• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Puzzle & Dragons X Anime's Streaming Total Reaches 13 Million Views

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
Is 13 million views a record-breaking number or something?
Skerlly Fc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
Is this better than yu gi oh in some aspects? Can anyone tell me please?
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Skerlly Fc wrote:
Is this better than yu gi oh in some aspects? Can anyone tell me please?

I watched the First Four episodes and decided that it was just not that interesting at all, Yugioh has this show beat by a mile.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I liked the kaiju aspect of the first few episodes but I think it's more a side effect of its setting/premise than a main part of the plot.

Too bad because anime needs a few giant monster shows, especially ones without giant robots. And I don't just mean Godzilla.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
China is taking over!!!!

In all seriousness, that is one hell of a market. A lot of money to be made there, and it looks like Japan is finally starting to realize the potential. Unfortunately, it seems like they will watch pretty much anything, regardless of quality though, so maybe it's NOT that great in some respects.

I'm also curious what the Funimation streaming numbers are. I imagine they pale in comparison. Something like this shouldn't be relegated to an obscure streaming service like Funimation.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Not really. Twin Star Exorcist, which is another Studio Pierrot show, has garnered over 80 million views in China.
http://www.iqiyi.com/a_19rrhaeqtd.html%20

I think they're finally starting to realize they could make more money through streaming instead of just relying on BD/DVDs.
Skerlly Fc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

Not really. Twin Star Exorcist, which is another Studio Pierrot show, has garnered over 80 million views in China.

I think they're finally starting to realize they could make more money through streaming instead of just relying on BD/DVDs.

Probably because the exorcism theme? But at least the series was good lately(Let´s not bring the Anime vs Manga discussion please)
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

No. It's probably getting reported on because it's some piece of Aniplex propaganda from some click bait site in Japan and ANN needs News article fodder.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

No. It's probably getting reported on because it's some piece of Aniplex propaganda from some click bait site in Japan and ANN needs News article fodder.

I know you have a grudge on anything related to Aniplex but it has nothing to do with the anime Kaioshin_Sama.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

Is there a site that compiles Chinese streaming figures in English? That's pretty incredible.

I agree that streaming is where the industry is finally headed, which is great to see. It took them too long to figure out how to monetize it, but seeing confirmations for second seasons of a lot of shows with poor disc sales is a good sign that they are still making money elsewhere. I only hope they don't start tailoring their product too much toward Chinese sensibilities and censorship(this especially), in order to capitalize on the market at the expense of their own creative desires.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The 13 million views consists of 2 million views in Japan and 11 million views from China.

11 million views from China!? Shocked

That's pretty surprising that the series' streaming is getting more views in China than in Japan. I wonder which video streaming service in China the series is streaming on. Must be something really famous.

relyat08 wrote:
I'm also curious what the Funimation streaming numbers are. I imagine they pale in comparison. Something like this shouldn't be relegated to an obscure streaming service like Funimation.

Yeah, the Funimation streaming numbers are probably pale. Maybe under 1 million or somewhere around that.
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

Aniplex has nothing to do with Puzzle & Dragons tho
Melina Putri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:58 am Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:

That's pretty surprising that the series' streaming is getting more views in China than in Japan. I wonder which video streaming service in China the series is streaming on. Must be something really famous.

People in Japan can just watch this on their TV instead of streaming. Also, new episode is available for streaming in Japan every Thursdays while the TV airing is on Mondays.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1