• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Princess Knight, Kimba the White Lion Composer Isao Tomita Passes Away

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
My sincere thanks to Mr. Tomita-san for his beautiful works. R.I.P. Sad
grooven

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:11 am Reply with quote
This is such sad news. I really, really adored all of his music from Jungle Taitei, so inspiring and memorable. May he rest in peace.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote
Very unfortunate to hear. Thank you for having an impact on our child/adulthood.

RIP
horseradish

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:24 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed his music in Gulliver no Uchū Ryokō along with the Tezuka and Mushi Pro works I've seen so far as well. Rest in peace and thank you for all the hard work over so many decades.

Last edited by horseradish on Mon May 04, 2020 4:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:30 am Reply with quote
Oh Noooo... T-T Rest in Peace Mr. Tomita. I was really looking forward to his next
Miku collaboration, Dr. Coppelius.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
Tomita-san was also a major influence for Hideki Matsutake, the "fourth member" of Yellow Magic Orchestra seen in this clip of Rydeen (which has appeared in anime as diverse as Only Yesterday and Sound! Euphonium) in front of a wall of synthesizers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdalyjjfVxY

Sound! Euphonium version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5jyEphbGo4

A musician with far reaching influence.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:45 am Reply with quote
I just saw this reported on NHK World's Newline and I was shocked and saddened to hear it. One of the world's pioneers in electronic synthesised music I remember hearing his sythed version of "Clair De Lune" and I have in my old vinyl collection his 1974 LP "Snow Flakes Are Dancing" which was introduced to me by my old University radio club. I loved his style of Moog compositions different at the time to those of Rick Wakman of "Yes" and Keith Emerson of Emerson Lake And Palmer. I forgot all about him until he appeared on Hatsune Miku's Facebook page for his latest orchestrated operatic composition using the vocaloid as singer for his songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsFUNkgKtUI
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
He may be best known among non-anime fans for his rendition of "Arabesque No.1", which was used as the theme to the long running PBS series Jack Horkheimer: Star Hustler, which Jack hosted until he passed on several years ago. The show is now known today as "Star Gazers", but hasn't used the original theme since the current hosts took over.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I knew him best for THE TOMITA PLANETS, a quirky synthesizer-only rendition of Holst's classic suite interspersed with actual "spaceship" sound effects, giving the listener the feeling of being on an actual space voyage. He'll be missed.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
He composed the music of the very first anime I ever saw: one of the Jungle Taitei movies.
I will forever be grateful to him, since I remember loving anything of it, score included. R.I.P. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1