• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Owarimonogatari Anime to Cover 1st 2 Novel Volumes in 12 Episodes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
Now, fans don't have to worry about how much is getting covered. For those that are wanting these series to have more anime, there is over 50 eps. total.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:01 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Now, fans don't have to worry about how much is getting covered. For those that are wanting these series to have more anime, there is over 50 eps. total.

Has this been confirmed?

Because Owarimonogatari 1 and 2 = 12 eps
Koyomimonogatari and Owarimonogatari 3 =12 eps

Then Zokuowarimonogatari will probably 5-6 eps

And Kizumonogatari will be a movie.

Or am I just missing something?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:05 am Reply with quote
I include the OVAs. Refer to the "Monogatari (series)" on Wikipedia for the episode count.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I include the OVAs. Refer to the "Monogatari (series)" on Wikipedia for the episode count.

Well there are 65 episodes currently. But I can't seem to figure they are making 50 more episodes. There should be about 100 episodes though. Which makes me pretty happy.
thofheinz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And Kizumonogatari will be a movie.

I am now convinced that fans have been subjected to the evilest trolling ever by a series creator.

Kizu will never appear. Its art, animation etc. will be pathetically out-of-date if it does.

There's no good excuse, but i'd bet a cheeseburger and milk shake on this.

On another note, Marina Inoue interests me... She's an excellent actress who has somehow played both characters I love (Kyoko in Skip Beat) and characters I hate with a bitter burning passion (Rei in High School of the Dead). This should be quite a show.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
I just think they decided to make Kizu as the last animated Monogatari, for whatever reason.
thofheinz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I just think they decided to make Kizu as the last animated Monogatari, for whatever reason.

That is possible, but it's hard for me to believe that even a contrarian, obnoxious, audience-baiting butt-wipe like Shinbo could ignore these facts:

Kizu holds the ENTIRE backstory for Araragi's and Shinobu's relationship, including the reason for their absolute commitment to each other.

Kizu holds the ENTIRE backstory for Hanekawa's relationship with Araragi.

Kizu holds the ENTIRE backstory for how Araragi began working with Oshino and clashing with the other ghost-busters in the first place.

Kizu is...the most beautifully constructed narrative in the entire saga. That, of course, is the least "objective" of what I've listed, but I think it's significant in terms of the coherence of the various series and sequences of shows coming after.

What I seriously believe is that they finished the film and decided they didn't like it, so they threw little fragments from it into the shows (Shinobu bleeding out on the street, Oshino holding her heart, etc.) instead of releasing it in entirety.
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
thofheinz wrote:
That is possible, but it's hard for me to believe that even a contrarian, obnoxious, audience-baiting butt-wipe like Shinbo could ignore these facts: [...]

It's not like the decision falls entirely on him anyway, but it sounds like all the more reason from a creative perspective to show it as a coda for the whole franchise. Puts context to a lot of things already shown, and then causes people to rewatch the whole anime with their new understanding of the missing puzzle pieces. It probably wasn't originally their intention to do it that way, but given the delays at this point, it would make sense to resequence it (rather than to just randomly release it in the middle of nowhere).

I don't think there's any reason to not release it at all, or that it's at all likely that they "didn't like it" (this is SHAFT -- they'd just redo it, or release it anyway and redo it again). Given the amount of praise the novel gets from novel readers like yourselves, they don't have to worry about the hype dying off even if they release it at the very end.
thofheinz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Given the amount of praise the novel gets from novel readers like yourselves, they don't have to worry about the hype dying off even if they release it at the very end.

You have a point. I dislike Shinbo intensely and absolutely despise Araragi's character, but I keep watching anyway for those beautiful moments like Hitagi End, where Shinbo does his job and Araragi only shows up for a few seconds, and I seem to be easily trolled when it comes to Kizu, which is what pisses me off.

All of this is made richer by reading the novels, even in poor translation. It will be cool when they're translated into English.

All I have to do is stop watching, but I keep coming back for the beauty and drama despite a pedophile main character, because of Tsubasa and Hitagi and Kaiki. And, of course, the performance of the very great Chiwa Saito.

