• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Biggest Animation Highlights of Fall 2016

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
That clip from Flip Flapers looked good, I may have to check it out.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
We've certainly got a lot of shows that look amazing this year, but you missed the best one.

Gakuen Handsome is saving anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
3rdHalf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Waaat?
Vacuum Butt Cannon not on the list?
Scytalle
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
This was a great article. Informative, well researched, and interesting. Thank you for taking the time to put it together.

I'm happy to see some of the shows I thought were most visually impressive on there, as well as some shows I haven't yet started watching, but might have to after this.

It's also nice to learn about some of the names attached to these various projects. I've been following studios and directors, but it's always good to have more people to keep an eye out for.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Hibike sticks out like a sore thumb. But since the writer of this piece is a biased KyoAni fan he had to include it. smh
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
#863661 wrote:
Hibike sticks out like a sore thumb. But since the writer of this piece is a biased KyoAni fan he had to include it. smh

I sure am anxious to see your well-reasoned argument in support of your position.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
#863661 wrote:

I sure am anxious to see your well-reasoned argument for why that show has bad animation.

Did you even read the piece? He even admits animation isn't the show's forte, he just includes it because of the details. Hibike looks great but hasn't had any real highlight when it comes to animation.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
The thing about Yuri on Ice! is that while the skating animation has been truly impressive, they've been cutting corners elsewhere and been close to deadline. Interestingly, they've been giving Crunchyroll an earlier version before final corrections so that Crunchyroll can simulcast without delays. So the Crunchyroll streaming version is significantly different from what has been shown on Japanese broadcast TV, differences than in some case exceed the cleanup for most shows going from TV to Blu-Ray and DVD release.

I can't really disagree with their decisions, and it's something that happens, especially when they must be pouring so much effort into the amazing 2D drawn skating sequences.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
#863661 wrote:
Did you even read the piece? He even admits animation isn't the show's forte, he just includes it because of the details. Hibike looks great but hasn't had any real highlight when it comes to animation.

Thanks for responding so quick. It's unclear to me how much close detail work matters to die-hard sakuga fans. Personally, I was very impressed by how the intricacies of the instruments were captured in the animation of the show's performances. I also think that the facial animations (expressions, eye motion, etc.) has been really stellar this season. All of this consistent attention to detail seemed to make up for a lack of sweeping or dynamic motion in the animation (or what the article's author refers to as "flashy" animation).

Regardless of whether that kind of stuff is important to you, it's clearly important to the person who wrote the article, and I'm not sure you can really claim that its only on the list because the author is biased towards Kyoto Animation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
The thing about Yuri on Ice! is that while the skating animation has been truly impressive, they've been cutting corners elsewhere and been close to deadline. Interestingly, they've been giving Crunchyroll an earlier version before final corrections so that Crunchyroll can simulcast without delays. So the Crunchyroll streaming version is significantly different from what has been shown on Japanese broadcast TV, differences than in some case exceed the cleanup for most shows going from TV to Blu-Ray and DVD release.

I can't really disagree with their decisions, and it's something that happens, especially when they must be pouring so much effort into the amazing 2D drawn skating sequences.

Everything past the first couple of episodes and the opening has looked progressively worse in Yuri on Ice. I haven't watched the latest episode yet but this scene from ep4 made me laugh. It looks so bad.

https://u.nya.is/fbbfct.webm
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
#863661 wrote:

Yeah it does, but only because its so far and above all the other show that comparing them makes little sense, there not even on the same realm of existence.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
It's not as bad as the f***ing election, but the lack of Shelter in this article AND the forum still baffles me.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
#863661 wrote:
John Thacker wrote:

Everything past the first couple of episodes and the opening has looked progressively worse in Yuri on Ice. I haven't watched the latest episode yet but this scene from ep4 made me laugh. It looks so bad.

https://u.nya.is/fbbfct.webm

Hm. I would have thought that people posting on ANN would have SEEN anime before, but clearly you haven't, so to educate: THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. IN ALL SERIES. Animators are always under a deadline, and the version that hits the screen is oftentimes FAR from the finished product. The difference in animation quality once the discs come out will be the difference in the quality between the original Eva TV show and the recent movies--a world apart.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
How can y'all leave Drifters out like that? Crying or Very sad That's messed up, I'd argue it deserves a mention too (the article is nice though, discrediting it is not my intention).
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:56 am Reply with quote
How dare did they missed out Drifters? That's a pure organic shounen eye candy that slashes those generic moe loli shounen animes, the animation slayed just like hellsing. Yuri!! On ice has 2 versions and ofcourse the edited version is alot better than the 1 cr is currently airing. I would love to commend Magic Kyun! Reinessance the character design + animation is just pure gorgeous and it graduates from those generic shoujos imo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2