• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Survey: More U.S. Women Play Pokémon Go Than Men

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vision33r

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:26 am Reply with quote
I don't think the survey is accurate who is actually playing because I do know lots of females play casually but the hardcore players are guys. Who would actually go out and search for Pokemon in the middle of night.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:40 am Reply with quote
I expected the 18-29 age range to be the highest for obvious reasons.

Yeah, I'm sure the women are playing it more...casually...than the men. hehehe
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:59 am Reply with quote
There's a reason women aren't out as often late at night and it has nothing to do with how hardcore or how casual they are. Come on, really? Rolling Eyes

Beyond continuing to perpetuate the idea that there aren't a ton of women really hardcore into gaming (and into Pokemon), yes a lot of the hardcore players are women. And yes, there are a lot of relatively busy late night Pokego heavy areas that women do go to as long as they can find a group to go with. I go down to one specific area late night area that's very populated with Go players because of the dozens of Pokespots, the fact that it's very well lit, that there's a lot of people there, and that there's an excellent variety of Pokemon there, with a friend quite often, and there are a TON of women.

Do you ever look at the makeup of gyms? There are... a ton of women playing this game. Pokemon has always been a franchise that is extremely popular among girl gamers.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:02 am Reply with quote
Don't make the mistake and believe that mostly men play Pokémon just because of all these male youtubers. I think theres no dominant gender when it comes to this franchise and it's probably just a coincidence that a little more women ended up playing the game than men
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:02 am Reply with quote
TrueZangetsu wrote:
Don't make the mistake and believe that mostly men play Pokémon just because of all these male youtubers. I think theres no dominant gender when it comes to this franchise and it's probably just a coincidence that a little more women ended up playing the game than men

This isn't just a Pokemon game though, it's also a mobile game. And it's common knowledge women dominate the mobile market. Generally when people make some kind of claim about gaming being a male dominated field they're referring to console games.

Of course, any kind of chart that relies on a self polling survey is going to be unreliable just by the natures of surveys. Official data is always nice, but much more rare. This chart was made using a SurveyMonkey poll to be fair.

-Stuart Smith
Sloggett

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:51 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Do you ever look at the makeup of gyms? There are... a ton of women playing this game. Pokemon has always been a franchise that is extremely popular among girl gamers.

I wouldn't trust that they're all women. I know a few male friends of mine who chose the female character at the start. I wouldn't be surprised at all if many female gym trainers are actually dudes.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:16 am Reply with quote
Sloggett wrote:

I wouldn't trust that they're all women. I know a few male friends of mine who chose the female character at the start. I wouldn't be surprised at all if many female gym trainers are actually dudes.

I think that's reaching. Rolling Eyes

Especially considering how well established it is that many, many female gamers deliberately use male names and male avatars in multiplayer settings to avoid harassment in the gamer community (and there's no reason this wouldn't carry over to Go), which kind of negates the few dudes who might be playing as girls.

Why is it so hard for people to accept that a heck of a lot of girls play this game, possibly as many as boys, and a heck of a lot of them are 'hardcore'. The minute an article comes out that says there might be more girls, you all have to come in here and reestablish your dominance. Sorry there are girls in your sandbox. It was never yours in the first place. Take a deep breath and deal with it.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:06 am Reply with quote
Not really much of a surprise. Not only is Pokemon hugely popular with girls/women, mobile games seem to especially be a hit with women. (They're pretty fun so who wouldn't enjoy playing them?) I've been having a blast playing the game. I can't stop catching them all!

vision33r wrote:
I don't think the survey is accurate who is actually playing because I do know lots of females play casually but the hardcore players are guys. Who would actually go out and search for Pokemon in the middle of night.

Men are so friggin annoying with this. It's not a damn contest. What is the incentive with coming on a post talking about people enjoying a game only to try and "one-up" it with some BS claim that men are still the better "gamers". (Which is a laughably pathetic thing to wanna be better at. It's Pokemon for Christ's sake.) Women can be just as nerdy as men and just as hardcore into a game as men can. It's 2016, dude, we all know women can be super nerdy. Also, gee, I wonder why a woman wouldn't want to be running around at night by themselves. Get a clue.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:49 am Reply with quote
vision33r wrote:

This snobbery is simply irrelevant and uncalled for.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:00 am Reply with quote
vision33r wrote:

Yeah, unless you play Pokemon after dark you're a filthy casual. Rolling Eyes
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Why is it so hard for people to accept that a heck of a lot of girls play this game, possibly as many as boys, and a heck of a lot of them are 'hardcore'. The minute an article comes out that says there might be more girls, you all have to come in here and reestablish your dominance. Sorry there are girls in your sandbox. It was never yours in the first place. Take a deep breath and deal with it.

It's all about the cooties. If a guy plays a girls' game, the next thing you know, he'll be baking cookies and playing Barbie. Then one day he wakes up and thinks, "You know, Anita Sarkeesian makes some good points." After that, there's no cure. Very sad. Very sad.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
And you thought there is never a girl catching Pokémon? Laughing
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Sloggett wrote:

I'm one of them. I Always play as the female trainer in Pokemon games. Most of the guys in my FFXIV guild play female lalas or miquote as well. Never ran into a girl playing a guy character though, voice chat would give it away anyway. While COD bros mighty be all eww girls, anime fans and JP game fans seem more open to playing as female characters. Often times they prefer it to males. /v/ constantly has threads on being the female trainer in Pokemon. Go included.
futuresoon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I live in the University district of Seattle and the groups I see at night are generally a mix of men and women, presumably students. During the daytime I see more individuals, and it's a gender balance there too. It's the economic data that surprises me--again, I see college students from a well-respected but not terribly famous school, and I'm pretty sure the Pokemon Go culture on Tumblr is mostly high school and college students with some twentysomethings, and Tumblr isn't known for being a rich people hangout. I find that survey data so hard to believe that I wonder if they're wrong on the gender ratio, too, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was one given that there are more female mobile games than men anyway.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:

I can think of one possible reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2