Incidentally, the only part of the saga where I like Araragi is Kizu. Odd.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
thofheinz wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:

That is possible, but it's hard for me to believe that even a contrarian, obnoxious, audience-baiting butt-wipe like Shinbo could ignore these facts:

Shinbo isn't the director of Kizu, he is chief director of all monogatari, but each series has a different director. (like how Shinbo was chief of Nisekoi but the actual director of it is Tatsuwa), but the actual director for the film is Tatsuya Oishi, who was the director of Bakemonogatari. This is all according to ANN's "Monogatari Is A Disaster, Go Watch it" article.

And it was actually shown from tanabata that Oishi wrote "fighting fiercly", so something must be up, whether its creative problems or behind the scene trouble but their is something up for a director to say "Fighting Fiercly". however i think we are gonna get some news this fall. With rumours saying it was gonna come it this fall since early 2014, the launch of the novel in english this fall and how hints are starting to drop from shaft themselves this year.

I have this itch that this "1 hour long episode being screened" will have a little something at the end exclusive for those who actually go to the screenings. But that's just my wish as a fan.

To be honest i think Kizu will come out second last before Owari Zoku.
thofheinz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I think those are good points.

I guess I'm irritable on this because I really love Kizu, to tell the truth.

Quote:

Shinbo isn't the director of Kizu, he is chief director of all monogatari, but each series has a different director. (like how Shinbo was chief of Nisekoi but the actual director of it is Tatsuwa), but the actual director for the film is Tatsuya Oishi, who was the director of Bakemonogatari. This is all according to ANN's "Monogatari Is A Disaster, Go Watch it" article.

And it was actually shown from tanabata that Oishi wrote "fighting fiercly", so something must be up, whether its creative problems or behind the scene trouble but their is something up for a director to say "Fighting Fiercly". however i think we are gonna get some news this fall. With rumours saying it was gonna come it this fall since early 2014, the launch of the novel in english this fall and how hints are starting to drop from shaft themselves this year.

I have this itch that this "1 hour long episode being screened" will have a little something at the end exclusive for those who actually go to the screenings. But that's just my wish as a fan.

To be honest i think Kizu will come out second last before Owari Zoku.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
thofheinz wrote:

Ain't we all haha. Well at least we get an official translation in november. Its gonna be a treat whenever it comes out. Its too big to ever get a half ass production
thofheinz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
thofheinz wrote:

Ain't we all haha. Well at least we get an official translation in november. Its gonna be a treat whenever it comes out. Its too big to ever get a half ass production

It was far from perfect, but the Neko series showed that they have the ability to pull off a strong prolonged narrative if they really try. The thing about Kizu is it's really exactly that. There's not much "keeping jive alive" in it, no matter how delightful.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

It was far from perfect, but the Neko series showed that they have the ability to pull off a strong prolonged narrative if they really try. The thing about Kizu is it's really exactly that. There's not much "keeping jive alive" in it, no matter how delightful.

I am a major major fan of the series. And even i agree it has its imperfections. But i love those imperfections. Most notably is the borderline hentai fan service.I hate fan service, but whatever it is with Monogatari's fan-service, i don't mind it, yeah it is disturbing but its hilarious (even if i feel guilty after for finding it hilarious). There's just something about the series i just adore, both its goods and bads. And tbh.... you gotta admit, Shaft are doing a great job. Their artstyle is very divisive, but as an artist myself, im just in love with it.

I have a weird love for everything in the series, but i can understand your dislikes that you stated in the previous comments. [/quote]
thofheinz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have a weird love for everything in the series, but i can understand your dislikes that you stated in the previous comments.

Not so weird, I guess... Not everyone perceives a lot of that stuff the same way, especially Araragi's predatory behavior.

Besides, clearly I can only bitch and moan so much without admitting that I watch EVERY DAMN MINUTE no matter what sickening thing may be going on. It's extremely beautiful and well done, and frankly my life would be less without Tsubasa's and Hitagi's voice actors creating those goddesses for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2