• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks to Release Aoharu x Machinegun Anime With English Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a pretty nice month.

Here's for hoping that we get the LOGH sets next month along with some news of the To Love OVA's in the future. One an dream Twisted Evil
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Are Sentai dubs good? The only ones I've heard are the ones for Ghost Hound, which was meh, and Log Horizon, which was poor(IMO).
CaRoss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
OwlBiceps wrote:
Are Sentai dubs good? The only ones I've heard are the ones for Ghost Hound, which was meh, and Log Horizon, which was poor(IMO).

Honestly, no. Sentai dubs have yet to reach the level of Funimation's (where they seem to have a much better ear for voices to fit the characters), Bang Zoom's or Ocean's from the previous anime boom.

They'll manage some great dubs from time to time, but, at least for me, they have yet to really prove themselves.

That said, I am glad that they're doing so many dubs this year. It'll provide a lot of the dub only watchers out there with content they would never have touched otherwise, which is always a good thing.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
OwlBiceps wrote:

There have been some better ones lately. Love, Chunibyo, and other Delusions, No Game No Life, Beyond the Boundary, and Monthly Girls Nozoki-kun all had pretty solid dubs IMHO.
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Sentai made some videos showcasing some of the new dubs for licences that they picked up last year(specifically NGNL and Kyoukai no Kanata) and they sounded pretty good, so maybe they're putting some work into making them better?
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Sentai made some videos showcasing some of the new dubs for licences that they picked up last year(specifically NGNL and Kyoukai no Kanata) and they sounded pretty good, so maybe they're putting some work into making them better?
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
OwlBiceps wrote:

Yeah they are slowly getting better, but like CaRoss said they have yet to reach the level of some of the other major companies. That being said, them doing more dubs means that they will improve as time passes.

Honestly I think they're main problem isn't their talent pool, it's they're directing. Sometimes they either do a near line for line dub that sounds really stilted and awkward (Girls Und Panzer immediately comes to mind) or they miscast horribly (Prisma Illya. Though really only Illya was the miscast, every one else sounded relatively fine.)

It helps that they got some ADV Vets to help them get acclimated.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to buying all 3 dubbed releases eventually, while it's far from my favorite I'm glad Sidonia S2 is getting the CE treatment so it can match the S1 CE! Anime smile For some reason I didn't expect Darkness 2nd so early so I'm excited and will be picking that up as well! Small release slate but understandable with the massive upcoming releases with Danmachi, Amagi Brilliant Park, Food Wars, Monster Musume, Umaru, Gate, and Ushio & Tora all getting dubbed and at least a few of them most likely getting the CE treatment Anime smile
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
It appears the Darkness 2 set may include the final 2 episodes that are absent from the streams on both TAN and CR, as the running time is listed as 350 minutes.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
Small release slate but understandable with the massive upcoming releases with Danmachi, Amagi Brilliant Park, Food Wars, Monster Musume, Umaru, Gate, and Ushio & Tora all getting dubbed and at least a few of them most likely getting the CE treatment Anime smile

My theory is that Sentai may continue releasing around 10 things (as opposed to their typical 15) per month for awhile as result of low license acquisitions for this year. Sentai still has enough unreleased anime to fill their monthly slates through 2017, but they are going to be in trouble if Crunchyroll keeps picking up more titles for disc release.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
My theory is that Sentai may continue releasing around 10 things (as opposed to their typical 15) per month for awhile as result of low license acquisitions for this year. Sentai still has enough unreleased anime to fill their monthly slates through 2017, but they are going to be in trouble if Crunchyroll keeps picking up more titles for disc release.

Yeah as much as I'm excited for Crunchy to finally do dubs/home video releases on a large scale it does have me really worried about Sentai in the long run. I feel like you said they are most likely going to focus on their currently licensed catalog and not be much in the new license department. Good thing about their upcoming releases and that many of them are VERY popular shows that should rake in a good deal of money so for this year and 2017 they should be perfectly fine and unaffected. 2018 and beyond is when things could be different. I don't know how well TAN does for Sentai but based on comments I've seen in certain places it doesn't seem to be going to well. I doub't Crunchy would do it as why would they but I really hope Sentai and Crunchy work out a deal to work with each other, unless I'm mistaken there have been no details on Crunchy's dub and home video release plans so for all we know they ARE partnering with Sentai but only time will tell but I don't see Crunchy doing that.

I think Sentai was trying to partner with Hulu but with the constant massive anime purges from Hulu it doesn't seem very reliable. Maybe a Netflix/Amazon partnership? Either way it will be very interesting to see how things in the future go but I really hope that something good happens as the last thing I want is for ADV 2.0 to go out of business yet again even though the chances of that are extremely slim to none.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
^ When Crunchyroll started getting big in 2012 it was assumed that they had a partnership with Sentai to license new shows. But after Sentai's newer shows started showing up in Hulu I concluded that it meant that the partnership with CR was pretty much done.

I don't see CR partnering with Sentai to do physical releases and dubs, but I could see Sentai partnering with Amazon or Netflix (Sentai did release Knights of Sidonia after all). To me the best strategy for Sentai would be to partner up with Japanese companies like Funimation and Crunchyroll have done. Companies like TBS, Genco and Showgate seem like logical partners for Sentai.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Can sentai please get a streaming site for the dubs that can come out? Like "TheAnimeNetwork" doesnt have all the shows and the new Tubi TV once again doesnt either. Like the guy above me said, it would be sooo much better if sentai paired up with netflix because theyd make a profit, and have more views for shows.I dont know how it would work tho but please do something about it. I cant get every box set obviously so a subscription service like funimation or crunchryoll, and aniplex (with all their shows going straight to netflix) would be worlddsss better.
Koda89

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:54 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
^ When Crunchyroll started getting big in 2012 it was assumed that they had a partnership with Sentai to license new shows. But after Sentai's newer shows started showing up in Hulu I concluded that it meant that the partnership with CR was pretty much done.

I don't see CR partnering with Sentai to do physical releases and dubs, but I could see Sentai partnering with Amazon or Netflix (Sentai did release Knights of Sidonia after all). To me the best strategy for Sentai would be to partner up with Japanese companies like Funimation and Crunchyroll have done. Companies like TBS, Genco and Showgate seem like logical partners for Sentai.

We also can't forget that the recent mini purge of titles from CR that no one knew was happening was mostly Sentai titles, seems like CR and Sentai couldn't reach an agreement when it came to the licenses. Sad
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
I can't believe they still won't give To Love Ru an English dub. What do we need to do to make that happen? Pressure Sentai into making one? Or waiting 'til the rights expire before being picked up by another dub company like Funimation or Aniplex? I really don't know what possibilities there are if there is any chance. Could we have a new English-dubbing company that's not so stubborn?

Please help me out here
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2