• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atelier Sophie Game's Visuals, Screenshots Unveiled

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:09 am Reply with quote
I'm so excited! It already looks and sounds so cute~. There's also a teaser on youtube. ^u^

I hope they've tossed out the E&L/Shallie system for items/sorting completely though. Bleh, I prefer something like Ayesha, just organized a little better.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:30 am Reply with quote
Get Hype!

I wonder how long they'll take to localize it? A franchise that knows it's strengths and experiments within those bounds I gladly like to see every time it pops up.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:36 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:

A franchise that knows it's strengths and experiments within those bounds I gladly like to see every time it pops up.

And people complain about Call of Duty Laughing
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
Is the franchise delivering what fans want?
Are fans disappointed by the deliveries?
Then we have no problem.

This isn't like a sports game where the roster changes and the gameplay stays the same. They tend to try new ways to make the alchemy gameplay a bit different, yet still familiar. Even the RPG/Combat sections are familiar, but tweaked. New stories, new characters. Some of the series of games are connected with reoccurring characters (Dusk and Arland series) and overall setting. But this seems so far to be a standalone title.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
Better character design than the last one.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Is the franchise delivering what fans want?
Are fans disappointed by the deliveries?
Then we have no problem.

This isn't like a sports game where the roster changes and the gameplay stays the same. They tend to try new ways to make the alchemy gameplay a bit different, yet still familiar. Even the RPG/Combat sections are familiar, but tweaked. New stories, new characters. Some of the series of games are connected with reoccurring characters (Dusk and Arland series) and overall setting. But this seems so far to be a standalone title.

enurtsol has a point. Everything you mentioned in your post applies to Call of Duty as well. I'm not saying it's bad to give fans what they want, but there are also some fans who want something new. Personally, I'm much more excited about Yoru no Nai Kuni just because it's something different.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, Gust produces a line of games people enjoy that are rather samey, and a other lines of games and new IPs. Gust gives you new and old. I don't really see the point of hating on

To cut off the CoD comparison I think most time in CoD is spent playing multiplayer. The Atelier series is entirely singleplayer. Its not a Speedrun game, its not a rigorous test of one's emotions. it is quite literally the "Work Hard" simulator jammed in what can only be a massive helping of Slice-of-Life feelings.

I do think they can sometimes leave these games in the oven for a couple more months. A few extra dialogue lines here or there would be amazingly helpful.

Consider Atelier to be a series that'll never win awards, but never really let people down (Like how the Final Fantasies catch flak for their experimentation all the time)

Do the "Tales of..." Games get as much crap for being rather samey? Also people complain about CoD because it is popular as well, something niche JRPGers don't have to worry about.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
No time management please, I want to take my sweet time with the game.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, this title doesn`t look all too good.

The Atelier series, only ever really tweak things and make small adjustments, like previously stated from other comments.

But, I won`t know unless I see enough content.

Perhaps, if the companies involved would pay large attention and detail into one title at a time, a better game would be produced.

"Tales Of Series" was also brought up in the comment sections.
Tales, almost reminds of "Assasin`s Creed" large robust games, with few notable changes, but overall very alike in each project.

Well, I do hope that "Atelier Sophie" has much more to offer this time around, then nice art and design glossing most of it`s flaws. But, who knows.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:

This isn't like a sports game where the roster changes and the gameplay stays the same.

Even there, they refine the gameplay each iteration to get it ever closer to realism and human intellect, so players also have to tweak how they play.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1