• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime for Grown-Up Romantics

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
A couple things about the new poll

Zeref's Name spoiler[ His last name being Dragneel is a huge spoiler, that only recently happened in the managa and anime only watchers would have no clue about this development. We also don't know if Dragnell is the name Igneel Gave Natsu or it was his and Zeref's family name]
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
I guess it's an embarrassment of riches as far as anime romances go, but I made my list over on Tumblr, and it has zero overlap with this list (although my picking White Album 2 and Lynzee picking the original White Album is at least close, and I really ought to check out Emma). Slightly apples and oranges - my list is limited to seinen dramas, this is any genre as long as it's post-high-school. But still, Rumbling Hearts and the Yuu/Yuuko arc of ef - a tale of melodies is great stuff that more people need to see.

And Golden Time could have been a great romance if it hadn't doubled down on its insane "amnesia ghost" gimmick. But god, that went to a whole new and previously undiscovered level of stupid.
ryboom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
Nana, Paradise Kiss and Rumbling Hearts belong on this list, even if there is some High School involved.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
Really stinks there's not many of romances about adults or even college students but, Tatami Galaxy & Ah My Goddess were both well-done although I enjoyed the former for its visual appeal. After watching a hilarious AMV, I really want to try out Golden Time.

Few more recs:
Nodame Cantabile - Yes, it's mostly a music anime but the wacky love story between stuck up Chiaki and "has a few screws loose" Nodame its comical most of the time as they grow their music careers.

Tokyo Marble Chocolate - It's a short that features two college age lovers in the winter after a fallout then reuniting thanks to a mini donkey!

Honey & Clover - Mostly enjoy it for being the first anime I saw take place in college (an art school no less!) and for the bittersweet romantic story lines that take place. Also, doubles as coming of age story that perfect for creatives searching for a purpose in their craft.
War_Destroyer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
Did I miss something? Where the hell is Spice and Wolf!? I really loved that show... I hope that someday they'll make a third season.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
I really liked Golden Time while I was watching it...until the ending.

spoiler[It looked like when Linda's stuff was all revealed that the story was gearing towards her and Banri finally getting together, they even had more meaningful moments than Banri and Koko did imo: Linda lying about her confession to avoid mentally regressing him, her apologizing to him in the bathroom when he found out she was playing dumb about knowing him, Banri's memory of Linda causing him to avoid that car crash, Linda taking care of him when he passed out, their fight in the club room when she admitted she would do things different and NOT MISS HER CHANCE, and loads of other things. Hell Linda was the reason Banri went to Tokyo in the first place! She wanted him to go there. It all pointed toward that route, that he was supposed to be with her, but nope they went with Koko. Which was fine except that they accomplished this by shooting the whole message of the story in the damn foot. Aside from romance Golden Time was about accepting your past and yourself, and moving forward with new memories (super summary but still) but instead of Banri accepting himself and who he was before, he got a complete reset and didn't change at all.]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
Funi has had the streaming rights for Tatami almost 5.5 years and they still have yet to release a boxset. Then again, they have other streaming series that they have had longer and haven't the same to them.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
And Golden Time could have been a great romance if it hadn't doubled down on its insane "amnesia ghost" gimmick. But god, that went to a whole new and previously undiscovered level of stupid.
This. It irked me to no end and I just cringed seeing it on this list.

Is it me or is there a few characters on that poll that seem no to have no qualities that mark them as deserving to be redeemed?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
For Golden Time, I apparently feel the exact opposite as most people. I liked the amnesia/struggle with his own past's self, but the romance was just annoying to me. Koko being insufferable through a huge part of the anime probably had something to do with it, but she does get better at the end.
As for the list, my vote goes for Accelerator. Unfortunately the anime doesn't go as far with his redemption as the novels do, but we do still get quite a bit of it both in the first and in the second season.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
Lol at Satsuki Kiryuin becomes runner up. Also glad Harry MacKenzie (read: Harima Kenji) gets 7th rank.

I second HachiKuro as a good college students romance. On the other hand, Emma bored me to death. I guess classics are not for me. Then again, I like Monte cristo, perhaps because they made it look funky.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

Is it me or is there a few characters on that poll that seem no to have no qualities that mark them as deserving to be redeemed?

Not only that but there are a number of anti-villains like Scar and Accelerator on it who get some redemption.

How about From the New World's Squealer? I got the feeling that he got all the crap he did because he was small and ugly. Even his inhuman opposite who actually said he would have done the same as Squealer if he had the chance... or cunning... got an heroic ending. However, while Kiroumaru was just as evil, he was tall and good looking.

I'm not really sure if this counts as I was rooting for Squealer to massacre the whole bunch of them. Because he was small and cunning and the "gods" were prideful and sickeningly evil. Oh yeah, I figured out that "little plot twist" early in the series and thought "wiping the slate clean" would be the best course of action for all involved.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
I'm afraid that this week's poll about which anime villain is most deserving of a redemption will just turn into a popularity contest. I see a couple of villains in that list that should've died sooner or have become irrelevant sooner but their popularity made the author shoehorn the villain again into the story even if they had already overstayed their welcome and then story had finally already moved on.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
I kind of figured since this is an anime-foremost site, that the List this week would be very seinen-heavy, but really, no josei series at all? I can see not going for Paradise Kiss or Skip Beat (HS-age female leads in adult settings). But Princess Jellyfish had at least as fun/wacky a romance brewing as Tatami Galaxy, without the stalker-with-a-crush overtones. Nodame is a harder one, as the anime was all about the music (which I loved), while I hear the manga & dramas were more centered on the romance.

And I guess non-het romances were just off the table... Though I could see where content/age-ratings could become problematic for a lot of series, Gravitation is a safe/popular-enough representative choice.

Quote:
...a medium where sex is either used strictly to titillate or is erased entirely for a "pure" love.

I recognize that this is a generalization about a broad content category (romance in anime), but still, it discounts a good swath of modern shows (from the early '00s onward) that do try to meaningfully incorporate sex into their storylines. Heck, even the shows about teens have been doing a better job of this lately (better reflecting their real-world target demo, I assume).

I can't help but feel the first point is tied to the second - shounen and what I like to call 'late-bloomer' seinen series tend to treat sex as either mysterious or lewd, with not a lot of in-between. Older-protagonist shoujo (age 16+?) and most (all?) josei series tend to incorporate sex, or at least the potential of it (or the specific *lack* of it), as part of the protagonist's development/lifestyle.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
I have only watched two of this week list so I can't really say anything about it. There are a few more like the aforementioned Nana, Paradise Kiss.

For the new poll, in before spoiler[Griffith/Soo-won did nothing wrong], how the heck were Caster, Kotomine suggested, they take joy in the craps they do, I don't see how they deserve another chance.

That being said, I choose Harry Macdowell from Gungrave, not only because I'm such a diehard Gungrave fan, he's not just charismatic, cunning but in spoiler[his show he's the only villain to show sign of remorse, making amend with Grave in the end]. But I doubt that he would even make it to the top 5 consider how underrated Gungrave is.
Nerroth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
While I don't recall reading the manga, I'd put the anime for Ristorante Paradiso on the list - though I suppose one could argue that this show is less about romance as it is about relationships in general.

(And food. Lots of food. Which, as a vegetarian, I would be mostly unable to eat...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5