• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans Anime Premieres Tonight on Toonami

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
It'll be great to see Gundam back on Toonami again. I mean, until the show stops airing because of low ratings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Considering Nagai/Okada are the main headliners of this, are some of their signature aspects like solid character drama and relationships and strong females present like how it was in Toradora, AnoHana, and Anthem of the Heart? Or is it somewhat different in order to fit the Gundam mold?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Considering Nagai/Okada are the main headliners of this, are some of their signature aspects like solid character drama and relationships and strong females present like how it was in Toradora, AnoHana, and Anthem of the Heart? Or is it somewhat different in order to fit the Gundam mold?

It's pretty much as you described. It's kind of low key as a Gundam show. There's something at stake, to be sure, but it definitely feels more personal than a lot of Gundam titles, especially for an AU. Emphasis is definitely placed on relationships.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
This show better be good. I'm not much of a Gundam fan, but I'm willing to watch this.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Time to raise your flag Toonami faithful.

RAISE YOUR FLAG!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Opposite a UFC and the Copa Podido. Smooth Toonami.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It'll be great to see Gundam back on Toonami again. I mean, until the show stops airing because of low ratings.

The real test will be episodes 9-13 which is where pacing of the series really grinded to a halt before picking up again. If the show can get past that segment without the ratings tanking then it should be in the clear.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
As a direct dub from Sunrise, it sounds really good. Kyle and Johnny are great - actually, great doesn't quite define Johnny.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Time to raise your flag Toonami faithful.

RAISE YOUR FLAG!

Gonna just assume no one watching Toonami will get this because tehy usually cut out opening themes lol.

Anime was awesome
dark13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I look foreword to this show getting nice high ratings in the west will put a lot of the haters to rest Laughing
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I hope it does well. Me personally I watched it on Hulu when it came out every Monday.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
That Mikazuki dub, he now has clearly more emotion in the performance than the original though for better or worst time will only tell.
dark13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I hope it does well. Me personally I watched it on Hulu when it came out every Monday.
I Have this feeling the show will do well in the west, since japan has this view point that Gundam should be Michael bay movies, but thats not how Gundam works ( at least thats what everyone in Gundam forum say http://www.gundamforums.com/showthread.php/46343-Gundam-Iron-Blooded-Orphans/page38) IBO follows the same style of drama any Gundam anime has been known to have, its not a mindless shonen action, when there is battles there is meaning behind them and thats why I come to love this one particular Gundam anime, its not perfect but it clicks with me Smile and I was one of the people who had low expectation when I heard Mari Okada was working on it ( but she proved me wrong )

Last edited by dark13 on Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I almost forgot it was airing tonight (rather embarrassing considering how I got the date from one of the cast members at ACen).

Anyway, things look to be off to a good start with the cast. As usual in the first episode they're just getting into the characters but considering the talent involved they should have no trouble as the series goes on. I really look forward to hearing Naze and the other Turbines
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I was kinda hoping Orga was the top MC. But it looks like that honor goes to Mika, who is, like most generic anime boys, short, plain looking and the one the girl heads to first because he's shorter when her and seemingly the same age.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4