• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: U.S. Department of Defense's DARPA Research Eerily Similar to Terraformars

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if 500 years is a reasonable prediction for how long it would take for cockroaches to evolve into ghetto cavemen? I guess DARPA will be looking into it.
Vent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
my immediate thought after reading the title was "...incredibly racist?"
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm more concerned about the idea of "repairing" damaged environments here on Earth. Just exactly who is going to decide what needs repairing?

Let alone taking an inhospitable Earthly environment and re-engineering it. ( Recall the quote from the late DeForest Kelly's Dr. McCoy "I know engineers, they looove to change things!" )

No I don't think they should test any of those processes anywhere near Earth, Mars might be a wee bit too close even.

Mark Gosdin
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm always psyched about these type of things.

Quote:
DARPA would need to engineer plants to grow on Mars to make the planet's atmosphere hospitable for human life.

The question is how would we go about creating an atmosphere which wouldn't be whisked away by cosmic radiation, nor flow out into space due to there being so little atmosphere. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already estimated how long this would take to make and it would take like some hundreds of millions of years

Credits to DARPA and other governmental agencies which are holding competitions and giving out grants to try to incentivize such far reaching questions within the civilian population.

Last edited by Hyperdrve on Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
As early as 2010, DARPA announced "BioDesign" program to engineer "immortal" lifeforms that could be killed with the flip of a switch.

Yeah, that sounds like a fool-proof plan. What could possibly go wrong?

Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
I'm more concerned about the idea of "repairing" damaged environments here on Earth. Just exactly who is going to decide what needs repairing?

Let alone taking an inhospitable Earthly environment and re-engineering it. ( Recall the quote from the late DeForest Kelly's Dr. McCoy "I know engineers, they looove to change things!" )

No I don't think they should test any of those processes anywhere near Earth, Mars might be a wee bit too close even.

Mark Gosdin

The US will repair the parts of the end it doesn't currently own after they get there hunter killers autonomous and cheap.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
#839165 wrote:
The question is how would we go about creating an atmosphere which wouldn't be whisked away by cosmic radiation, nor flow out into space due to there being so little atmosphere. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already estimated how long this would take to make and it would take like some hundreds of millions of years

Probably not that long. They aren't hoping to have this happen like just naturally on it's own with no human interaction at all. They're engineering it and probably causing things to happen at pace that's ridiculously beyond what it would ever just be on it's own in the wild.

Just thinking of the world in 0 AD vs 2015 AD makes me think it's super unlikely it will take humans a million years to do anything. Let alone hundreds of millions.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
#839165 wrote:
The question is how would we go about creating an atmosphere which wouldn't be whisked away by cosmic radiation, nor flow out into space due to there being so little atmosphere.
This is easily the number one most ignored problem of Mars colonization: the planet is dead. The technical means of founding an atmosphere don't mean jack crap without a vital magnetosphere; if you don't believe me, just look at stillborn Venus: essentially earth's twin, but without a magnetic field, evaporated water leaves the world a little at a time and the early atmosphere is never absorbed, leaving little more than a burning hellhole under a billion-ton blanket.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Darn it, I was going to mention that. A major reason life could happen on Earth is because Earth is the only terrestrial body in the Solar System with a magnetic field strong enough to deflect these harmful things away from the surface.

It is feasible to colonize on one of Jupiter's Galilean moons though, in terms of magnetic fields, using Jupiter's magnetic field as a shield. (Titan leaves Saturn's magnetic field when it's closest to the Sun.)

mgosdin wrote:

Mark Gosdin

You don't think areas hit by natural disasters should be repaired?

(Conservationalism is all about ecological repair work--while it's true that natural processes can drive species into extinction and change climates, I think that humans have done a lot of damage to the planet and that humans must also take responsibility to undo that damage.)
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Probably not that long. They aren't hoping to have this happen like just naturally on it's own with no human interaction at all.

Yeah. I was referring to how long it would take if humans introduce the right "ingredients", then let things occur naturally, and make up a way so that the atmosphere doesn't leave the planet. I don't know how long it would take to make an inhabitable atmosphere under those conditions.

Polycell wrote:
This is easily the number one most ignored problem of Mars colonization: the planet is dead. The technical means of founding an atmosphere don't mean jack crap without a vital magnetosphere; if you don't believe me, just look at stillborn Venus: essentially earth's twin, but without a magnetic field, evaporated water leaves the world a little at a time and the early atmosphere is never absorbed, leaving little more than a burning hellhole under a billion-ton blanket.

I'd suggest encapsulating the planet with glass and make it into a planetary "snow globe". But this is more science fiction on my part.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
45 years since we've landed on the Moon and we still haven't gotten to Mars. You'd think that in that time period we'd have finally gotten the technology and money we need to land on Mars.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
45 years since we've landed on the Moon and we still haven't gotten to Mars. You'd think that in that time period we'd have finally gotten the technology and money we need to land on Mars.

It's far, far cheaper to send unmanned probes, and they're not that much less effective than having a human on the ground.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
ANN wrote:
As early as 2010, DARPA announced "BioDesign" program to engineer "immortal" lifeforms that could be killed with the flip of a switch.

ikr? its about as genius as making dinosaurs as smart as humans and giving it a shit ton of new features never before seen in a single organism. Wont the general populace be thrilled?
Sunset In the Hood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
Hameyadea wrote:

ikr? its about as genius as making dinosaurs as smart as humans and giving it a shit ton of new features never before seen in a single organism. Wont the general populace be thrilled?

They probably aren't talking about making immortal clones of Shaq and more along the lines of micro organisms like bacteria or something.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:32 am Reply with quote
#839165 wrote:
I'd suggest encapsulating the planet with glass and make it into a planetary "snow globe". But this is more science fiction on my part.

You need a material at least a thousand times stronger than steel to encapsulate a planet as large as Mars without the shell collapsing, let alone finding enough of this material to do so.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

It's far, far cheaper to send unmanned probes, and they're not that much less effective than having a human on the ground.

The other thing is that the Space Race that defined the third quarter of the 20th century was the Americans and the Soviets trying to outdo each other. Without a rival, there isn't much drive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2