• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Favorite Song - The Silver Siren

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:20 am Reply with quote
When you talk about this series and female oriented novels not getting finished in English, Twelve Kingdoms is one of the first to come to mind. It was one of the first novels brought over in English, but it didn't get finished in large part due to Tokyopop closing. Sure would be nice to see it brought back out and finished in English.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't know about this!

I'll buy it online if it's available. If it's online., even better! We need more female oriented light novels translated.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
When you talk about this series and female oriented novels not getting finished in English, Twelve Kingdoms is one of the first to come to mind. It was one of the first novels brought over in English, but it didn't get finished in large part due to Tokyopop closing. Sure would be nice to see it brought back out and finished in English.

I think the difference is that Twelve Kingdoms are regular novels as opposed to light novels. I definitely agree, though. The story is excellent, and I would give quite a lot to have the series rereleased in English in its entirety.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
Of course what constitutes a female-oriented novel can be a bit nebulous. Durarara isn't remotely shoujo, but it definitely attracts a certain segment of the female audience. And romance series like Toradora, Sayonara Piano Sonata and Shinonome Yuuko Likes Short Stories would be considered female-oriented by default in the US even though their audience in Japan is guys.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:
I think the difference is that Twelve Kingdoms are regular novels as opposed to light novels. I definitely agree, though. The story is excellent, and I would give quite a lot to have the series rereleased in English in its entirety.
especially given it was announced a while back the author was finally getting back to the series and writing a new novel for the series. because while it never got an official print release of all the books written so far in English there's fantranslations of all of them at least (and I think it's safe to say some of those fantranslations are a little superior to the official English translation).

and let me tell you, if you haven't read the 6th one, it ends at THE MOST frustrating spot to end on. literally only one issue with the whole Tai kingdom problem gets fixed, but a few more just as serious ones get added on top of all the problems remaining. back when it looked like no more books for it may ever be written it was so frustrating I almost wished I skipped reading it. (if you want a very clear idea how frustrating the ending was I literally almost tossed the ipod touch I was reading it on into the wall when I finished it and realized how long the hiatus for the novels was and there was no sign at that point of the author ever coming back to it.)
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

They also didn't complete The Good Witch of the West (novels or manga), which was another really good female-oriented title. Luckily Cross Infinite World is also going to be releasing a second series this fall, The Violet Knight, so at least we're starting to see a bit of a comeback for this demographic.

phoenixalia wrote:
I'll buy it online if it's available. If it's online., even better! We need more female oriented light novels translated.

I got mine on Kindle at Amazon. I think you can get it for all of the e-readers. Very Happy
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
John Thacker wrote:

They also didn't complete The Good Witch of the West (novels or manga), which was another really good female-oriented title. Luckily Cross Infinite World is also going to be releasing a second series this fall, The Violet Knight, so at least we're starting to see a bit of a comeback for this demographic.

phoenixalia wrote:

I got mine on Kindle at Amazon. I think you can get it for all of the e-readers. Very Happy

Oh wow, it's on kindle? Oh wow, now I HAVE to get it. I'll support female oriented light novels (the reverse harem/shoujo romance kind) any time! Thanks for the info!
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Is this digital only or are there dead tree versions too?
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

This review reminded me more of Scrapped Princess, both in terms of being a light novel series that never got a full English release (not sure if its considered Shojo, though) & in terms of the main character being considered a villain (or at least the cause of destruction) in her world.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:

Sadly this is digital only. Crying or Very sad
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
st_owly wrote:

Sadly this is digital only. Crying or Very sad

Oh well Sad might or might not get it at some point. Hopefully it gets released in print at some point.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Just looked on Amazon.co.jp, and am I right in saying that this got an English release without having even gotten a light novel release in Japan? Wow. And this is a way obscure one too; it's not on SnN's all-time top 300 or even listed on Novel Updates.

I can't find anything about The Violet Knight, the other series Cross Infinite World has licensed, that isn't from their own announcement. Is it the same deal -- no light novel release? I guess that'd make for a cheaper license.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Both are originally web novels released for free on ncode shousetsu.
It looks like they commissioned original illustrations from Japanese artists for the release.
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Interest piqued! I never heard of this before, but I have been very annoyed lately at the lack of interest and attention put into lite novels for the female audience in the US. Not only is that we don't get them, but it seems like reviewers don't bother to talk about them, etc.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Of course what constitutes a female-oriented novel can be a bit nebulous. Durarara isn't remotely shoujo, but it definitely attracts a certain segment of the female audience. And romance series like Toradora, Sayonara Piano Sonata and Shinonome Yuuko Likes Short Stories would be considered female-oriented by default in the US even though their audience in Japan is guys.

This is only because romance as a genre is never geared at men specifically in the US, save for exceptions like Archie and stuff. (And I should say, nowadays.)

But the fact that in Japan, males do have romance geared at them means it is written as intended for men, and that goes down to the handling of characters, direction of the story, etc. It shows, and so something may be labeled female-oriented by default in the US (which actually happened a lot early in with TokyoPop and got effing annoying), people are wiser now and know better than not to throw romance automatically at women when it obviously isn't aimed remotely or mostly at them.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Both are originally web novels released for free on ncode shousetsu.

I thought that was clear from my post?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2