• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Onna no Yūjō to Kinniku Manga Mixes Women's Friendship and Muscles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Why ANN, why? For years you have neglected to post anything in your front page about muscular females in manga or anime, but when you finally decide to post something, it had to be about the usual female with a big jaw and characteristically unattractive face. This only helps enforce a negative stereotype that brainwashes people into thinking "females become ugly if they lift weights (they should be thin and feeble like Barbie™)". This stereotype is not new, as can be seen in HunterxHunter or Project A-ko

There are quite a few mangas out there that portray muscular and beautiful females (besides Mikasa Ackerman from AoT, Michelle K. Davis from Terra Formars or Yukina from Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress), how about giving them some exposure?

Last edited by mangamuscle on Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
And suddenly I'm reminded of all the she-man's of Project A-Ko, Go Nagai and Magical Witch Punie.

Well, it's not like there is some truth to this to women who lift weight and roid. But...that's another story. They just don't look like these folks.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
For years you have neglected to post anything if your front page about muscular females in manga or anime...

You got me; I can't tell if this is a gag.
Drunk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Someone has to translate this manga ASAP.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
And suddenly I'm reminded of all the she-man's of Project A-Ko.

And I'm suddenly reminded of Arnold Schwarzenegger's character in Junor. Confused
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Why ANN, why?

Why ANN? Isn't the whole point that it's the Japanese view of "unfeminine" muscle-building, in a more traditionally sexist country where even having a career over marriage is "unfeminine"?
Even in competition, Japanese FBB's tend to be a bit lighter-weight due to Asian biology, but even that is treated like She-Hulk by cultural comparison.

Chrno2 wrote:
And suddenly I'm reminded of all the she-man's of Project A-Ko, Go Nagai and Magical Witch Punie.

And the over-pumped villainesses who showed up in Trigun and Dirty Pair.

Project A-Ko's Mari was more just a deliberate pop-ref Fist of the North Star joke (and even more so in the sequel), and the Captain and D were just desperately unconvincing transvestites...Always have to have one or two in any all-female army, it's a rule of sci-fi gag comedy.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Why ANN? Isn't the whole point that it's the Japanese view of "unfeminine" muscle-building, in a more traditionally sexist country where even having a career over marriage is "unfeminine"?

If said article was posted in some other site about the appreciation of genral japanese culture (rocketnews24 or similar) I would had agreed with you. But this is anime news network, where it has been established long ago that nowadays anime is but a subculture mostly unknown to mainstream japan (you probably known more about this season shows than 99% of native japanese) so this site makes no attempt to mostly cover mainstream topics. Now, if you are going to tell me that the anime otaku culture has no interest in beautiful, big, curvy, muscular females; well I think there is more interest in those than in the ugly females portrayed in the manga this articles talks about. As proof, just get a pixiv account and click on these links: 筋肉娘 & 腹筋

Quote:
Even in competition, Japanese FBB's tend to be a bit lighter-weight due to Asian biology, but even that is treated like She-Hulk by cultural comparison.

Such a delicious fallacy. Again, this site covers anime (and manga) news and you come crashing the party talking about reality? God gracious. most japanese women do not have big eyes and/or boobs in their bodies yet if you make an statistic using popular anime/manga series you might come to think they use cup C on average. So having washboard abs, baseball sized biceps and V shaped backs in a drawing does not have to be a representative of the japanese physique.

Chrno2 wrote:
And the over-pumped villainesses who showed up in Trigun and Dirty Pair.

I am sure that Milly Thompson was also pumped up (you can't use a gun like hers with a frail frame), but no doubt her cloths covered her body at all times because she was a good girl Anime hyper
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
This manga is indeed peculiar, but I also find it to be interesting. Rarely, if ever, would one find an athlete in Japan that's of the bulky type; however, in the U.S., it's a usual sight.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
This. . . is amazing! I love that they're treated so sweet and lovingly too! I want to read this so bad! x'D
I really hope this booms. ♥
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1