• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Secret Revolution of Ouran High School Host Club

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oujosamadeshita

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
Its one of the first shows I've watched. I liked Tamaki but at the same time find him a bit annoying, despite that, I liked his voice actor so I looked him up and things went from there to where I am now......only thirsting over male seiyuus.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
Ouran is still a nostalgic favorite of mine. I remember one of the big ways it was groundbreaking to me personally was that....well...

Haruhi was one of the first anime females I ever liked or related to. Ever.

Before that, I just found girls in anime and manga annoying in some way or another, whether they were a shojo protagonist or a love interest in a harem or shonen show....but then Ouran comes along as says "look, they don't have to be!" and I still adore Haruhi to this day.

I'm so glad the doors got blown open there. Since then, Gou from Free, Yona from Yona of the Dawn, and Shirayuki from Snow White have joined the roster of anime girls I squee over. Goodbye, typical soujo or shonen heroine - I'd rather hang out with these girls, thanks!

That said, the complex and well-written male characters coming out of these series also remain a favorite. Thank you, Ouran!
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Utapri is a fujoshi series? Since when? unless theres some definition of "fujoshi series" Im missing, it seemed to be more of a individual hot guy of the week with some bit of life sprinkled in. I still remember some fans being platinum mad when they saw arts of the boys with each other (same as when BroCon, DiaLover, Amnesia, etc). I love ittoki otoya and lots of utapri songs and the whole utapri (best idol ever) but I wouldnt put it in the same category of Magical Boys or Free! or based on the writers premise, might as well extend that to Haikyuu!! and Kurobas, and Ace of Diamond etc.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, as a self-proclaimed fujoshi, I can't think of any series that matches Rose's definition of "fujoshi comedy" other than Ouran, Free, Cutie High, and... maybe Megane-bu? Kimi to Boku? Hetalia probably counts. But the article makes it sound like there's a new "fujoshi show" every season which is hardly the case.

Reverse Harems, as mentioned in the article, are completely different beasts. The fans are often pretty adverse to yaoi shipping. And as much as I want to love reverse harem, I have yet to see one since Ouran where the boys weren't completely one dimensional stereotype characters. It's too bad Ouran didn't revolutionize that genre. If anything I feel like reverse harems have gone backwards since Fruits Basket and Fushigi Yuugi.

Really it seems like most of the fujoshi these days are (contentedly?) getting their kicks from sports anime. Or rather, I guess they always were (Looking back on UtaPri) but it seemed like there was more fujoshi fodder in all kinds of anime back in the day. I blame the fact that anime features far more female characters now. Or maybe I just lost my fujoshi goggles when I moved on to actual yaoi and romance anime. Laughing

Last edited by rizuchan on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
manga-ka in the making

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Ouran was my very first official anime Anime smile (Not counting pokemon) I love it soooooo much Anime hyper I bought it on a wim with no thought or consideration. But after watching it I just couldn't stop Anime hyper After that I just continued to watch all sorts of anime until this day! It will always be close to my heart :') (I was SO pleased when Tamaki, OH, I mean Vic Mignogna Wink came to comic-con last year :3 Anime hyper )
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Yeah, as a self-proclaimed fujoshi, I can't think of any series that matches Rose's definition of "fujoshi comedy" other than Ouran, Free, Cutie High, and... maybe Megane-bu? Kimi to Boku? Hetalia probably counts. But the article makes it sound like there's a new "fujoshi show" every season which is hardly the case.

Reverse Harems, as mentioned in the article, are completely different beasts. The fans are often pretty adverse to yaoi shipping. And as much as I want to love reverse harem, I have yet to see one since Ouran where the boys weren't completely one dimensional stereotype characters. It's too bad Ouran didn't revolutionize that genre. If anything I feel like reverse harems have gone backwards since Fruits Basket and Fushigi Yuugi.

Really it seems like most of the fujoshi these days are (contentedly?) getting their kicks from sports anime. Or rather, I guess they always were (Looking back on UtaPri) but it seemed like there was more fujoshi fodder in all kinds of anime back in the day. I blame the fact that anime features far more female characters now. Or maybe I just lost my fujoshi goggles when I moved on to actual yaoi and romance anime. Laughing

Sports and mecha (Fafner, Aldnoah Zero, Valvrave (Lelf and Haru!) and random post apocalyptic series seem the best for fujoshi fans now (Shingeki, Seraph of the End)
epicrevenge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Great article! Very Happy Ouran means a lot to me and will always be a favourite of mine so it's great to see that it isn't being forgotten.

