• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love Live! School Festival, Bleach Brave Souls Developer KLab's Profits Drop

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
It's not a surprise. Frankly, I never figured out how they make money off the international release, considering the cost for loveca is ridiculously high. I can see how the home market, Jp version does well, because you can get loveca or special SR/UR cards via codes from buying character goods.

Buy a Nico plushie for ¥1500 and get a code for a free UR Nico, KLab gets a 2%-3% royalty from the sale of said plushie and you have yourself a revenue stream. doesn't work when they don't do this for the international version. The servers that handle the 10 million players on the international version aren't free.

Can't speak for Bleach as I haven't played it.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh, please don't let Love Live! SIF close. I just started and It's the best goddamn app game I've ever played. I haven't had this much fun with my phone in... well ever.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
That 60%+ profit drop has really got to hurt KLab. They might have made some money had they offered incentives to bring more potential players over, like offering a free card for every couple of Love Live figures that has been bought, for instance.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
That 60%+ profit drop has really got to hurt KLab. They might have made some money had they offered incentives to bring more potential players over, like offering a free card for every couple of Love Live figures that has been bought, for instance.

They already do this, on the JP version (as I stated in my post). You can buy figures that come with the code for a free SR/UR card, you can also get codes from the egg machines, claw games, poster and books as well as from certain magazine such as NewType.

the issue is not getting more players, in fact the more people who play, the more it costs to operate, and maintain the servers. this is why they get a cut from the sales of related merch that includes codes. But, it only works if you have the Jp version of the game.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the money pit is drying up Laughing.
thennarynak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I guess this is in part why they are getting into business with Broccoli. Still quite curious what is going to come of that collaboration.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Definitely the effect of Deresute (The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls: Starlight Stage). It's a better-made game, and everybody's switching to that.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I guess that would kill any possibility of LLSIF being ported over to the Windows 10 platform (PC and mobile).

I can't say I'm not part of the problem, being a player since March 2015, 88 Exp from Rank 160, and having never spent a dime...

The costs would probably be unreasonable, but it might help if the English version caught up to the Japanese version much faster. Aquors is entering the game, but if the current progress continues, we won't get it till next year...
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:24 am Reply with quote
It's the Japanese side of the business that has profits fallen by 60%. Not sure if people realise this as they seem to be criticising the EN server. (My bad if you did know)
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:08 am Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
It's the Japanese side of the business that has profits fallen by 60%. Not sure if people realise this as they seem to be criticising the EN server. (My bad if you did know)

If that's the case, then the English users of LLSIF can breathe a sigh of relief...I think...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:22 am Reply with quote
KLab's gonna get bought out! Wink
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if the announcement of Aquors negatively affected their sales. I know a lot of people are up in arms about them "replacing" u's.

And I played the Bleach game for like 2 weeks. It's pretty bland, and extremely easy to get energy and gems/orbs without having to spend any money. I've spent more than I care to admit on Love Live, but not a cent on Bleach and already had 3 5 stars (LL equivalent of URs).
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the announcement of Aquors negatively affected their sales. I know a lot of people are up in arms about them "replacing" u's.

Aqours' first single sold 2/3s of what the most recent single from Muse sold so I don't think there's too much of a worry of fans not accepting them. That's a great retention rate to be starting with. & it will likely get higher once the anime has aired this summer & converted more doubters. I think a lot of the backlash in the western fanbase is because people aren't really familiar with the way idols graduate & get replaced as time goes on.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Aqours' first single sold 2/3s of what the most recent single from Muse sold so I don't think there's too much of a worry of fans not accepting them. That's a great retention rate to be starting with. & it will likely get higher once the anime has aired this summer & converted more doubters. I think a lot of the backlash in the western fanbase is because people aren't really familiar with the way idols graduate & get replaced as time goes on.

Wow, I didn't realize it sold so well! Good for them though. I'm in the middle ground myself, not really for or against Aquors yet (I'm sure I'll love them when the anime comes out, but right now I'm not quite ready to let go of u's)

Then maybe KLab will start doing better when it starts releasing SR/UR cards of Aquors, since I think they only released Rs so far.
Wonderllama

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Love Live is losing popularity without a TV show on air.

(I wish each season had 24 episodes, not 13 Sad )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2