• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Aiming for 3D Animation of Its Characters to Enter Film Business

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamer Goku

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
This sounds interesting... I would totally see a Legend of Zelda movie! Very Happy
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in how Nintendo will handle their fare in their venture of the movie industry. I could see myself enjoying a Super Mario film (if well-made).

If I correctly recall, from what I've seen, the reception Pixels has gotten wasn't all that favorable...
matt78

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
It would never happen but I would love a Pixar produced Mario movie. I think they are smart to use animation instead of giving live action another go.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
As long as the 3D looks more like the games they make, it could have a good appeal and get people to buy their hardware to play the games. Hope 2D isn't off the table, as there could be potential there.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
If I correctly recall, from what I've seen, the reception Pixels has gotten wasn't all that favorable...

Yeah, but given the people involved, it's not surprising.

In terms of other recent video game adaptations/homages, Wreck-it-Ralph was solid, Ratchet and Clank was okay, and the new trailer for the Assassin's Creed movie makes it look promising.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Series that would be great to see:

* Mario (I would like to see kind of an origin story, like the first journey that Mario and Luigi took to free Peach).
* Zelda (While I love Skyward Sword, my personal desire would be to have a movie that centers around the origins of Skyloft, as I didn't feel that was touched on enough).
* Metroid (This would make a great live-action movie, as long as they swap the Other M writers with someone like Ridley Scott).
* Kirby (I just love this series, and it's plenty charmful for the younger animated audiences)
* Pokémon (If I made one, I would have it feature all of the playable characters joining forces to face a common threat, and NO Ash Ketchum)
* Star Fox (No idea what the story would be, but this is necessary to keep the franchise going after Zero crashed and burned)
* Fire Emblem (Would be nice to have all the continents featured, plus the writing and acting is pretty good as it is - also could be live-action)
* Kid Icarus (Uprising showed a whole new side to the series that is pretty much movie gold; also, anything to keep the series going)
* Xenoblade Chronicles (Original would make a VERY good anime personally)
* Sonic the Hedgehog (Oh wait, it's not Nintendo - and they're making one - that's a live-action/CGI hybrid - DAMMIT!... It should just be CGI)

Overall, as Shia LaBe- I mean, Nike once said, just do it!
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Please don't do this, Nintendo. We didn't need a Ratchet & Clank movie, we don't need an Angry Birds movie, and we don't need a Zelda or Mario movie. They are meant to be games, and they should stay that way.

I guess I'm ok with Pokemon having movies, but that's because those character are allowed to speak. Also, I'd be a little late to the party, there's already 18 (19 if you count the two Victini movies as separate and not 14A and 14B), and another one on the way. And there's a ton of episodes too. Also, Ash and Red aren't the same character anyway, so Red has really only been in the Origin special.

But Mario and Link? They're not meant to have full voices, just sound clips and such. And they're meant to be video game characters, I'm not sure how making a movie would help. I wouldn't mind some internet shorts (like Link breaking a ton of pots and getting in trouble or something), but a full movie just sounds like the worst idea since the Super Mario Bros movie.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Please don't do this, Nintendo. We didn't need a Ratchet & Clank movie, we don't need an Angry Birds movie, and we don't need a Zelda or Mario movie. They are meant to be games, and they should stay that way.

I guess I'm ok with Pokemon having movies, but that's because those character are allowed to speak. Also, I'd be a little late to the party, there's already 18 (19 if you count the two Victini movies as separate and not 14A and 14B), and another one on the way. And there's a ton of episodes too. Also, Ash and Red aren't the same character anyway, so Red has really only been in the Origin special.

But Mario and Link? They're not meant to have full voices, just sound clips and such. And they're meant to be video game characters, I'm not sure how making a movie would help. I wouldn't mind some internet shorts (like Link breaking a ton of pots and getting in trouble or something), but a full movie just sounds like the worst idea since the Super Mario Bros movie.

I don't see the need to be so apprehensive. Mario, Zelda, and Metroid have all had a ton of manga series which were enjoyable and would work perfectly fine as an anime. Kirby, F-Zero, and Pokemon already have anime adaptions that were well recieved, with Pocket Monsters XY&Z going on strong. The reason video game movies are awful is because more often than not they are live action and dumbed down because they are aiming for the normie crowd to see Hitman or Warcraft and they would never make an animated movie because it would be seen as kiddy, despite the fact cartoony graphics was what made World of Warcraft stand out from its competition and keep it from aging too terribly. Since animation is a viable medium in Japan, animated adaptions of video games are quite frequent. Not even counting VN adaptions we get stuff like Yokai Watch, Hero Bank, and Danball Senki which were all solid series and help to promote their respective video game series.

-Stuart Smith
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:07 am Reply with quote
Metroid and Zelda could work as big-budget live-action films if done right. Donkey Kong could work in CG. Mario on the other hand is a REALLY difficult character to get right outside video games. It always sounds weird to give him dialogue outside his usual catch-phrases.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Donkey Kong could work in CG.

