• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Please Tell Me! Galko-chan GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
I respect the series for it's frankness and pre-ordered it mostly because it reminded me of Towa Oshima's High School Girls. Sure it can be a little crude but it's at least realistic. I like the use of color may be a little bright and seemingly garish in some places but it's nice to see that color is being used in some Manga as opposed to the more traditional black and white. Other than DBZ Color and Tokyo Pop's release of Dolis I can't think of much else in the way of Manga in color that has been published in U.S markets. So for me that's another thing in it's favor
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
Anime has given us Valkyrie Drive, Senran Kagura, and Cross Ange's prison rape. If there's room for that (and the people who vociferously defend it to the tooth), then there's room for women frankly discussing their bodies outside of a sexual context without it being considered "gross". (Not that I disagree with the reviewer--some people just don't like discussing that stuff, which is fair.)

That said, that's only part of the reason I loved the anime. I just really loved the cast, man. It's so easy to fall in love with everyone. They're the friends you wished you had in high school.

I don't know who wrote it (I think it was Caitlin Moore), but she pointed out that even the invasive questions from the boys aren't so much coming from malice so much as really misplaced curiosity. I appreciate that.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
If any grown-ass adult is squeamish about periods, they can turn in their big boy/big girl card until they get over it.

I love Galko-chan, easily one of my favorites this year. The anime was gold, I bought the manga day one, and the Galko nendo sits proudly on my desk. Hope we get another season of anime.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
If the margin bios bother you, then don't ever try to read a Danielewski novel, 'cause you'd probably go mad. Laughing
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Admittedly, I've only observed Galko-chan from a distance, but I'm still unsure about it. I respect it immensely for talking about taboo topics, but I can't help feel that the breast stuff isn't really that removed from fanservice. (Actually, I think I'm just jealous that I can't talk frankly like they can.)

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
If the margin bios bother you, then don't ever try to read a Danielewski novel, 'cause you'd probably go mad. Laughing

Wow, I really did not expect to see him referenced here. Probably needless for me to point out, but his formatting stuff usually fits with the tense atmosphere he's creating, so obviously works a lot better than the awkwardness of the side-bios in a comedy manga.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
If any grown-ass adult is squeamish about periods, they can turn in their big boy/big girl card until they get over it.
Why should they? It's gross to hear about and it's grosser to experience. Expelling bodily waste is something disgusting we deal with it regardless of gender. That said, I'm glad the author is willing to tackle the many needs that come with being a female who expels bodily waste.

Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Admittedly, I've only observed Galko-chan from a distance, but I'm still unsure about it. I respect it immensely for talking about taboo topics, but I can't help feel that the breast stuff isn't really that removed from fanservice. (Actually, I think I'm just jealous that I can't talk frankly like they can.)
I feel you. Discussing these topics feels relatable and/or gives us a new perspective then fan service interrupts it. The worst part is that Galko-chan discusses the female body as part of nature and then objectifies it. It's backwards thinking.

You're jealous of not being able to talk frankly? This is the internet, people talk frankly on here all the time. They even talk frankly about specific people too. It's much worse on here, trust me.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
I feel you. Discussing these topics feels relatable and/or gives us a new perspective then fan service interrupts it. The worst part is that Galko-chan discusses the female body as part of nature and then objectifies it. It's backwards thinking.

Not trying to be in-your-face, just legit curious: how do you feel Galko-chan objectifies? I never really got that vibe from the series. It always felt very respectful of its women. They could have a locker-room shot that didn't feel skeevy at all, just the definition of incidental. (It also poked fun at the concept by pointing out how dumb the boys looked, being all thirsty over the idea of it Laughing )
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Not trying to be in-your-face, just legit curious: how do you feel Galko-chan objectifies? I never really got that vibe from the series. It always felt very respectful of its women. They could have a locker-room shot that didn't feel skeevy at all, just the definition of incidental. (It also poked fun at the concept by pointing out how dumb the boys looked, being all thirsty over the idea of it Laughing )
Mind being more cautious with your quote, it was really confusing. As for your question, sure, there are some situations that are handled very well. Despite that, unnecessary service that appeals to the fans is still there and that's what annoys me.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:07 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:

Being a casual observer I can't say how much these things actually occur vs. how much fans mention the scenes on the internet, but i've seen the work joke about Galko's breast size like any other "the schoolgirl has BIG BOPS" series. and so on with galko wearing bikinis that just cover her nipples and nothing else, the exaggerated bounce shots in the anime...

i do have personal reasons to dislike anime breast jokes, but ignoring that, i mean, fanservice series will always exist. i just don't get why people think this isn't one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1