• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, February 8-14 [2016-02-16]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Good numbers for ITOAR despite being 2k lower. K.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm ecstatic that Is the Order A Rabbit is performing alright at nearly 8,070 copies. Smile
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, seeing how Waganaria 3 has sold, AoA probably won't be releasing the series on disc. Not surprised with the drop off in sales, seeing as there were 4 years between season 2 and 3.

Sad really, as it is a series that I want to own on disc, but I wouldn't have this concern if NISA had the license.
shuusei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Well, seeing how Waganaria 3 has sold, AoA probably won't be releasing the series on disc. Not surprised with the drop off in sales, seeing as there were 4 years between season 2 and 3.

Sad really, as it is a series that I want to own on disc, but I wouldn't have this concern if NISA had the license.

was just about to say this. The sales have been worrying so we'll probably get stuck with DVD only release IF that.

I don't really mind aniplex, I just hate that if a show isn't a breakthrough hit, they won't release it. I'd have gladly shelled out money for Mushishi in a blu Ray box.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:34 am Reply with quote
Minions over 100K

Ali07 wrote:

That's always been a common complaint about Japanese TV:

• One final point we’d like to add is that unlike in American television production, very few prime-time fictional series in Japan receive more than a one-season contract at a time. A typical season lasts 13 weeks, after which the show’s performance will be judged, and if it makes financial sense, producers will commission a second season, which may not be ready to air until years later. This stilted production schedule makes it almost impossible to craft the kind of sustained, complex narratives that Western viewers have enjoyed in shows such as Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, or The Shield.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:52 am Reply with quote
It's why a lot of series don't seem to meet my expectations when it comes to their ending. Sometimes, the studio is kind of "damned if they do, damned if they don't", when it comes to ending the series in a way that gives enough closure for me.

I can understand that the industry is very different to serialised US shows, but I'd say I've seen a lot more anime series that I'd deem "forgettable" (which usually means I'll never watch it again or buy it on disc) than US tv series. And, I've only really been into anime for a few years now...Laughing

shuusei wrote:
I don't really mind aniplex, I just hate that if a show isn't a breakthrough hit, they won't release it. I'd have gladly shelled out money for Mushishi in a blu Ray box.

I know the whole pricing aspect is just a can of worms, but I also can't say I haven't paid more $ for an AoA series compared to others. Whatever AoA has ends up being released here (usually by Hanabee) at a similar price point. The Monogatari series being the one I've forked out more cash for.

And, since Wagnaria was never licensed over here, it is one of the few series that I have to rely on a US release for. I'm unsure if it made it to the UK, so if AoA don't throw it on a disc, that's probably it for that series.

I really want to own the series, but I can't bring myself to buy NISA's releases without knowing if I'll be able to own the final season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1