• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Nov 5-11 [2016-11-15]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm simultaneously sad that Yuri on Ice took a small tumble...but glad to see Natsume up there as #1 in the cumulative Very Happy It's a nice feel to see Natsume get some appreciation and love!

Now if only I could get affordable blu rays of it.... xD
#Hgeronimo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh yea, Flip Flappers.
Great too see it up there. <3
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Go Occultic; Nine. Go and try your best to keep yourself clear from the last five.
Go Izetta. Go and try your best to keep yourself on the last five.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Super glad Natsume season 5 is leading and episode 5 of Flip Flappers ranked so high; they both deserve it!!

I'm not surprised Yuri on Ice got knocked down (seriously, MAPPA we get it!! Yuuri's Eros routine looks cool but animated something else for his short program already!!) but, Sound! episode 6 wasn't that bad even if you factor in the 3.5 minutes of Shuichi ruining my Kumiko x Reina screentime.
+ 光

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
See? Bungou will* be okay Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Last edited by + 光 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Ok, where the heck is Dragon Ball Super? It's been three weeks now!
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:

I'm not surprised Yuri on Ice got knocked down (seriously, MAPPA we get it!! Yuuri's Eros routine looks cool but animated something else for his short program already!!) but, Sound! episode 6 wasn't that bad even if you factor in the 3.5 minutes of Shuichi ruining my Kumiko x Reina screentime.

But why would they animate something else for the SP? Figure skaters perform the same two programs throughout the entirety of the season, the whole point is how they polish them over the course of it. We've already seen a few changes in Eros and a few additional cuts and tweaks here and there -the iconic tongue was added, Yuuri landed the quad salchow and the final pose has been redrawn. The animators are already wearing themselves thin animating so much continuous skating -no still frames or anything of the sort, all still fluid motion even with wonky limbs- I think people's expectations are misguided here? The storytelling has not lost any quality or rhythm whatsoever, so downrating it because the animation is not at its peak seems silly

Meanwhile: Izetta unsurprisingly pulling a Dimension W on the weeklies
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Sound! episode 6 wasn't that bad even if you factor in the 3.5 minutes of Shuichi ruining my Kumiko x Reina screentime.

I have to agree. While it wasn't as good as the previous episode, people seem to be weirdly harsh on this episode. We'll see what happens to tomorrow's ep.

I don't disagree with the top shows this week though
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Nice one Natsume. And the top 5 in the cumulative continue to reign.

Wingbeats wrote:
Now if only I could get affordable blu rays of it.... xD

http://www.rightstufanime.com/category/Blu~ray,DVD?keywords=natsume%27s%20book%20of%20friends
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
keichitsu0305 wrote:

But why would they animate something else for the SP? Figure skaters perform the same two programs throughout the entirety of the season, the whole point is how they polish them over the course of it. We've already seen a few changes in Eros and a few additional cuts and tweaks here and there -the iconic tongue was added, Yuuri landed the quad salchow and the final pose has been redrawn. The animators are already wearing themselves thin animating so much continuous skating -no still frames or anything of the sort, all still fluid motion even with wonky limbs- I think people's expectations are misguided here? The storytelling has not lost any quality or rhythm whatsoever, so downrating it because the animation is not at its peak seems silly

They could still use new animation rather than recycling, I remember how much crap gundam seed (rightfully) got for doing that. But honestly re using Yuri animation was a small problem compared to how bad the animation were for the other routine, they've been hyping Pynchi (or w/e) for a few episodes and we end up getting terrible CG sequence...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

They could still use new animation rather than recycling

Why would they waste valuable resources in that? That's like saying Sailor Moon shouldn't recycle the transformation sequences, or that shonen anime shouldn't recycle the special attack animation. Recycling is a natural part of anime productions -even series with stable quality like Haikyuu do it a lot, how many times have we seen Ushiwaka's serve? And no one's giving them grief for that. Especially in the case of Yuuri's Eros program that already looks really good in general -no wonky limbs for sure and very few off-model shots-. I'd rather they try to make the most they can of the other programs than waste time fixing something that doesn't need it. I sure wish Phichit or Leo's SP had looked better, but the animation is fluid, and hopefully they'll come full glory in the BDs.

