• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece: the Next Generation

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
So, the Funimation era is upon us, any thoughts?

My personal pro/con list is below:

Pros:
Performances do seem to be better, although the episodes so far haven't presented a lot of opportunity to really "act" yet (mostly one-liners and the such). Nami got some good lines in there though, and seems to be an improvement.

Japanese eyecatches, previews, opening, and ending are left in.

Robin lost that god-aweful Texan accent.

Sanji no longer sounds like Droopy Dog. Not sure I love the new voice, and it'll definitely take some getting used to, but anything's better than that.

Maybes:
Luffy still sounds a bit like the old Luffy, but at least no Krusty the Clown laughing. Yet. I reserve judgement until we hear "serious Luffy", that'll make or break it.

I'm not sure I prefer Chopper's new voice. Neither English VA has matched the adorableness of Ikue Ohtani.

Cons:
Japanese opening and ending themes dubbed into English. Viz got this one right on Naruto, why not Funi?

Zoro is still mistranslated as "Zolo".

Portegas D. Ace is still mistranslated as "Portgas D. Trace". This one's particularly inexcusable in that his real name is writen right on his arm.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:51 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Viz got this one right on Naruto, why not Funi?

Maybe it's policy?

My guess, if you had to compare it to Naruto, is that Naruto is like, a bazillion times more "japanesey" so it'd make sense to have Japanese songs since it's about Ninjas and all of that jazz. One Piece is about Pirates so I dunno, if you took context in to account from a really base level perspective it wouldn't fit?

I dunno. I've never been a big fan of English dubbed OP/EDs.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:39 am Reply with quote
Then that wouldn't explain the BoBoBo Japanese openning, they took a lot of the Japanese stuff out of the show. I think it's just FUNi, they like to go the English route on their TV broadcasts. Remember Yu Yu Hakusho? How about all of the Dragonball Z openners? And there's "Case Closed" and Shin-chan too.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote
Maybe they have a musical director or something on staff and they feel a need to justify the salary. Wink
psychotim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

I'm not sure I prefer Chopper's new voice. Neither English VA has matched the adorableness of Ikue Ohtan

i dont mind his voice when he is in his normal stage. but to keep it as high pitch when he turns into his big muscular form. They should have done what viz did, have his voice deeper. it was viz right, im drawing a blank right now. also i like zoros, and Sanji old voices better. not saying i hate the new ones, just that it will take some getting use to.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Zoro is still mistranslated as "Zolo".

Portegas D. Ace is still mistranslated as "Portgas D. Trace". This one's particularly inexcusable in that his real name is writen right on his arm.

it's not a mistranslation. they did it, because they thought changing the names would confuse people were already watching the show. supposedly the original names are being used on the dvd versions. i agree on the songs though, even though i didn't think they sounded bad dubbed.

on another note: did anyone notice the white guy is black again?
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

i don't mind his voice when he is in his normal stage. but to keep it as high pitch when he turns into his big muscular form.

Oooh, I never like 4Kid's "monster" voice with him. I like that he keeps the same voice between forms, and hope Funi returns to that version. Yet another "wait and see" element. We still also haven't seen much in the way of things that they could ruin through visual editing.

Quote:

it's not a mistranslation. they did it, because they thought changing the names would confuse people were already watching the show.

It's still a mis-translation, regardless of their reasons. this is a perfect time for a clean break on such errors. I'm sure the change in Robin and Sanji's voices would throw people off as well, this isn't the time to be caring about such things, it's the time to finally get them right, clean break, and then move forward on sounder footing.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

It's still a mis-translation, regardless of their reasons. this is a perfect time for a clean break on such errors. I'm sure the change in Robin and Sanji's voices would throw people off as well, this isn't the time to be caring about such things, it's the time to finally get them right, clean break, and then move forward on sounder footing.

Pretty much everything you see in the TV version was agreed upon between Toei, Funimation, and Cartoon Network and we were told about all of this stuff beforehand. They are keeping the names that way because this is how they are spelled in the Viz graphic novels.

The correct names (Zoro and Ace) will be on the uncut DVD version.

On a side note I heard they got approval from Toei and Eiichiro Oda on the new voices.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Pretty much everything you see in the TV version was agreed upon between Toei, Funimation, and Cartoon Network and we were told about all of this stuff beforehand. They are keeping the names that way because this is how they are spelled in the Viz comics.
Yeah, this is one of those situations where, no matter how much we or Funimation might have wanted to change some things, someone at CN or Toei thought it should remain. (Logic be damned since the voices are now radically different overall and there are other changes.)

Personally, given the vast improvement overall to the broadcast version, and the fact we will have uncut DVDs (hell, even an uncut English dub for folks like me!) complaining at all seems almost childish. Best to make positive statements at this point. It's not like Toei can't turn around and go back to 4kids or some other company.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Far as the opening went, even if its in English did it really bother you that much? It caught me as odd because I never have seen a raw or fansub of One Piece, so I wasn't sure if that was what it really was. From my perspective it was really well done - enough to convince me that it was the actual opening - as oppose to the rap they had on the 4kids one.

I liked Sanji's old voice better to be honest. I simply thought it fit him more :S Never heard Nico's accent, but Texan? That's just downright ridiculous and makes no sense for her character
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Pretty much everything you see in the TV version was agreed upon between Toei, Funimation, and Cartoon Network and we were told about all of this stuff beforehand.

That changes exactly nothing. And it was only Zolo in the manga AFTER it was Zolo in the $kids cartoon. Before that it was Zoro.

Quote:

I liked Sanji's old voice better to be honest. I simply thought it fit him more :S Never heard Nico's accent, but Texan? That's just downright ridiculous and makes no sense for her character

When she first appeared she had a sort of cowboy hat. Cowboy hat = Texan. If you're an idiot.

Apparently.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
Isn't the Zoro = Zolo thing a legal issue with whichever Hollywood studio owns "Zorro"? You can't exactly blame Funi/4kids/Toei/anybody else for that problem, because they'd probably have to pay rediculous sums of money to those rightsholders just to smooth out one little R/L issue.
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:54 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Isn't the Zoro = Zolo thing a legal issue with whichever Hollywood studio owns "Zorro"? You can't exactly blame Funi/4kids/Toei/anybody else for that problem, because they'd probably have to pay rediculous sums of money to those rightsholders just to smooth out one little R/L issue.

From my understanding that is exactly it.

And I personally don't mind it. I"m really loving Funi's adaptation of it and I think that it's far better suited to be distributed to the hungry fans.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:

From my understanding it's not, because there's no legal basis for the claim, but it's an excuse trotted out fairly often.
Lissibith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
I got the feeling those name change things were things Funi HAD to agree to when they took over the project. OP is a huge potential moneymaker. I think I'd agree to some "mistranslations" in the TV version in order to get another bite at that apple. Apparently Toei's being very careful with it this time around - I guess they asked for final approval on a lot of what Funi did, including casting and the songs, phrases and, yes, character and attack names, at least from what was said at the Otakon OP panel and consequent interviews. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that)

As for the dub itself, I personally like it. I either prefer the new voices or call it a pick 'em in every case but Buggy's (I DID think the 4Kids version was just about what I envisioned his English voice to be) and the script was a lot better. But I think part of that's me being a fan of what it was in Japan. The feel and tone of the two eps we've seen so far were a much closer match.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3