• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Adds Masamune-kun's Revenge Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Never heard of this before but I really like that synopsis and the art looks fab, sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Another series to add to the 'to buy' list. The amount keeps increasing.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading the first few chapters a while back (was it the first 2 or 3? I can't recall precisely) and thought that the art was "nice, but familiar;" when I'm looking at that art style, I can almost remember a different manga who had a very similar art style, but I can't remember which. And it isn't from the creators of this one... Oh, and I was also somewhat impressed that it wasn't a manga adaptation to a LN series, but an original story, because these, more often than not, mangas with an angsty high-schooler male lead are usually LN adaptations.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
I remember reading the first few chapters a while back (was it the first 2 or 3? I can't recall precisely) and thought that the art was "nice, but familiar;" when I'm looking at that art style, I can almost remember a different manga who had a very similar art style, but I can't remember which. And it isn't from the creators of this one... Oh, and I was also somewhat impressed that it wasn't a manga adaptation to a LN series, but an original story, because these, more often than not, mangas with an angsty high-schooler male lead are usually LN adaptations.

From the pages I looked at,the art style is kinda similar to SNAFU. This sounds like fun.I'd probably give a read.
Niyari

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
yay this is one of the titles i suggested a while back. feelsgoodman.jpg
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, 2016 looks like a year where I will have a number of manga titles finishing.

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer (might actually finish this year), Inu x Boku SS, Demon from Afar, Evergreen, My Little Monster, and (probably) OreImo:Kuroneko. Since 2 of those are Seven Seas titles, I think I have found a replacement for one of those free spots. Laughing

I've not seen many series with a similar premise. Hell, the only one I've read that is similar, is quite new (in terms of getting an English release). That being Komomo's Confiserie. Though, I feel that the way they'll handle the revenge will be different, seeing as Komomo is a shojo manga.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
REVENGE, revenge. Always liked that in A Fish Called Wanda.
Sounds interesting. I shall take a look.
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
So... is this a gender-swap of Girlsaurus basically?
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the synopsis, the similarity I see between this and Girl Saurus is that a character loses weight. Where's the sweet, sweet revenge? I mean, the Girl Saurus MC becomes afraid of women...which doesn't seem to be the case here.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:11 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Looking at the synopsis, the similarity I see between this and Girl Saurus is that a character loses weight. Where's the sweet, sweet revenge? I mean, the Girl Saurus MC becomes afraid of women...which doesn't seem to be the case here.

MC was bullied by lead female for being fat & unpopular, time-leap a few years later and the cast is in their high-school years (as always) and the formerly-bullied lead male is a handsome lad with good looks & grades. His revenge is to make the bully female to fall for him, and then reject her.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

As an overweight child, Makabe Masamune was mercilessly teased and bullied by one particular girl, Adagaki Aki. Determined to one day exact his revenge upon her, Makabe begins a rigorous regimen of self-improvement and personal transformation.

Heheh Jared Laughing

Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:21 am Reply with quote
After the whole Jared scandal, didn't think I'd see him pop up here. Laughing

Hameyadea wrote:
MC was bullied by lead female for being fat & unpopular, time-leap a few years later and the cast is in their high-school years (as always) and the formerly-bullied lead male is a handsome lad with good looks & grades. His revenge is to make the bully female to fall for him, and then reject her.

I'm confused as to why you've written the synopsis for Masamune-kun's Revenge...because this is what I've read for Girl Saurus:
Quote:
The story revolves around 16-year-old Shingo Chiryu, who had been beaten and hospitalized for a month by a morbidly obese girl whose naked confession he had rejected. As a result of the encounter, Shingo has developed a fear of all women, called gynophobia. While Shingo tries to hide his fear, the school nurse notices it and advises him to join the boxing club. However, Shingo soon finds out that all of its members are girls, the club's adviser is the school nurse, and one of the club's members, the (now slim) Haruka Nishiharu, is the very girl who had put him in the hospital.
http://myanimelist.net/manga/1088/Girls_Saurus

As I mentioned, weight loss is the only similarity I see in the synopsis.

Unless he joins the boxing club, and then plans to get revenge on the girl...while being afraid to get near females?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

After the whole Jared scandal, didn't think I'd see him pop up here. Laughing

Hey it's his revenge! Think about it.

Ali07 wrote:

I'm confused as to why you've written the synopsis for Masamune-kun's Revenge...because this is what I've read for Girl Saurus:
Quote:
The story revolves around 16-year-old Shingo Chiryu, who had been beaten and hospitalized for a month by a morbidly obese girl whose naked confession he had rejected. As a result of the encounter, Shingo has developed a fear of all women, called gynophobia. While Shingo tries to hide his fear, the school nurse notices it and advises him to join the boxing club. However, Shingo soon finds out that all of its members are girls, the club's adviser is the school nurse, and one of the club's members, the (now slim) Haruka Nishiharu, is the very girl who had put him in the hospital.
http://myanimelist.net/manga/1088/Girls_Saurus

Reminds us of this story:

The Love Affair Behind A College Beauty Queen’s Amazing 33kg (73lb) Diet! How Ever Did She Do It?

• Just a month ago, we brought to you the story of the amazing cosplay diet that had the Japanese internet buzzing. Now, there’s another young lady who achieved equally incredible results dieting — motivated by her love for a manga comic, no less. And we have to say our hats were off to her when we learned how she shed off the weight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1