• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hana Yori Dango: Final Movie to End Live-Action Drama

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotaruzuki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Mwahahahaha! Yes!

I'm a big fan of the drama so this is great news for me! ^^
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched any of the live action series yet. How faithful is it to the manga?
aluria

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
OMG! After finishing Hana Yori Dango 2 I was really hoping for something more so this is excellent news. Can't wait!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
I haven't watched any of the live action series yet. How faithful is it to the manga?

Well it is not a faithful adaptation. There are a lot of composite characters meant to represent multiple people. There are story lines that did not occur in the manga. Manga storylines resolve themselves in ways very different from the manga. BUT Overall it was as much of a 36 volume manga that you could reasonably expect. A lot was changed but I think it kept to the spirit of the manga (Mainly the constant desire to strangle Tsuchi and Tsukasa). For a more faithful adaptation watch the anime (though it only makes it to volume 20 or so). However if you are a fan of the general story you should enjoy the live-action version.

Plus they smooth out some of the more disturbing aspects of their relationship --No slapping or domestic violence at all!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:11 am Reply with quote
My daughter and I are now up to volume 18 of the manga for this. I feel the same way about wanting to slap the two of them. I really like these slice of life type stories where no character has any special supernatural powers to rely on to get out of some trouble and strife, spoiler[but these two just keep circling round the outer perimeter of their stormy relationship like so much debris and only find peace when they are apart than together, and quite frankly it's getting rather old. Tsukushi needs a reality check real soon. ] I shall not be watching the anime when it eventually washes up on our shore, nor the movies neither. The manga is tedious enough, and live action only works for the Japanese to me with this.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:43 am Reply with quote
It could be interesting to see a movie, though I'm not going to go crazy with excitement over the prospect. I thought the live action series ended well (the second one, that is...the first had an evil cliffhanger). I'm also presuming that was where the manga itself ends, since the story for the movie is being developed from scratch by the mangaka and the writer, though for people who really love the series, any new glimpse is probably eagerly wanted.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
How much conflict could there possibly be left after HYDII's final episode? o_O; OK, sure, it IS Hana Yori Freaking Dango, but spoiler[Domyouji proposing to Tsukushi, Tsukki accepting, Domyou-mama accepting, all possible outside love interests accepting] there's not much room left.

I expected Hanadan 2 to suck and it rocked, so my expectations are a little high this time round.[/spoiler]
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I shall not be watching the anime when it eventually washes up on our shore, nor the movies neither.

you do realize that the anime has long been licensed here in the US.
kie480

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I loved the first season of the drama but season 2 got pretty repetitive and fustrating. I personally think instead of making a movie, they should just make an hour drama wedding special or something.
scortia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
My daughter and I are now up to volume 18 of the manga for this. I feel the same way about wanting to slap the two of them. I really like these slice of life type stories where no character has any special supernatural powers to rely on to get out of some trouble and strife, spoiler[but these two just keep circling round the outer perimeter of their stormy relationship like so much debris and only find peace when they are apart than together, and quite frankly it's getting rather old. Tsukushi needs a reality check real soon. ] I shall not be watching the anime when it eventually washes up on our shore, nor the movies neither. The manga is tedious enough, and live action only works for the Japanese to me with this.

I actually like the anime over the manga in most places. The anime was wise enough to cut out all the pointless side stories... so there are less 'breaking up and going out again' scenes happening over and over again... Plus, well, the 'atmosphere' of the anime is lovely. The music gives it an awesome feel (yay for classical instrumentals) and the voice acting is great. (But, Tsukushi saying "Hanazawa... Rui..." for the fiftieth time is still just as annoying! ^^; ) Sure the art teeters around the manga's style from around vol 12 or so (its at its best around 20 imho.. before the guys get exceptionally feminine looking hehe), but hey... the anime is why I became obsessed with this series... and I DESPISE Shoujo Romance series typically. This is just about the only exception.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1