• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Capcom's Monster Hunter Action Games Get Hollywood Film Project

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
Capcom is getting into the movie business well this is fantastic news and it gives me hope that one day there will be a live action Devil May Cry movie. Very Happy
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
Can't wait to see what the story has in store for us.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:34 am Reply with quote
It's easy to forget, but they really have been in it for a while - the Resident Evil movies, despite what any of us might think of them, made stupid amounts of money.

Remember Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li? From 2009? I hope not, and I'm sorry for bringing it up, but that's another example. I wish I could dig up the old article, but as I recall that one got made due the 1994 Street Fighter movie having a long tail on video and cable, and Capcom reeeeeally wanted more of that. (It, uhh, didn't work out)

Monster Hunter certainly has potential, but I'm not gonna hold my breath until it's further along. That Onimusha movie never made it past this stage.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:16 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Capcom is getting into the movie business well this is fantastic news and it gives me hope that one day there will be a live action Devil May Cry movie. Very Happy

The live-action movie rights to Onimusha and Devil May Cry were both picked up in the past by a hollywood studio. Nothing ever came of them though.
Silver4000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:33 am Reply with quote
So... a fantasy movie?

AnimeLordLuis wrote:

No actor could ever equal the sexiness of the original Dante for that to happen. And since this is Hollywood, we probably would get something like the reboot...
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:08 am Reply with quote
So we will get a movie with protagonists trying to slay a monster but suddenly used a portable barbecue set.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:06 am Reply with quote
Silver: Dunno about sexy, but it's pretty obvious that Jared Leto would make a good Dante.
Hugh Mungus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they're going all in with Monster Hunters, aren't they.

On the other hand, at least there's no side game where suddenly, it's just detective business, and instead of an awesome (if admittedly cliche) adventure movie, we get stuck with "Monster Hunter: Detectives",

Also, about Devil May Cry, odds are it would've turned out like the "masterpiece" that was, DMC, staring DINO; so maybe we should be grateful for that.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Silver4000 wrote:
So... a fantasy movie?

AnimeLordLuis wrote:

No actor could ever equal the sexiness of the original Dante for that to happen. And since this is Hollywood, we probably would get something like the reboot...

Reuben Langdon would be perfect to portray Dante
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
I think that it might work best if they did it direct-to-DVD/BD. This is because a theatrical release can have a better chance of development limbo and because production costs are often higher..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1