In fact, there was a computer-graphic TV show of Donkey Kong Country that aired on Fox years ago.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to include the link. Embarassed

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Mon May 16, 2016 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
^ I haven't seen that, but I've heard about it. Nothing good though.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:45 am Reply with quote
Why not 2D?
Francesco Vitiello

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:02 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Mario and Link? They're not meant to have full voices, just sound clips and such.

Even thought he does it rarely Mario talks : https://youtu.be/G8sYvNtjXRI

Even Link talks,but only the other characters hear him.The player always see dots in the dialogue box or types/selects Link's answer(In Skyward Sword there's a cutscene where Link is talking to Groose but the camera was far away so it was impossibile to hear him).

Also both Mario and Link talked in movies(The Mission to save Princess Peach and The Sage of Darkness) and it was done really well(Link still did his usual screams).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I'm interested in how Nintendo will handle their fare in their venture of the movie industry. I could see myself enjoying a Super Mario film (if well-made).

But Wreck-It Ralph was. Judging by the lack of merchandise compared to Disney's surrounding movies, it seems to have been a surprise to the people at Disney too.

As for how Nintendo would do in the movie business, they'll have a tough road ahead of them. Nintendo is a game company, and that's what Nintendo's people know how to do. They won't be a match for people who have been making movies their entire lives. If Nintendo wants to succeed, they have to bring in people experienced and knowledgeable on movies.

Stuart Smith wrote:
The reason video game movies are awful is because more often than not they are live action and dumbed down because they are aiming for the normie crowd to see Hitman or Warcraft and they would never make an animated movie because it would be seen as kiddy, despite the fact cartoony graphics was what made World of Warcraft stand out from its competition and keep it from aging too terribly. Since animation is a viable medium in Japan, animated adaptions of video games are quite frequent. Not even counting VN adaptions we get stuff like Yokai Watch, Hero Bank, and Danball Senki which were all solid series and help to promote their respective video game series.

-Stuart Smith

I would argue that the reason most video game movies are bad is because Hollywood is at odds with the video game business, at least until recently. If it isn't staffed by people with a poor understanding of the games, then it's supervised by executives who have no respect for them. The "normie crowd" rejects these video game adaptations too.

Hollywood adaptations of comic books only recently started to gain respect, and that's because the well-received ones are made by people who grew up on them, continue to read them, and continue to be fans of them. For a video game adaptation of a movie to be good, you need someone who's both a fan of video games and someone who knows enough about narratology to make something compelling, which is currently rare in Hollywood and almost non-existent in the past.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Why not 2D?

They sound like they're aiming to compete with Hollywood. Except for The Simpsons Movie, every 2-D animated film in the United States after Lilo & Stitch has either been a box office disaster or was absolutely crushed in viewership by a 3-D animated film (or live-action/CGI hybrid) released close to it.

The conclusion most executives in Hollywood have is that children are no longer interested in seeing 2-D animation on the big screen. (John Lasseter is the only holdout advocating 2-D animation I can think of.) In a way, they are right. 3-D CGI is a lot flashier and more attractive to a child. Movies are a source of spectacle, and 3-D CGI can provide that in a way 2-D cannot or is very hard to execute.

(That being said, The Peanuts Movie was a success too and was a 2-D/3-D hybrid.)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

* Pokémon (If I made one, I would have it feature all of the playable characters joining forces to face a common threat, and NO Ash Ketchum)

Pokemon Avengers?......no thanks

Gemnist wrote:

* Star Fox (No idea what the story would be, but this is necessary to keep the franchise going after Zero crashed and burned)

Making a movie wouldn't really help the series especially if the movie suffers the same fate every game that's dropped since 64 suffered.

Gemnist wrote:
* Fire Emblem (Would be nice to have all the continents featured, )

Which would be problematic due to the fact that the various Emblem games take place across various timelines and even different universes

Gemnist wrote:

* Kid Icarus (Uprising showed a whole new side to the series that is pretty much movie gold; also, anything to keep the series going)

Yeah fourth wall breaking, & obscure pop culture and nintendo related references wouldn't exactly work within the context of a movie.

Gemnist wrote:

* Sonic the Hedgehog (Oh wait, it's not Nintendo - and they're making one - that's a live-action/CGI hybrid - DAMMIT!... It should just be CGI)

Be pretty redundant in light of the games and Sonic Boom effectively being CG themselves.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:

He said "could work" the DKC animated series was awful in every which way but loose.

classicalzawa wrote:

You do know that there are people who don't or have never played any of these video games right and these movies and what not are just another way to familiarize people with these brands?

Also Mario and Link having actual speaking lines is fine not everybody is big on the whole "heroic mime" or "gibberish talk" trope that games still use in this day and age for no reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2