Without Ouran I would probably not have gone on to become an anime fan, because before Ouran I had mostly watched the kinds of anime created for straight males like School Days and Maburaho. My main reason for occasionally watching an anime back then was curiosity. Once I found Ouran I finally started to find anime I actually enjoyed because I now knew that anime could be more than just kids shows or a boring teenage guy with a million girlfriends. Mad

I thank Ouran (and of course Bisco Hatori and Bones) for paving the way for tons of other anime and manga that I have enjoyed over the last couple of years, and for Haruhi Fujioka who will always be one of my favourite fictional characters. And without Ouran I might have never known my friend also watched anime too! Smile It is definitely a series which united people (particularly females) and gave them something to share and enjoy together that males can't hate on because they like it too!
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Speak up if you're a guy and you enjoyed watching Ouran.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I did, though I'm a bit late to the party on it Laughing

Admittedly I did stay away from the shojo genre for a long time as a teenager both because of the reasons Rose listed and also because I found the idea of it being completely tied down to romance all of the time to be kind of offputting. I wouldn't quite say that Ouran changed my perception since I didn't actually finish getting through the show until just earlier this year but it did change my perception of the genre a bit when I first saw a handful of episodes way back when. I'm glad that a lot of the stuff it brought to the table has slowly become the norm and while I still wouldn't call shojo a favorite, I've picked up a lot more series from that demographic in recent years and it's easy to see where Ouran influenced them.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Yep, right here.

While I don't often hunt for these shows, if someone says "This is really good" I'll see if I can work myself into watching some. I found Free! to be a very funny show (though I stopped somewhere i the middle of season 2, I'll continue some time!) I think it goes to show so long as things are done well, there's a good chance it'll be successful. Males can watch Free! and Ouran and have just as good of a time. Plenty of females like Robots and Fighting. Really, I think genres are just guidelines like flavors. Sometimes I want the ham, sometimes I want the cheese.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
This was a really interesting article! I never thought of it that way before.

I watched Ouran WAY back in the day when it was only just coming out. I was still pretty new to anime, and happened to stumble across it on youtube. (ah, the good ol' days of youtube fansubs xD) After watching the first 15 or so episodes...that was it. There was no more. I was so confused! It was actually the first anime I'd ever discovered while it was still airing, so after that I eagerly waited every week for the newest episode.

Sadly, I think I was too young at the time to realize just how much this anime was breaking down the walls. I fell head over heels for the Hitachiin twins. Even as an innocent little girl back then, the fantasy of having two guys was wonderful xD I loved the episodes that went into each character's backstory, not with Haruhi, but each other. It was refreshing to not have to deal with overused childhood friend troupes, especially since they wouldn't make sense in this case.

I think the big things Ouran did was focus on the guys and their relationships without implying any gay at all. Back then I fought tooth and nail to defend the Hitachiin twins as being straight. If I were to only just discover the series now...still not sure I'd ship the twins, but Tamaki and Kyouya would almost definitely get shipped xD It broke into the fujoshi genre without going too over the top. And it needed to be like that. Too much too soon might have turned off viewers, but now I can definitely see how it led to things like Free, where every single male character is shipped with other (and in lots of cases, multiple) guys.

I'm so glad I found Ouran when I was still a young, newbie fan. Even though it's aging (like holy crap, I couldn't believe it's been 9 years) it's still a fantastic anime and one of my go-to recommendations for girls looking for new anime. (and certain boys, depends on their interests if they can enjoy it or not xD)
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
It's still on my to-watch list. I just wanted to say I really like this kind of articles and essays that seem to appear more frequently recently.
Kyjin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Funny enough, I started rewatching Ouran last week. I don't think I've sat down and watched the entire series since my freshman year of college, where it was the biggest hit of the year in my anime club. (The other major hit that year was Code Geass. Smile ) While I had been an anime fan for several years prior to Ouran, that was one of the first anime that really set me off into my otaku phase in college, and really introduced me to shipping. (I was obsessed with shipping the twins.) I have to say, even nine years later, the show is still hilarious and one of my all-time favorites. I'm planning on hunting down the manga after I finish my rewatch since I never did get around to reading it back then, and would love to see how the relationships developed. Still wish there had been another season, but I suppose it's far too late for that now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kai99

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Agree with Wingbeats. It is very rare for me to like a main female character as much as I like the male characters, and Haruhi ended up as my favorite character out of all of them, though the others are barely behind her. With seven main characters this show could have easily had a that one annoying character that makes a show torture for me, but not one of them were. I enjoyed getting lost in the world of Ouran's, and it is hands down one of the best anime/manga to me.

If a second season is announced, than my life will be complete!
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Kyjin wrote:
I'm planning on hunting down the manga after I finish my rewatch since I never did get around to reading it back then, and would love to see how the relationships developed. Still wish there had been another season, but I suppose it's far too late for that now.

Ouran and Fruits Basket reboots are two things I'd kill to see happen...but both are extremely unlikely. You should definitely read the manga though! The anime follows it really closely besides the last 2-3 episodes with Eclair, which is anime-original. It's really nice to see how the relationships play out, and one of those series that kind of leaves you satisfied instead of wishing it wasn't over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4