• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Adult Japanese Fans Pick Top Anime That Made Them Cry

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jakerams

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Finally people who give Air the credit it deserves. I personally found Air to be sadder than any of Key's other series. Plastic Memory was really good but it was missing a good enough soundtrack to make you care about the anime. Also glad to see Shigatsu up there.

Last edited by Jakerams on Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 taking the top spot, was a very good series and pretty sad.
Isinfier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Jakerams wrote:
Finally people who give Air the credit it deserves. I personally found Air to be sadder than any of Key's other series. Plastic Memory was really good but it was missing a good enough soundtrack to make you care about the anime. Also glad to see Shigatsu up there.

People seem to pass Air over on account of how old it is. I know of people that say they love Key, yet have never touched Air, Kanon or the Clannad movie.

That and it doesn't seem to have been widely released. Heck, we don't even have Air, Kanon or the Clannad movie in the UK.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
It is official, ladies and gentlemen! Even Gundam 0080 is sadder than Madoka.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Why is Up on this list? It's an American animation movie.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is definitely worth being number one though. Especially the dub.

I wonder why Tekkonkinkreet is on the list. It's barely even sad.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Plastic Memories? Has there ever been such paint-by-numbers "you will cry to this!" melodrama? I mean, aside from trite sentimental crap like Air or Kanon, or any of those. Let tragedy rise naturally from developing storylines, not movies and TV shows whose goals are to get you to weep from cheap "feels".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
@Isinfier Old? It only came out in 2005
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I've cried at three shows....two when I was a young teen watching them on TV. The other, when I was a kid.

When Digimon Adventure was new on TV, I cried at Wizardmon's death. I then went to Tokyo and confused my aunt by crying in front of that particular TV station as a 15-year-old haha.

I bawled at the end of Wolf's Rain at like 3am sitting in the dark by myself. Especially over Toboe, who was my favorite as a tween.

I also cried a bunch when the main guy's best friend died in Gankutsuou. I really liked that guy!

Anime that bring me close to crying as an adult:

Noragami, Natsume Yuujinchou, Eccentric Family
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Well Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and Air are tear jerks but Plastic Memories was just crap
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
The first anime thing I cried on was the Pokemon First Movie. Yet in later years, Wolf Children and Clannad After Story had me in tears badly. I even cry at the end of After Story when Ushio runs through the flowers too...guess that would be happy tears though.

No. 6 also had me in tears. I guess I'm a sap. lol
Isinfier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
@Isinfier Old? It only came out in 2005

Which was, what, ten years ago? When that's a little under half your life, it seems old to you. >_>
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
The ending of Sword Art Online II made me cry like a baby.
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to see Air make the list when it generally seems to be the least-regarded of the trilogy, but it was a pretty sad story for sure. Not one that made me actually flat-out cry, though I did get a little "misty" at the end.

Ones that DID make me cry, there haven't been many, but these four did it.

Kanon was one of them - that one hit me hard twice the first time I saw it back around 2007/8-ish, in episode 9 and episode 24.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero, especially in episode 11.

K-On, episode 20 of the second season, after spoiler[their last concert] (that was also when I realized just how unexpectedly deep that show had pulled me in).

La Maison en Petits Cubes. Maybe because I'm older and could appreciate to some extent what the old man in the story is going through, but this is one anime short that just really hit me hard in the feels. And did it without a single line of dialogue in the whole film, no less.
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Plastic Memories? Has there ever been such paint-by-numbers "you will cry to this!" melodrama? I mean, aside from trite sentimental crap like Air or Kanon, or any of those. Let tragedy rise naturally from developing storylines, not movies and TV shows whose goals are to get you to weep from cheap "feels".

Excellent post sir. Couldn't agree more.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I still cry every time I watch spoiler[the Going Merry's funeral] in One Piece, and I've seen it more times than I can count. Just about every backstory there (especially Robin's) makes me misty-eyed at the very least. Same with spoiler[Suzuha's letter] in Steins;Gate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7