• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Assassination Classroom

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Martha Harms gets seductress Irina's attitude just right (although she makes no attempt to use the Russian accent that her character's name would suggest).

Personally, I think this is the right choice. Not every person of specific foreign origin needs to have a distinct foreign accent (even within the US characters don't need to be distinguished between the 3 major regions of Canadian, Coastal Surfer, and Southern Drawler). It wouldn't even make sense in this case, since Irina is supposed to be a professional assassin whose talents center around blending in and lowering people's guards.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and Martha Harms gets seductress Irina's attitude just right (although she makes no attempt to use the Russian accent that her character's name would suggest).

Hey, the Japanese VA makes no attempt to even pretend to be good at English even though the character is supposed to teach the language, so they're equal on that one.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
The thing that really impressed me with this was Studio Lerche. A studio that had a really rocky track record adapting one of my favourite manga, i was concerned. But what they gave me was exceptional. I was super happy with the adaptation, especially in terms of capturing the soul of the series in anime form, which many studios tend to ignore. The soundtrack was great, the voice acting was great and the quality of the art and animation was rather shocking from a studio with no big hit. I'm so glad this was popular because the studio used to only do 1 anime a year. While this was airing they announced 3 anime, 2 of those currently airing and are quite excellent and another which looks to have some of the most excellent art from the studio. Thanks Assassination Classroom, you've introduced us to a studio with massive potential, and they seem to be using this opportunity to its fullest.

And thank you Lerche, for treating this series similar to what Production I.G. would've done. You adapted the content very well, but you put the soul of the series before anything else. And to me, that's what makes an adaptation. Roll on S2!
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Jun Fukuyama's performance as Koro-sensei is that good, huh? Damn. And I've been enjoying Sonny Strait's performance as the character a lot so far. Neutral
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I've never been a fan of Fukuyuma, but he really knocked this one out of the park. Sonny's performance is good, but Fukuyuma's is epic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Quote:
Martha Harms gets seductress Irina's attitude just right (although she makes no attempt to use the Russian accent that her character's name would suggest).

Personally, I think this is the right choice. Not every person of specific foreign origin needs to have a distinct foreign accent (even within the US characters don't need to be distinguished between the 3 major regions of Canadian, Coastal Surfer, and Southern Drawler). It wouldn't even make sense in this case, since Irina is supposed to be a professional assassin whose talents center around blending in and lowering people's guards.

Exactly. They point out at various times that her most deadly talent is communication in its various forms. Somebody like that could probably choose any accent she wanted and stick with it. Since she is teaching language and communication to the students, it would be more effective for her to speak in an accent that makes it easier for them to understand.

I'm happy that this was picked up for another season. There are a lot of unanswered questions, and this show is genuinely funny and Koro-sensei's interaction with his students keeps me engaged.
-Ana-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
Well Jun Fukuyama is known for his voice roles are little bit "weird" (Grell from Kuroshitsuji) so I thought he was perfect for Koro-sensei. I'm definitely excited for the second season!
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
Must admit I lost interest about 1/2 way through. It wasn't bad, but the weekly formula was getting a bit stale. I didn't like that they had this class of 20 kids, & then kept introducing new characters instead of utalising the ones already there. Kinda made a lot of episodes feel less about an eccentric teacher & his class of misfits & more a series of tangentially connected wacky one off episodes.
JR-1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:

some odious educational practices

What do you mean by this? I can't seem to find any elaboration of this statement on the actual review (I'm curious whether you mean the practice of the exaggerated segregation of class 3-E and their treatment from their normal teachers and peers, or you find some of Koro-sensei's methods are well-meaning but unpleasant)
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Nice review though I disagree on the dub since I didn't care for it much. Mainly the script changes which surprise, surprise was done by J. Micheal Tatum who's now become notorious for that kind of thing. It's not quite as bad as the most extreme examples of him being too liberal for his own good but I'm somewhat annoyed he felt the need to change Nagisa from being quiet and polite to a snarky smartass because he apparently thought it was funnier and spoiler[it makes the whole contrast between his personality and his unusual talent for assassination less effective]

As for the show itself, it was a lot of fun and I'm generally looking forward to the next season.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Jun Fukuyama's performance as Koro-sensei is that good, huh?

Oh, it is excellent. The regular soft spoken and polite Koro-sensei sounds quite bland on purpose, but when he gets serious, you can almost see the malice in his voice. Pissed of Koro-sensei sounds absolutely terrifying, as should a world-ending monster sound.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Must admit I lost interest about 1/2 way through. It wasn't bad, but the weekly formula was getting a bit stale. I didn't like that they had this class of 20 kids, & then kept introducing new characters instead of utalising the ones already there.

Yeah, when a series has to actually number the kids in the OP, that's when my old Negima "scorecard" traumas start to kick in. Shocked

I'm only seeing the subbed version on Hulu, so I'm only hearing Jun's performance, and he's just irritating enough for the character. Okay, we get it, he's indestructible, but his constant cheeriness is what gives the show it's quirkiness, like Keroro's delusional glee for his incompetent plots on Sgt. Frog.
But as complex as the plot wants to be, the concept's still exploiting the "Burn the school!" frustration of aimless overworked Japanese students (like the constant pinata-beating of Furinkan's principal on Ranma 1/2), so I wasn't quite as wish-fulfillment sympathetic with Karma's arrogant "cool delinquency" to root for him as the manga wanted me to be, and just found him a creeping-out psycho--And not even a decent brooding Columbine time-bomb like we have in our country, but more the sociopathic serial-killer type you'd lock up first with a Hannibal face-mask and think of a charge later.
I like to joke about this series being "To Sir, With Tentacles", and if this creep doesn't suffer some reform-student character development or start becoming the edge-of-the-cliff (literally and figuratively) "bad" example of taking homicidal plots too far, it's going to be a tough slog for me to get through the rest of the series.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I still think I would have preferred Seki Tomokazu for Koro-sensei, his work on the OVA was great. Horie Yui would've been a better fit for Irina too.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm too used to Sonny Strait as Koro-Sensei at this point. I can't turn back now! Anime smile + sweatdrop
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Nice review but it seems that I was happier with the student characters than Theron was. I actually got attached to some of them, notably the aptly named Karma and Rio (although she got almost no screen time) but all of them had something appealing about them. What they all shared was a common background about getting screwed into Class E but then having what it takes to take advantage of Koro-sensei and end up being the best of the Academy instead of the worst. It is hard not to like that.

One plot question:
Theron wrote:
and regardless of whether or not he actually does intend to destroy the planet at the end of the school year,

I am not sure if it is ever established but I had the impression the destruction event was not necessarily under Koro-sensei's control. Is that right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2