia, being in the same spot there isn't always a good thing. Laughing Trust me, if there was another good venue near by I'd much rather have it there. I hate Baltimore with a passion. I can't stand the constant road work that never gets finished, the pot hole roads, the confusing street locations, and not to mention the BCC is not in a good part of town. Just because it's the inner harbor and a tourist trap does not make it a good area. Granted, it's no Cherry Hill but still. It's at the point I feel safer going to DC then to Baltimore.

I knew attendance seemed down and with AX, Comic Con, and other stuff in the same recent time it's no wonder. So in that aspect moving it back to August does make sense (they seem to flip flop every year between July and August). The problem is that puts it closer to football season. Preseason might be going on then I'm not sure. If it is then you get the joy of the Raven's crowd and increased traffic and hecklers. Last year that was a big problem, the hecklers. Some were actually Otaku heckling the Raven's fans which seemed odd to me as it's normally the other way around. At least this year the staff was more on top of things then in recent years. Still some key issues to be improved on but hopefully if this year was any indication more improvements will be made next year.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I can't stand the constant road work that never gets finished, the pot hole roads, the confusing street locations, and not to mention the BCC is not in a good part of town. Just because it's the inner harbor and a tourist trap does not make it a good area. Granted, it's no Cherry Hill but still. It's at the point I feel safer going to DC then to Baltimore.

My dear friend, you've just described the status of 90% of all Southern California freeways.

No matter where we are, there are certain places we just feel safer going.

Still, I'm impressed that Otakon has been in the same place for 10 years. Obviously it works and the BCC works with Otakon.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Well somehow, and Lord I'd love to know how, Baltimore has become a big tourist spot. I read some news article a while ago but Baltimore is one of the biggest tourist spots in the US. Yet B-more also has, or at least had, the highest murder rate and unsolved homicide rate in the US. Great place for tourist huh? Rolling Eyes However, B-more does bring in the money and the BCC capitalizes on that. They know they can get prime dollars from Otakon for rent and for sale of other stuff. For example you can't sell food or drink there. Only the official BCC stands can do that. So stores like Wizzywig lose out horribly while the BCC makes a killing on 20k+ otaku buying over priced $3 dollar waters and the such. I'm honestly surprised how often AX switches venues instead of working closely with just one and making a good working relationship.
Eos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:31 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I can't stand the constant road work that never gets finished, the pot hole roads, the confusing street locations, and not to mention the BCC is not in a good part of town.
Last year that was a big problem, the hecklers.

You just summed up Hudson County NJ! But anyway, I love Otakon, and plan on going again next year. It's my yearly big con trip (aside from a day or so at NEXT). Concerning hecklers, the biggest problem I witnessed came from the visiting Yankee fans last year, not so much preseason football folks. I was at the mall talking with some local women, and they commented "you costumed people come every year, we're used to you. It's these Yankee fans we can't stand. They're so rude!" Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kuni_kuni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:27 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Lydia, being in the same spot there isn't always a good thing. Laughing Trust me, if there was another good venue near by I'd much rather have it there. I hate Baltimore with a passion. I can't stand the constant road work that never gets finished, the pot hole roads, the confusing street locations, and not to mention the BCC is not in a good part of town.

Oh please, the BCC is in one of the safest part of Baltimore city. I always laugh when con-goers talk about how dangerous Baltimore is after only visiting the Inner Harbor. Rolling Eyes You are nowhere near the dangerous area.

As for the roadwork...well...I'll have to agree with that. But that's not exclusive to Baltimore---that's pretty much the case with all of MD.

Fact remains, Otakon will be hard pressed to find another convenient location in the immediate area (what other convention center has so many hotels, restaurants, and tourists spots in close vicinity). The city itself, too, has already accepted the con, and with all the money it makes, they'll do anything to make sure it doesn't leave.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2