• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime characters for Political Agenda without consent?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VerneJules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote
As the title says, I want to know your thoughts on the use of anime characters for Political Agenda. We all know we've practically made use of anime for memes and jokes all for fun and I also don't think there's anything wrong with that.

But I feel like I myself am offended when these characters are used by politicians or their supporters for campaigns.

Here's where I'm coming from:

I'm a Filipino and we have a presidential candidate (Duterte) whose supporters are unstoppable in spreading massive propaganda in the Internet (some examples would be photoshopping or falsely quoting Hollywood stars, foreign and local celebrities, even a prime minister that they supposedly support the candidate).

Whether or not I like the candidate himself is for me not the issue but rather his supporters' use of anime characters (for this topic) for political agenda. I know we use these characters for memes, fanfictions, and doujinshi; and while some people get profit from these, I know our main goal is to share and express our feelings about the anime/manga we love.

Sometimes I just want the creators to take legal actions against them.

Here are some examples:

[/url]

So what are your thoughts? Do you think the use of the characters for political purposes is part of our freedom and there's nothing wrong with it?

[EDIT: Made the title a little less long-winded. -TK]
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Since you're in the Philippines, you may want to consider posting your question here. I wish you luck in getting a conversation started.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1