I also have no idea of where you're seeing Phichit's program is "terrible CG". The only moments of the choreo that might look CG (and that's if you squint tbh, I'm not entirely sure they are) are the jump parts, the rest of it looks like traditional 2D through and through. The only real problem is the wonky limbs.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Why would they waste valuable resources in that? That's like saying Sailor Moon shouldn't recycle the transformation sequences, or that shonen anime shouldn't recycle the special attack animation. Recycling is a natural part of anime productions -even series with stable quality like Haikyuu do it a lot, how many times have we seen Ushiwaka's serve? And no one's giving them grief for that.

I think it's because it's 2 min straight of similar animation where shows like Haikyu do a 10 seconds here or there. There probably actually more reused animation overall in Haikyu but you just don't see it all at once. Personally, I'm fine with it. I'd rather see the routine use the same animation with a few changes and have it look good and get to see other routines than look at a consistently off model animation for the same routine and not see as much of the other routines. The only thing that bugged me about the other routines this week was the oversized heads. Otherwise, they really weren't that bad. I think people are just expecting a lot.

Anyway, it looks like the top 5 shows are all pretty close in score so we'll probably keep seeing a lot of movement back and forth. That's a good sign for the season. It means there's a lot of top tier shows.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
meiam wrote:

Why would they waste valuable resources in that?

Cause watching something you already saw is boring?

Pretty simple really:

Could it have been better?

Answer: yes, therefore score goes down.

As for Pichit, I just went back and rewatch it, I can't believe you couldn't notice the CG, it's like his face is made of plastic and you have entire segment where the camera is stationary and he just goes left and right. His arm move like sticks and whenever he's doing any kind of rotation it's so incredibly stiff, it's seems like there just making his model do 360, didn't even bother having some movement in there. And the jump... sigh. There's a few actual drawing in there when they do close up of his face, but 90% of it is just CG, and not particularly good at that.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Damn straight, Flip Flappers is finally at number one where it belongs (yes I know it's not cumulative, fight me!).
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
meiam wrote:

Why would they waste valuable resources in that?

Cause watching something you already saw is boring?

Pretty simple really:

Could it have been better?

Answer: yes, therefore score goes down.

As for Pichit, I just went back and rewatch it, I can't believe you couldn't notice the CG, it's like his face is made of plastic and you have entire segment where the camera is stationary and he just goes left and right. His arm move like sticks and whenever he's doing any kind of rotation it's so incredibly stiff, it's seems like there just making his model do 360, didn't even bother having some movement in there. And the jump... sigh. There's a few actual drawing in there when they do close up of his face, but 90% of it is just CG, and not particularly good at that.

You're watching the show for the wrong reasons then, or not paying attention to what actually matters. It's not about "watching the same thing", it's about Yuuri's character development. Every time we've seen him perform Eros he's had a different mindset, therefore it's meaningful and important. To me, that makes each of them unique. His first Eros as a charming woman awakening to his sexuality is different to the second one in which he grows insecure and forgets about his own story, and different from the third in which he embraces his own self as "the man who stole Victor from the world". Besides, the choreo for Eros is so good and its animation is second only to the Stay by my Side in episode 1, so I actually don't get bored with it. Have probably watched it at least a dozen times per each episode that it has appeared in. Like I said, if recycling of good animation is such a deal-breaker for you, maybe anime isn't your medium

I'm staring real hard at my screen and still fail to see the "terrible" CG of Phichit. Or any CG at all. If it is CG, they're doing a damn good job at making it look 2D because the movements don't have that unnatural uncanny feeling and the colors and shades don't look tridimensional, or as if the character and the background didn't match. Definitely doesn't look like Ajin or Berserk. Is it terribly off-model? Sure. Could it look way better? Definitely. But even with the animation shortcomings, the fun and love of the program come through in the choreography so to me that's a very minor gripe in the grand scheme of things
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2