• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Oct 29-Nov 4 [2016-11-08]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
It is a shame no one is covering The Great Passage.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Yuri and Yaoi fighting for the top spot Laughing
Dop.L

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Too true. Blame Amazon, they don't seem to have an idea what they're doing, and I'm one of the lucky ones in the UK who's been able to see it from the off.
+ 光

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
That Bungo drop Laughing

+ 光 wrote:
Hm...All Out!! might not have been impressive so far, but (for what its worth) I predict that it might reach a height of 12 in the weekly rankings once over the course of its run.

Nbr 14 this week...not bad! Good job, All Out!!

But I know that's not what counts - it's the cumulative rankings, right? Glad Bungo didn't drop from its current position yet.
Random 21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Jesus Bungou Stray Dogs sure dropped hard. I take it that the flashback arc is over now then Laughing

Nice to see a boost for Classicaloid, if only slight. The Schubert episode was by far the best so far. Also happy to see Poco's Udon World slowly climbing up. That show is really great, it's a shame a lot of people seemed pretty down on it at first because I really love it so much. It feels way closer to Barakamon to me than Sweetness and Lightning, which is good because I need more Barakamon and if this wants to fill the slot then I don't mind at all.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Last week I commented on the top 11 in the cumulative potentially staying put for the rest of the season. And this week I am excited to see that the cumulative top 5 are going to battle out for number 1 the whole season. I am not following Haikyu, but the other 4 titles in the top 5 are very strong.

And LOL on the blurb for making a big deal about Bungo Sray Dogs falling precipitously in the mostly pointless and ever volatile weekly ranking, but not moving at all in the cumulative. Thanks for making me laugh ANN.

MarshalBanana wrote:

IIRC ANN was planning to cover it if the legal stream became available.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Surprised Euphonium has already surmounted Yuri for first. I figured it would have happened eventually considering that it has had consistently higher ratings than Yuri the past few eps especially the most recent one. Hope this performance draws some more interest in the show.

Shippuden looks like it wants to recapture the Chaos Dragon. It has a ways to go if it wants to do so in the culmulative.

Bungou will probably go down in the culmulative later. It looks like it will go back up a little in the weeklies next week though
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I love how Flip Flappers has just increased by 1 place each week on the cumulative chart. At this rate, by the end of the season, it should be in 2nd place! Laughing
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if this has been answered before, but where is Dragon Ball Super? Shouldn't it be here?
+ 光

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Surprised Euphonium has already surmounted Yuri for first. I figured it would have happened eventually considering that it has had consistently higher ratings than Yuri the past few eps especially the most recent one. Hope this performance draws some more interest in the show.

I would normally argue that Eupho gets rated higher purely on animation grounds, but story-wise it had an amazing episode, and totally deserves first place.

zrnzle500 wrote:
Bungou will probably go down in the culmulative later. It looks like it will go back up a little in the weeklies next week though

As long as it's not by more than 3 spots, it won't bother me. There are a few shows breathing down Bungo's neck, but I believe it can pull through.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

I would normally argue that Eupho gets rated higher purely on animation grounds, but story-wise it had an amazing episode, and totally deserves first place.

Well episode 5 of eupho had almost no story so it is getting the grade purely on animation, on the other hand you have Yuri who is seriously stretching there animation budget and re using some of there animation from earlier episode.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Random 21 wrote:
Jesus Bungou Stray Dogs sure dropped hard. I take it that the flashback arc is over now then Laughing

Nice to see a boost for Classicaloid, if only slight. The Schubert episode was by far the best so far. Also happy to see Poco's Udon World slowly climbing up. That show is really great, it's a shame a lot of people seemed pretty down on it at first because I really love it so much. It feels way closer to Barakamon to me than Sweetness and Lightning, which is good because I need more Barakamon and if this wants to fill the slot then I don't mind at all.

Lol, yea, that was the return of the regular timeline of Bungo Stray Dogs. It's not like it was a bad episode. The flashback arc was really just that good.

I agree that Poco's Udon World is closer to Barakamon than Sweetness and Lightning. They are less responsible for the kids (or tanuki kid) in Barakamon and Poco's Udon World so it lets the show focus on the problems of the adults versus the problems of the child.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, that Flip Flappers increase interests me. I haven't watched the episode yet, and have been very lukewarm towards the series thus far, so I hope I enjoy the 5th. Feels weird seeing Poco's 4th as its highest rate so far, given how it's the episode I liked the least. Then again, I haven't been feeling much love for the series for a while now. And, on the exact opposite side, we have Magical Girl Raising Project ranking lower for the episode I liked the most of the show thus far, and what saved it from being dropped.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
+ 光 wrote:

Well episode 5 of eupho had almost no story so it is getting the grade purely on animation, on the other hand you have Yuri who is seriously stretching there animation budget and re using some of there animation from earlier episode.

Maybe the first 4 episodes of the second season that may be true, but the idea that its story and characterization is nothing to write home about in the first season and the fifth episode of the second strikes me as incorrect. KyoAni's Myriad Colors Phantom World never really got rated this high even though the animation quality was just about the same. By that measure, even in the first four episodes, it's not just animation quality. And the idea that not much happened story wise in a competition performance in a story based around a school band seemed particularly specious.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Keijo steadily climbing up. I should really catch up on Eupho soon, same with Flip Flappers and Izetta (Though I think I'll finish the show out with the dub).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2