• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
YouTube changes

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:58 am Reply with quote
If you (like me) are in the U.S., has losing access to official YouTube channels of so many Japanese groups affected your lifestyle over the last week or so?
It has me! YouTube is so convenient that I have to say I rely on it a lot when my younger son (now two) calls for "AKBiiiiiii!" and so on. I can quickly find something on my tablet, and there you are.
Losing that is just a little annoyance.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
If you (like me) are in the U.S., has losing access to official YouTube channels of so many Japanese groups affected your lifestyle over the last week or so?
It has me!

I'm in Australia so I've just been on the receiving end of companies like Sony Music Entertainment deciding that Kalafina's Youtube channel is for Japan only (in spite of their international following).

Have you considered trying Youtube Red service (does it remove the block)?

I'd also consider getting a full subscription to Nico Nico but that is subject to region blocking also Mad
SamuelSpade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Good a place to ask as any.

Read a couple articles this week about why Youtube was blocking access to lots of Japanese music and allegations that, despite Youtube saying the labels are doing it, it's about money and pay-for streaming revenue. Again. But who knows what really goes on behind closed doors and the decisions they all make.

In any case, where can we listen? I am one of those that listens to things before I decide to buy. Especially expensive imports. I did try to import an album from Az jp recently but they wouldnt sell/ship it to me due to non-specific restrictions. Dunno if other places wont do it either for the same thing.

thanks.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Try the search engine Duck Duck Go -- it doesn't have the restrictions that Google does.
SamuelSpade

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I will have to bookmark that one and see how it compares thanks. One thing I wont do is enable Flash if a website requires it. Too many security holes. Of course there were plenty of search results pointing to getting music in 'other' ways but not going to do that either. Kinda makes it hard for a record label to make a buck, or yen. Razz
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
SamuelSpade wrote:
[...] One thing I wont do is enable Flash if a website requires it. Too many security holes. [...]

That's why I use Linux. Smile Cool
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
@SamuelSpade - CDJapan is where I get all my import CDs from. Never had a problem with shipping abroad.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
@SamuelSpade - CDJapan is where I get all my import CDs from. Never had a problem with shipping abroad.

CD Japan even helped me get a special extra that required coupons from two earlier purchases that I had made from them, so I can well recommend their service.

There was a CD by Rie Akagi (flute player used by Yuki Kajiura extensively including with Kalafina) that was only stocked by Amazon.co.jp and would not ship overseas. As I had a few days in Tokyo around the time it came out, I ordered it through amazon.co.jp and had it delivered to my hotel, otherwise I would have had to use a forwarding service like fromjapan.co.jp.
faridania

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Luckily, I have no problem in tuning anime in youtube here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1