• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Film's 1st Teaser Shows Cast at Press Conference

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PsychoPearl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:34 am Reply with quote
I wish we could've gotten a visual for it to judge it on.
Enturax

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:53 am Reply with quote
Besides the fact that the show is pretty damn unlogical and (at least at the beginning) stupid as hell, and the fact that they're casting skinny japanese people to it, it'll flop like titanic. No, not the movie...
PsychoPearl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
Enturax wrote:
the fact that they're casting skinny japanese people to it

I would agree with you if it was an adaptation of anywhere from part 1-3, but this is part 4 where Araki's style starts to draw his characters looking more skinnier and flamboyant. You could see the difference in artstyle by the end of DiU.

This image shows the difference:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CW0BxrzUsAA2WUE.png[/url]
Enturax

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
PsychoPearl wrote:
Enturax wrote:
the fact that they're casting skinny japanese people to it

I would agree with you if it was an adaptation of anywhere from part 1-3, but this is part 4 where Araki's style starts to draw his characters looking more skinnier and flamboyant. You could see the difference in artstyle by the end of DiU.

This image shows the difference:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CW0BxrzUsAA2WUE.png[/url]

Maybe, but the characters are pretty damn square-ish regardless. This is something japanese people lack in their physique.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or do I have the feeling that this one will flop badly? I can't imagine something like this working well,at all. I haven't read the manga and have seen very little of the anime,I can't imagine something like "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" working in live-action. Only animated. This'll probably be one of the biggest flops in Japanese movie history. Count on it.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Enturax wrote:
the fact that the show is pretty damn unlogical and (at least at the beginning) stupid as hell...

I don't understand how the series is "stupid as hell" and "unlogical". If I know something about the show, is that its story is both entertaining and with a penchant of solving battles with strategy, beside being truly weird in a fantastic way.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:14 am Reply with quote
I *just* managed to stop my head from exploding and my body from twisting into fantastic shapes when I read "Jojo film adaptation directed by Takashi Miike," so now I've collected my thoughts and can comment. Especially now that I've cleaned that white stuff off of my monitor that somehow got there when I read "Jojo film adaptation directed by Takashi Miike."

I guess there's no good reason to be optimistic. An effective Jojo film adaptation would, in my opinion, be about 2, 3, or 4 hours long, would need a Hollywood budget and resources, handmade gore SFX instead of that CGI crap, an international cast (glaring reason #1 that Part 4 is being adapted over others, rather than the anime), and finally, a director with the singular vision to re-interpret the story in his own way and bring a different tone to it, while also remaining faithful to the storyline itself.

This movie will meet none of these qualifications and will likely just be trying to ape the manga's style and imagery 100%, with CGI effects. Miike is a great filmmaker, but these days he has conformed to mainstream Japanese film sensibilities, and this movie will feel like a typical Japanese manga adaptation film, I would think.

Nevertheless, with memories of Full Metal Yakuza, Visitor Q, Happiness of the Katakuris, Ichi the Killer, and the episode he directed for Masters of Horror that was so nasty it shocked Mick Garris and the heads at Showtime, I will be curious to see what Miike does with Jojo.
Zimba

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
Looks Good!
Zimba

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for this!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1