• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
Glad to hear the PC version worked in the game's favor. Managing to aim the bullets in both the PSP and Vita version was a headache unless you slowed down the text :/
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Finally, I can recommend this game to other people! Nobody around me owns a Vita, or wants one, so this was really hard to get people into. NOW THEY HAVE NO EXCUSE.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Seriously great game. If you have any interest at all, give it a try.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for your review Jacob. It had always been my assumption that the terrain of video game genres neatly partitioned into two: the cerebral, chess-like adventure and strategy games lay claim to one territory, the frenzied mass of joystick-jostling action titles comfortably held the other. Here it seems we have quite the exception to this dichotomy. Being the naif I am, I would never have expected this of sort of description to apply to a visual novel:
Quote:
Unique mystery-solving tricks like blasting contradictory statements in a trial with "truth bullets," wearing down the enemy through competitive rhythm minigames, or cementing a verdict by illustrating it in manga form give Danganronpa plenty of standout charm…

'Tis all a little bizarre, and not quite the sort of thing I would be enthused by, though at least I now understand this franchise's hybrid appeal. (I was wondering why I kept seeing that two-toned bear motif in such abundance.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Definitely one of my favorite genre commentaries in recent years. It's a rare kind of writing that can have pretty much every single character, at some point, point out the trashy absurdity of the premise without becoming trashy and absurd itself.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I'm going to buy it again on PC, but if you haven't played it yet when now is your chance to experience one of the finest examples of Japanese adventure games (I wouldn't call it visual novel). Minor gripes I have with both games are predictability of some twists and cases, trial mini-games and unnecessary fanservice here and there.
ParaSitius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
The first VN I actually attempted on my Vita and even managed to complete it, was an enjoyable game though as our reviewer mentions some of the mechanics get a bit tedious quickly.

Can't say I ever had any issues with collecting coins though, had more then enough from a single play through to buy all the items. Maybe our reviewer didn't know about the hidden coins that can be found in each location?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
ParaSitius wrote:
The first VN I actually attempted on my Vita and even managed to complete it, was an enjoyable game though as our reviewer mentions some of the mechanics get a bit tedious quickly.

Can't say I ever had any issues with collecting coins though, had more then enough from a single play through to buy all the items. Maybe our reviewer didn't know about the hidden coins that can be found in each location?

You must have gotten insanely lucky then! (I knew about the hidden location coins, which is why I mentioned befriending Celeste early, which triples the revenue gotten from those spots.) I got a bunch of repeats even after I started pouring more coins into the machine to better my odds. But even if you bought all the gachapon with the coins from one playthrough, it'd be impossible to buy all the gallery items, which was my main point. So many CGs, movies, music, and production art. Anime dazed
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I really hope that they release the sequel to steam because that game is much better imo

The characters are far better, the mysteries are much stronger, and the overarching plot is much more sensical and powerful.
Blightstrider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I really hope that they release the sequel to steam because that game is much better imo

The characters are far better, the mysteries are much stronger, and the overarching plot is much more sensical and powerful.

They already confirmed in a article with Siliconera that the second installment is on its way.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Having being introduced to this game through orenronen's LP of it on the Something Awful forums a bunch of years back, when it had close to zero English language awareness, and he basically was translating it on the fly while LP'ing it in screenshot form, and loving it back then, along with all the banter in thread as goons speculated as to what would happen next and trying to work out who killed who (plus that really off the wall preliminary conspiracy guess way back in the intro chapter that eventually got turned into a meme and really came back when it turned out to be true).

I really now have no excuse not to buy this game on Steam. I dunno, it was probably his LP and then it's spread through tumblr (and all the resultant drama that brought with tumblrites invading the SA forums just to read that one LP, and complaining when the paywall went up, plus the regulars in the thread basically flaming all of them when they stepped out of line with regards to board culture and the like, creating a ton of work for slowbeef as LP mod) which built the fanbase which convinced Spike Chunsoft to bring this over to the US in the first place. But then, I didn't have a Vita, so I couldn't play it myself when it was first brought over.

Probably have to get used to some of the official translation choices over his (I really like his use of SHSL better than Ultimate, and some of the title choices and use of nicknames felt jarring after being so used to the ones used in the LP, plus the whole Monokuma vs Monobear thing).

But now that I'm pretty flush with Chinese New Year money, I guess I really should spend it on something.

Last edited by GhostStalkerSA on Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
While I did enjoy the game to a degree. I found the actual progression of solving the murders odd. It's hard to describe, but because of circumstances happening to the characters aren't completely revealed or foreshadowed you're left trying the piece together something incomplete. When some twists come around they feel shrug worthy.

I found Monokuma to be highly annoying rather than evil-likable. As well, some of the over top antics from the murders didn't quiet work for me.

I did enjoy the twist at the end though.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
While I did enjoy the game to a degree. I found the actual progression of solving the murders odd. It's hard to describe, but because of circumstances happening to the characters aren't completely revealed or foreshadowed you're left trying the piece together something incomplete. When some twists come around they feel shrug worthy.

I found Monokuma to be highly annoying rather than evil-likable. As well, some of the over top antics from the murders didn't quiet work for me.

I did enjoy the twist at the end though.

The second game actually does solve that problem to a larger extent, because that actually was a serious problem in the first game I think.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
Is the first case intentionally super obvious? I'm not sure if it's just because I have played so much Ace Attorney but the second I saw a certain clue, I instantly knew who the killer was. It was a similar problem I have with Ace Attorney where you already know the answer but the game makes you leap through all these hoops to get there. I am really enjoying it though & look forward to the other chapters.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:36 am Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Is the first case intentionally super obvious? I'm not sure if it's just because I have played so much Ace Attorney but the second I saw a certain clue, I instantly knew who the killer was. It was a similar problem I have with Ace Attorney where you already know the answer but the game makes you leap through all these hoops to get there. I am really enjoying it though & look forward to the other chapters.
It's not particularly difficult, no, though I'd think that if you've played a lot of Ace Attorney that you'd be used to the first case being straightforward. I thought the third chapter was the most interesting of the first game's cases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1