• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Kabuki Play's Lead Actor Plays Luffy, Hancock, & Shanks

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:50 am Reply with quote
I would sell my organs to get tickets to this if that would help. I so want to watch this. God I hope it becomes available online.

Omodakaya!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
Well, considering that kabuki did have crossdressing in it, I suppose it is appropriate Luffy's actor is also playing Hancock.

I wonder how old they are making Luffy in this.
rabrek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
I find this strangely alluring. It sounds like a very fun evening!
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! There are chances they are going to perform this show in other Countries too, so don't sell your organs yet, people. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Anime News Network wrote:
Quote:
The play's scriptwriter Yokouchi Kensuke commented that he would "like to approach the script from the eyes of someone who is not familiar with the story, while also not discounting the audience who have already read it. It would best if I could make a story that was fun even for people who haven't read it." He added that "kabuki has never shied away from not showing the beginning and ending of a story and only portraying one side of it. So I think a long story like One Piece is a perfect fit for adaptation to the stage."

According to the Japanese articles and video about it, actually, the comment in question (i.e., things such as 'Making a Kabuki version which is fun even for people who haven't read the manga.' and 'One Piece is a perfect fit for adaptation to the Kabuki stage.') was done by Ichikawa Ennosuke.

Comic Natalie:
Quote:
本日7月28日に都内で行われた製作発表会見に出席した猿之助は、原作について「あえて読まないようにしている」と語り、「(脚本と演出を担当する)横内先生が原作に精通しているので、観客を置いてけぼりにしないよう、まったく作品を知らない人の目線があったほうがいいと思った。原作を読んだことのない人にも楽しんでいただけるような作品にしたいです」とコメント。また「ONE PIECE」を歌舞伎化することについて「歌舞伎というのは昔から、物語の最初から最後までを演じずに、一場面だけを上演するという形態を取ってきたんです。そういう意味では『ONE PIECE』という長い物語を上演するのに、一番ふさわしい演劇形態ではないかと思っています」と自信を見せた。

http://natalie.mu/comic/news/155242

Asahi Shimbun Digital:
http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASH7X4TKYH7XUCVL00S.html

Nikkan Sports:
http://www.nikkansports.com/entertainment/news/1514192.html

Mantan Web:
http://mantan-web.jp/2015/07/28/20150728dog00m200013000c.html

Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm planning to be in Japan in Oct. Definitely wouldn't mind going to check this out. Tickets will probably be long sold out though =/
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I'm planning to be in Japan in Oct. Definitely wouldn't mind going to check this out. Tickets will probably be long sold out though =/

Try anyway, you never know. Wink
When I was in Japan last year I was able to see the USJ One Piece show--getting the tickets wasn't so difficult after all (I obtained them through a travel agency). ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Update: Ichikawa IV's comments correctly attributed. Thanks, hyojodoji

It's a pleasure.

Quote:
The play is one play in the Super Kabuki-gi II set of plays featuring Ichikawa IV as the lead.

Actually, in cases where the (semi-)hereditary name of a performer of a traditional Japanese performing art is mentioned, when you choose one from the 'family name' and the 'given name' and add the ordinal number which indicates that he is the Xth person who uses the name to it, what should be chosen is the 'given name'.
In the case of the stage name 'Ichikawa Ennosuke', the 'given name' part is 'Ennosuke'.

Mishima Yukio wrote:
Quote:
 この四月に芝翫が歌右衞門を襲名する由である。天明年間に位「無量」と稱された初代にはじまり、明治大正昭和の三代に女形でありながら梨園の統領となつた五代目につぐ、六代目歌右衞門が生れ出るわけである。歌右衞門は元來女形の名跡ではない。初代は實惡に秀で、代々「兼ル」(萬能の藝風をいふ)名優を輩出した。先代ですら、こころみに大正八年發兌の安部豐氏編「舞臺のおもかげ」をひもとくと、松王、法界坊、熊谷、大星など、今われわれの頭にある「歌右衞門」の槪念をはみ出るやうな舞臺寫眞が澤山殘つてゐるのでおどろかされる。むしろ眞女形の歌右衞門は、代々の藝風から行くと異例なのである。

歌舞伎に本當の近代性を感じさせることは、實は芝翫の舞臺のもつべきこれからの宿命なのである。近代性を歌舞伎に導入した六代目菊五郞の功績の、アンチテーゼの役割が芝翫なのである。
 六代目菊五郞の近代性といふべきは、實はあまり根ざしの深くない現實主義、合理主義、自然主義などの、槪論風な近代性であつた。敎科書をよめばわかる程度の近代性である。そして菊五郞の偉大さは、實は歌舞伎の傳統的な技術を體系化した偉大さであつた。菊五郞の新らしさはあくまで方法の新らしさで、本質的な新らしさではなかつた。

I'm sorry to say so, but a journalist's writing something like 'Ichikawa IV' in an article related to Japanese culture makes him/her seem to be amateurish, at least to the eyes of well-educated people who are familiar with Japanese culture and Japanologists.
If the ANN staffer who wrote the article continues to work as a journalist who principally deals with things related to Japanese culture, it may be better for him/her to study Japanese equivalents to stuff explained, say, in the 'Names and Terms' chapter of The Chicago Manual of Style and in the 'Names and appellations' section of Fowler's Modern English Usage.

Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Try anyway, you never know. Wink
When I was in Japan last year I was able to see the USJ One Piece show--getting the tickets wasn't so difficult after all (I obtained them through a travel agency). ^^

Oh, I intend to =) Apparently they can be bought online, so it's just a matter of them not selling out too fast and getting the tickets, which I'll have to look into more.
I was worried it was going to be like getting tickets to a concert and having to go to a Lawson or something which didn't work out too well during my last trip.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1