• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AKB48 Idols Star in Japan/U.S. Hulu Horror Show From Saw II Director

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Sounds pretty interesting although I'm not a big fan of the Horror genre I suppose that I could give this show a try. Smile
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Aw man, I'd give it a try if I had Hulu Plus.
I'm really liking the international school setting, and the mix of American and Japanese elements. Very inclusive.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to get my bratty opinion out of the way by saying that this sounds like it would be better as just one film.

But still, this will probably be super fun and I'm ready for a return to the awesome mid-2000s j-horror.
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
If you check out this link, you can see the official trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHyfOIYquho
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:49 am Reply with quote
I'm totally ecstatic that Japanese and American themes of horror are being mixed for this film; it should make for an unique watch. Smile
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:

Same, I've recently gotten interested in horror and this looks like it could potentially be pretty col, but I'm not buying a subscription just for that...

Could always wait til it's complete and do a free trial I suppose Laughing
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I'm totally ecstatic that Japanese and American themes of horror are being mixed for this film; it should make for an unique watch. Smile

From the description, I was worried it was a US director trying to homage 00's cellphone-ghost "Hair-horror"--
But no, with the schoolgirls, operating tables and yuri creepy-girls, looks like it's a Saw director trying to homage Elfen Lied, just like Eli Roth built his career on trying to homage Audition.

It would be nice if we had a generation of horror filmmakers who could make their OWN movies, like we had in the 70's and 80's before Geek Fandom became a thing.

Mew Berry wrote:
Fenrin wrote:

Same, I've recently gotten interested in horror and this looks like it could potentially be pretty col, but I'm not buying a subscription just for that...

I DON'T buy subscriptions for "Original Programming". Back when Netflix had actual movies, I used to watch it to get away from Original Programming on cable.
As long as Adam Sandler keeps making movies for Netflix, it reminds us that Original Subscription Programming on Netflix, Hulu and Amazon means "Nobody else wanted it".

I buy subscriptions for their library, and if there's any reason to get HuluPlus, it's TWO reasons:
1) The complete Criterion collection (sort of an Online-University Film School), and
2) Possibly the biggest treasure-trove of 70's-80's network Classic-TV reruns on the net, even bigger than Netflix's.
Sit down with a 70's Columbo or Bob Newhart, or an 80's A-Team or Cheers, and realize what television lost when we all started binge-watching Game of Thrones. Sad
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:31 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

But no, with the schoolgirls, operating tables and yuri creepy-girls, looks like it's a Saw director trying to homage Elfen Lied, just like Eli Roth built his career on trying to homage Audition.

Doesn't matter - they still can't act Razz

EricJ2 wrote:

2) Possibly the biggest treasure-trove of 70's-80's network Classic-TV reruns on the net, even bigger than Netflix's.
Sit down with a 70's Columbo or Bob Newhart, or an 80's A-Team or Cheers, and realize what television lost when we all started binge-watching Game of Thrones. Sad

People used to complain that US TV is episodic while anime is serial
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

People used to complain that US TV is episodic while anime is serial

Yeah, they used to, back when US TV actually WAS episodic, and could be consumed in a single evening per week. (While anime was based on manga series, and comic books were expected to be serial.)
Until it became a symbiotic factor that networks' attempts to follow "24" gave us season arcs, following season arcs gave us Binge-watching, and Binge-watching created the state that every single new non-sitcom show on network television is a self-contained season-long serial arc to get you to watch the next episode (like the drug dealer who wants you as a regular customer), how many are still complaining about old-school episodic TV?
And how many are binge-watching four episodes at a stretch, so they won't feel peer-pressure about not catching up with the season finale?

(Netflix/Hulu programming is like cookies in a jar--
They're there, whenever you want one, but the fact that they're now in reach, and that you're a grownup now and can get a cookie whenever you like without asking mommy, doesn't mean you're obligated to sit in a corner and scarf the whole jar between occasional emergency gulps of milk...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1