• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tales of 20th Anniversary Animation Produced by ufotable for 2016 Airing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:13 am Reply with quote
Oh man, we couldn't get a Ufotable-produced Tales of Vesperia anime?

Or Graces?

Or Xillia?

Still, better than nothing I guess.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
Hey people quick question. Are the tales of series worth watching?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
Ooh, so this is getting an adaptation after all in 2016. Nice, especially for fans of the games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote
That's not seriously going to be the title of the show is it?
Blue21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

No, from what I hear. Most people will tell you to stick to playing the games.
TheWolfhart

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

I would say they are as long as you have played and finished the respective game.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:24 am Reply with quote
so I guess game adaptations are ufotables thing now, huh... I guess that's cool. Sort of worried about game adaptations in general, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

On a different note, these games aren't connected story-wise right? At least not beyond being in the same world.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
After the visual style of God Eater, this show appears to be ufotable's return to form. Although I think it might've been interesting if they went for the God Eater art style.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
After the visual style of God Eater, this show appears to be ufotable's return to form. Although I think it might've been interesting if they went of the God Eater art style.

Also, the fact that this airs in 2016 gives me hopes that God Eater may be a 2 cour.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
Cool news. They've done the in-game anime cutscenes for Xillia and Zestiria too.

relyat08 wrote:
On a different note, these games aren't connected story-wise right? At least not beyond being in the same world.

Actually each game takes place in different worlds too, along with a new story, new cast, and new crazy fantasy jargon Razz (the exception being a couple of direct sequels like with Symphonia and Xillia) there're certain themes and character archetypes that tend to pop up across games, like stuff with spirits and spirit energy, and that one party member who betrays you at some point Rolling Eyes, (at least in the Tales games I've played). So you can pick up and play pretty much any of them!
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
PetitePuff wrote:
Cool news. They've done the in-game anime cutscenes for Xillia and Zestiria too.

relyat08 wrote:

Actually each game takes place in different worlds too, along with a new story, new cast, and new crazy fantasy jargon Razz (the exception being a couple of direct sequels like with Symphonia and Xillia) there're certain themes and character archetypes that tend to pop up across games, like stuff with spirits and spirit energy, and that one party member who betrays you at some point Rolling Eyes, (at least in the Tales games I've played). So you can pick up and play pretty much any of them!

It's worth noting Symphonia and Phantasia take place in the same world, as well. But outside of those two, the rest of the series is not connected, as far as I am aware.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

There have been 6 prior Tales animations (going in game-release order):

I haven't seen Tales of Phantasia, but I've heard that it's a 4-episode partial adaptation, that isn't bad, but requires knowledge of the game (it's more animating cool scenes than carrying the story itself).

Tales of Eternia was 12 or 13 episodes, and is a completely self-contained story that presents itself as a random side-quest that the characters may have gone on during the course of the journey. I loved it, but, unfortunately, it's not available legally in the US.

Tales of Symphonia has 3 4-episode OAV. I watched the first one. It was decent enough, except it a) massively rushed through the story, b) changed the order of events, and c) actually contradicted the game. There's a reason I didn't watch the other 2. Also not legally available in the US.

Tales of the Abyss was a 26-episode TV series, and I love it, but I know it can be polarizing to some people. It cut out most of the side quests (there are a few that remain), and did rearrange/change a few scenes (to the series' benefit, IMO), but it got the full story told. Some people felt it rushed, but I didn't get that feeling at all. Bandai released it just before their death, 4 DVDs for all the episodes. The special editions of the first two came with the Asch the Bloody side-manga, which retells the story from Asch's point of view.

Tales of Vesperia's movie is a prequel to the game, telling a story about Flynn and Yuri when they were both knights. Like Tales of Eternia, it's not directly adapting anything that's in the game, just gives you something extra. It was released by FUNimation in the US.

Tales of Zestria previously had a special, which I haven't watched, but I've heard is good. It came out before the game, however, so I don't know how it is in relation to the game, since I haven't heard commentary since then. The new anime does add an extra character, but we don't know if it'll be adapting the game, or is a side story or takes place before/after the game or what.
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
It's worth noting Symphonia and Phantasia take place in the same world, as well. But outside of those two, the rest of the series is not connected, as far as I am aware.

Yeah I'd read that a long time ago Smile (they both have the giant tree, Yggdrasil?) but also that there's quite a large time gap between when the two games take place (Phantasia supposedly a few millennia after Symphonia?) So I didn't really consider it all that consequential, unless there's some major references made between the two in-game I'm not aware of (Of the two, I've only played Symphonia)
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
"Experience the controversial move in an all new format. Tales of Zestria: The Animation"
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
This animation MY F GOD!!!

Why are Ufotable one level above every other anime studio in Japan and every show they make looks to be on par with a movie production?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2