• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Strawberry Marshmallow OVAs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
This is fantastic news! Though my concerns are if they will dub it or not. The tv series will use the pre-existing (and fantastic imo) dub so I hope they'll be able to get back the original cast and dub these 3 ovas, but not sure how hard that will be. Hopefully it's included with the tv series sets but I'm sure it'll get a separate release and if that's the case even more I hope for a dub as I'll have to pass otherwise, can't go from the great dub to subs afterwards.

Either way it's nice to see that they are picked up, hopefully it ends up being dubbed as well!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I've wanted to own the Strawberry Marshmallow OVAs for years but I never thought it would happen without me having to import them, not almost a decade after Geneon's release of the TV series which supposedly sold really poorly (although I have all three disks and bought the complete set for a friend too).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
now if Sentai could just license the ToLoveRu OVAs...
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Have to assume they'll be sub-only, but kudos to Sentai anyway for going the extra mile.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Has Sentai really confirmed they licensed Encore? I didn't see any specific mention of it in the press release.

DuchessBianca wrote:
Though my concerns are if they will dub it or not. The tv series will use the pre-existing (and fantastic imo) dub so I hope they'll be able to get back the original cast and dub these 3 ovas, but not sure how hard that will be.

Though I love the dub of the TV series (probably one of the best of Blue Water dubs), I think this is too much of a niche title for it to be likely to get a dub continuation. Even if they did... Blue Water used some young VA's in the cast. There voices may have changed, and I'm not entirely sure if they're still active in VA'ing either. Would be nice if they could try, but unfortunately I don't see it happening.

DuchessBianca wrote:
Hopefully it's included with the tv series sets but I'm sure it'll get a separate release and if that's the case even more I hope for a dub as I'll have to pass otherwise, can't go from the great dub to subs afterwards.

It will be a separate release because the TV series is already set to come out in May.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh, the TV series is getting a re-release? I must have missed that announcement.

I wouldn't re-buy it on DVD but I'd re-buy it on Blu-Ray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

It is being released on Blu-ray.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
^ Good to know, thank you for the link.

=====

One thing I really liked about the first Strawberry Marshmallow OVA series was that, while Kyuta Sakai returned as character designer, he (?) seemingly subtly aged the characters a little, so that Miu and Chika look more like young teenagers than the older tweens they were on the TV series. It's especially noticeable with their eyes, which look a little smaller on their faces due to their skulls having grown a little.

The weird thing is, with the 2009 Encore OVA series, the character designs not only made Miu and Chika look like they regressed in age, they somehow look younger than they did on the TV series. I've always suspected that manga creator Barasui objected to the "older" character designs in the first OVA series, but, obviously, that's just idle speculation on my part, I don't have a shred of evidence to back this up.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Thank you heavens! It seems like forever since I've been able to view content of SM that I haven't seen. I mean, it would be nice if the manga was licensed again but geez is it published in Japan at a slow pace. Really great stuff.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote
^ I wish someone would print the remaining two volumes of Strawberry Marshmallow in English as well, but, while my French is embarrassingly mediocre for someone who grew up in the province of Quebec, I can still read French quite well and, as such, I bought volumes 6 and 7 in French published by Kurokawa under the title "Les Petites Fraises".

It's not the same as getting it in English, but it's better than nothing (and the quality of the Kurokawa editions is really nice; it comes with slipcovers and the paper's whiter than the old Tokyopop versions).

I know the Ichigo Mashimaro manga is published in other European (and non-European) languages as well, but I'm only familiar with the English and French versions.

I would buy both of the non-English-translated volumes again in a heartbeat if they were published in English.
lumcolette2006

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
now if Sentai could just license the ToLoveRu OVAs...

Lets just hope it happens very soon ^^ It would be awesome to have the OVAs in my anime DVD/blu-ray collection since I recently bought the first two seasons of To-Love Ru from them ^^
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:42 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

It is being released on Blu-ray.
Though the Blu-Rays are reportedly upscales; I wouldn't rush out to buy them if you're satisfied with the DVDs.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
Oh wow! This is great news!!! I own the old Geneon release. I didn't know about the OVAs. Now I definitely gotta own this. Oh man this series is so much fun. Also really glad that the TV series was rescued as well. Surprised Surprised Surprised

May have to put this on the list of recommendations for the students. I think they can appreciate this.
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Has Sentai really confirmed they licensed Encore? I didn't see any specific mention of it in the press release.

Yes, Sentai confirmed with ANN that Encore is included.
stevek504

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I agree this is great news! I also loved the dub of the TV series and would wish that the OVAs would have the same dub cast - but it looks like the cast is no longer active in anime.

Still, I will wish for a dub (with whoever they get as the VAs) and be happy if it is just a sub release at the end of the day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2